Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Thread

Hi Everyone-

Does anyone have suggestions on what brand of thread to use to machine quilt? Which is better....cotton or polyester and what brand?

Re: Quilt Thread

If your quilt is made from cotton then absolutely use cotton. The main reason being that polyester is a stronger thread, being synthetic, over time it will wear through the threads of you cotton fabric. If it is a utility quilt that you don't intend having for a long time then I suppose it won't matter. Mind you some of our antique heirlooms started life as utility quilts so who knows.

As for brand, I'm very partial to Aurifil, it sews beautifully, both for piecing and quilting and it comes in different weights. On my quilting machine I mostly use either Signiture or Rasant. Brand is a personal thing as some machines have a preference for a particular thread or more to the point, dislike some threads. So really just try a few but preferably 100% cotton unless you are doing decorative work and want to use the nice rayon thread for a shiny finish.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Ditto! Definitely match your thread to your quilt. A cotton quilt = cotton thread for piecing and quilting. Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Lynn, you mentioned using quilting thread for piecing and quilting. I've always use regular Coats & Clark thread for piecing. Am I making a mistake in doing that?
        Bec

Comment

Bec we don't have Coats & Clarke readily available in Australia, if at all, so I am unfamiliar with it, if it's cotton then it is fine. My comment was because the Aurifil thread really is a great thread that will double for both piecing and quilting without any issues. Really you can use any thread but the reason I gave above should be considered, it is best to match your thread to your fabric if possible.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I have had great luck with EssentialPro thread from ConnectingThreads.com. I have used both the Poly and cotton. It is really inexpensive and works great. I used the large spools in the long arm. I have completed 3 large quilts with my cream spools and you can hardly tell they have been used. It is about $10 for cotton cones, $6 for poly cones and the small spools of cotton for my standard machine are on sale for $1.74. These small spools have 3 times as much thread as guterman and other brands that are much more expensive. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. They were all very informative. I saw a video that uses Isacord polyester thread. The user said that brand thread is thin but strong. I didn't know about using the same thread as my quilt type. Did anyone hear about Isacord thread before? I guess I should look at my local shops to see what they sell. I've bought Guiterman before but it's really expensive.

Thanks again for all your comments. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I have to open up and say I would avoid Rayon thread (in machine embroidery work it is often recommended, but in cases where the product may be laundered it quite often fades - completely). Polyester thread is strong (usually) but like Lynn said it can wear at your cotton fibers and cut through over time. I would avoid it, too.

I personally use Guiterman and love it - agree it is more expensive, but our creations from the heart are worth it.
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thank you Sandy and Lynn. I've learned so much!

Comment

Working...
                  X