Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Hawaii

Aloha Everyone,

I'm new to this site and love watching all the videos and have learned a lot. I just started quilting since December and I enjoy it very much. I haven't learned to machine quilt yet. I have to practice but I was wondering how easy is it to do free form quilting on a regular sewing machine? The videos make it look easy. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Re: Hello from Hawaii

Hello Pineapple from New Hampshire! Welcome to the forum. This is a GREAT place to learn and get inspired. I have been quilting for 20 years and have just now begun to do free motion quilting. It can definitely be done on a regular sewing machine. Do you feed dogs drop down, because that is essential to FMQ. Otherwise you can cover them, but that can create drag which makes it more difficult. FMQ requires lots and lots of practice. That is the best tip you'll get anywhere. Work on a small swatch of quilting that can be thrown away until you are comfortable. There are great sites online you can go to for more instructions. Here is probably my favorite: http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-video/ There are many videos on this site. Start at the beginning and go through them all.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome from Vermont! You came to the right place for learning and inspiration. Enjoy!
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Welcome! I haven't tried FMQ yet, but because of the encouragement and learning I've received on this forum, I will be trying it!

Comment

Welcome from Georgia. Hope you enjoy the site.

Comment

Welcome from Missouri. You will have so much fun learning on this site. I've always wanted to make a Hawaiian quilt. They are some of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen. It's good to have you with us. Barb
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from New Jersey! The videos do look easy, because those ladies have had a lot of practice. It'll be easy for you someday, too, and the good news is that the practice is FUN. I love my little practice quilting sandwiches, they have some of my prettiest quilting on them! So jump in with a small project and have fun.
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Aloha and welcome Pineapple..... so glad you joined us.
                You are from my very favorite place on earth and we were there on vacation (AGAIN) this past April
                I only began quilting in January so you are 'older' than I ..... lol
                When I need a tutorial (other than Jenny's awesome MSQS tutorials)..... I go to youtube. Just do a search for machine quilting and you should find many.
                pomaika'i
                ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Welcome! I love FMQ and find it to be the best stress reliever. If you practice some every day you will get the hang of it, just don't get discouraged. Those quilting practice sandwiches, if made big enough, can be found at the bottom of my dog's crate. She loves the padding.
                  Susan

Comment

Welcome from Missouri. I haven't done much FMQ.....but I do believe it will take practice to make it look even. Good luck.

Comment

Hello and welcome from Canadal. This is the BEST place to be. Enjoy and happy learning.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you for replying. I know I have to practice a lot!

Comment

Thank you for the website information. I'm going to check it out. I have a Janome with the feed dogs that drop down so hopefully it will be easier for me.

Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. I want to try and make a Hawaiian quilt one day too.

Comment

Thank you for welcoming me. I hope you enjoyed your stay when you were here. Do you have a favorite island?

Comment

Working...
                              X