quilter with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilter with MS

hate to advertize my MS but if anyone else out there is in the same boat I'd love to find u-. My young at heart wears out too easily now and I'm determined to keep up and moving every chance I get. married-2 children, 25 and 30, 3 grands, 2, 3, and 6, same state same county same family same phone number I am my daddy's daughter

Re: quilter with MS

Lisa, I don't know any quilters with MS, but my heart is there with you. I have a SIL who lives in Israel who suffers with it, a cousin who is in her late 70's who has it, and lost a nephew two years ago to it. It is a very difficult disease to live with! You just need to stay in out of the heat and know when to stop a while and rest, right?

Hugs!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Bless you, Lisa. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with the challenges that MS brings.

Comment

I don't know of any fellow quilters with MS but be sure to take care of yourself. I have epilepsy and know that there are times when the spirit is willing but the body is not. You are an important person and need to take care. My heart goes out to you.
        Susan

Comment

Hi Lisa and welcome from Canada. I have friends who have MS. Keep your chin up.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

lisaslair -

I have MS- diagnosed in 2001 and Copaxone daily injections keep me going. The heat is a real enemy so I stay inside during the heat waves. I manage my MS very well and most people would not know I have it, except my family knows how I struggle with memory . One of my quilting buddies also has MS and she suffers with leg strength and used a cart for long shopping days etc.
            I streamlined my life by getting out of all volunteer clubs and things that could become stressful as stress is a major factor in my relapses.
            Do what you have to do to stay healthy and happy even when it involves the word NO!!!!!!!

Good luck,
            Dianne

Comment

Hi Lisa, I am new to the forum and still trying to figure out how to register for the free stuff, lol. I have what is called Mixed Connective Tissue Disease which consist of overlaping autoimmune diseases of Lupus, MS, RA, Sjogrens Syndrome, and Raynauds. I had surgery for abdominal adheasions a year and a half ago and my colon was nicked in the process. I developed sepsis and went into septic shock. I had a remission prior to that of 3 years. Now, after 7 surgeries to put Humpty back together again I'm back on a full regimen of drugs. Just recently lost feeling in right leg, brain inflamed and experiencing much more memory loss along with all the other things we have to deal with. You of course know all about it. I've always loved quilts and admired those women who do such beautiful work. I'm am a novice and sewing was never my forte. I was an artist but due to tremors can no longer paint. So, I have taken up quilting. I joined a guild and am making some new friends and learning alot from the ladies who don't mind sharing their expertise. I plan to tackle a big project but for now I am making baby quilts as they are easy to complete and gives me the satisfaction of knowing I can finish what I started. Hang in there Lisa, you are not alone with your struggle. I am pleased to meet you!

Comment

Hello Ladies...

I dont have MS but I do have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and Polyarthralgia (fancy way of saying arthritis in many joints). Lupus and MS are closely connected, but my Rhuematologist doesnt feel like I am at the point yet to even worry about testing for MS...yet.

I was lucky, in that my Lupus was caught early enough that it hasnt affected any organs...I'm blessed in that way!

I had to give up my first love....my miniature horses. Physically, I wasnt able to give them the care they needed, and loved them to much to see them not get 100% of their needs met. I couldnt be out in the sun long enough to even brush them like I used to. So I had to find them new homes...but they are well taken care of and for that, I am blessed!

I love quilting, especially when I am stuck in the house for weeks at a time (trying to hide from the sun) It gives me something to do with my mind and my hands. I lose strength in my hands quite a bit, and thats where the pre-cuts come in handy!! For that...I am blessed!!

May God give you all the sight to see all your many blessings, despite the trials we all face!!

For all the new friends I have met on this forum...I am truly blessed!!
                ~Mary
                As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Hi Lisa, Diane, Grandy and MrsWindy,

I don't have MS but I do have Post Polio, Fibromyalgia and a host of other problems too numerous to name. I too have to hide from this killer heat. And the winter is hard on me too with asthma and arthritis. And it seems there are only two seasons lately. Hot and cold. No spring or fall. Fall is my favorite time of year and I love spring too.

Two of the quilts I want to make are of spring flowers. One is nine blocks of embroidered lilacs and butterflies on white. I plan on trimming the quilt with bright pink and/or purple. I will hang it on the wall behind the bed. The other one is printed fabric with lilacs, roses, etc on a black background. I want to make it big enough for the whole bed. So they will kind of coordinate.

I like to paint and draw. I have published a few of my writings. I have three cross stitch projects that I've laid aside for a time. Most of my weakness is in my hands and arms. Sometimes I ride the cart at Walmart simply because pushing a cart absolutely slays me.

I am really looking forward to getting started on these quilts. It is good to find others who are fighting physical adversities. So I am not alone. Anyone of you want to friend me???
                  "Dull women have immaculate houses." Author unknown.

Comment

I'll be your friend Linda!! And we're not that far from each other, I'm in KC on the KS side of the river!!
                    ~Mary

Comment

Thanks. How do we do that??
                      "Dull women have immaculate houses." Author unknown.

Comment

I sent you a friend's request, you should find it at the top of the screen under the NOTIFICATIONS tab.
                        ~Mary

Comment

Hi Lisa, Diane, Grandy and MrsWindy,

I don't have any of those horrible diseases and my heart goes out to you all. I have had artheritis for a number of years now but it far from being "bad". I have had to give up a few things like rock climbing and being on my ambulance's rescue team. They're the ones with the jaws of life cutting up the cars when people get trapped. The usual problems like openning jars and kneeling and sometimes hand sewing (yay for sewing machines). I also was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 5 years ago. But again I've been lucky and have been able to manage it with diet, no drugs. My prayers go out to those of you with those challenging illnesses. Keep you chins up and take each day one at a time. May you always be able to see the blessings you have.

Hugs,
                          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I would love to be your friend.....Barb in Licking
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Wow, so many others with similar disorders to mine. They don't totally know what I have for sure....but have small fiber neuropathy from whatever I have. They have labelled me with MS, Lupus, and so many other things. I understand the memory issues and the fatigue and the heat -- boy do I! Notebooks are with me at all times so I can write down things and not mess up the whole world!
                              I went back to college after having kids and earned a doctorate in Audiology and wham, while in school this hit. Started with a virus - they think it may have been Guianne Barrier Syndrome. Spent a year in a wheelchair. After remitting I had just two years of practice and had to medically give up. I am formally disabled now. Yea, the title means nothing. I, too, have the tremors. Typing is getting more frustrating with more errors. I have been hit for 8 years now. Crocheting thicker smooth cotton is doable for short washcloths, but lacemaking and such are now behind me. I have a list of meds a mile long. I quilt and will do some embroidery by machine. I refuse to let this stop me -- I'm just turning the corner onto a new path in life that I didn't know was there. I use precuts with regular fat quarters and mix them up to make it more personal and creative.
                              I have 5 kids (19 down to twin boys at 10). Some days that is my accomplishment. I, too, have had to say no and change hobbies, habits, preferences, diet,.... However, I am working hard at keeping all that I can. I'm just 41 now. Learning to enjoy the ride is part of our challenges. I absolutely love gardening but the heat makes me feel sick so very quickly. I also have Raynauds. Crazy for us all -- but the strong spirit of the quilters seems, for me, to give me strength and continue with new ideas. God Bless!!
                              Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Comment

Working...
                              X