i'm new,too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm new,too

I just joined the site a few days ago, and I'm having fun! I'm not very good with the computer stuff, but one thing I know how to do really well is order fabric and things for quilting, on-line. I love MSQS. I have been quilting for 30 or so years and I teach college classes for quilters. My biggest passion is helping others learn and love quilting. My students would tell you my favorite word is "accuracy". I preach it and teach it, not because I believe in perfection but because I believe if we aim for accuracy we'll come a lot closer than if we don't aim for it. Does that make sense to anyone? I don't just preach it tho, I teach the little tricks that bring us closer. The biggest turn off to new quilters is to work hard and long, invest money, and have something in the end that won't lie flat enough to quilt. Then they have to spend hours trying to fix it or quit. The old saw "It'll quilt out" just doesn't cut it with me. I am not a perfect quilter either. I don't teach perfection just "striving for for accuracy". Wow, I got carried away with my soap-box. Sorry! I live in a town of nine thousand in south central Illinois. The closest quilt shop is 40 miles away. Until four years ago, we lived in West St. Louis Co. Mo.. We retired and moved back home. You can see why I've become really good at on-line quilt shopping. Hope you all will be my friends!

Re: i'm new,too

I used to watch Kaye Wood on PBS and her shows targeted "pointless people" with part of the lessons as making points match was not a problem and other shows for "pointed people". My mom was a bearcat about corners and points matching. I think accuracy in cutting helps us achieve this and rotary cutters have revolutionized the cutting process and accuracy. Haste is not a word or speed we should ever get into.

Welcome and your comments are true.

Sue

Comment

Welcome! You will definitely enjoy this site. My favorite saying is "quality not quantity".
      Susan

Comment

Welcome to the best quilting forum around. We're a very diversified group and we have lots of good conversations. Help and new ideas are abundant here....just ask. I understand what you mean about being miles and miles from the nearest quilt shop. I live in the middle of nowhere in Missouri. I love it here except for the lack of shopping. I do a lot of purchasing online from MSQC and a few others. No tutorials come close to comparing with Jenny's...she's so enthusiastic and makes you feel like you can achieve everything. I've been quilting for about 50 years and still turn out some great quilts and some no-so-greats! For me the fun is in the doing. I took early retirement almost three years ago. Before then I dreamed of having all the time I wanted to make quilts and now it's a reality. Visit often and let us get to know you....Barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Hi New Members!!! I'm fairly new here too and just love the Forum Community. It's true, if you have any questions or problems you're stuck on, just ask. These people are great!

Welcome!!

Alana
          Alana
          To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
          alanashideaway.blogspot.com
          https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

Working...
          X