Newbie to site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to site

Hello everyone! I am so glad that I found this website. I have been messing around with quilts for about 8 years or so with my mom but have only completed 2 quilts. They turned out pretty good. I did one that was pieced hearts and the other was just a wolf panel and I quilted it by my old machine and it was ok. I had some puckers on the back but nothing major. I want to get more into the piecing again. I enjoyed that. Right now I am working on a quilt for my mother. Her brother/my uncle, which I was very close to, passed away last Tuesday and thought I would make her something that would comfort her. It was on the Quilting World website and I think it was called Signature applique quilt. I am going to machine embroider all of my familys' names on it and date of birth and date of passing under each. I think she will treasure it. I am so excited to learn many things from this site as I know there are a lot of wonderful, experienced quilter and crafters on this site. I found this site thru YouTube when I was looking on how to do tube quilting. If you haven't seen it you should check it out. So easy. I will probably try that next. Have to finish this one for my mom first.

Anyway, I am from Arkansas and I have a son with CML Leukemia that lives with his dad in Dallas and I don't get to see him very much. I miss him so much. I have a wonderful husband that allows me to basically do anything I want. If there is something I want, I get it. LOL. But so does he. We have two fur babies, Abby (6 yr old female Black Lab) and Skeeter (1 yr old female black with white heart shaped spot on her chest, Italian Greyhound/Border Collie). Well, enough gabbing from me. I will be around this site a lot so if you have any sewing or crafty questions, hit me up because I may have the answer. Never know. I hope to make many friends here.

QUESTION: What is your favorite quilt pattern/block?

Happy thoughts and hugs for everyone,
    Kasey
    Last edited by simplysweetscrappers; June 21, 2011, 03:06 PM.
    varta1 twitter

Re: Newbie to site

Hi there Kasey......

So glad you joined us. I live in California and have no fur babies lol. I'm sorry to hear about your son's leukemia and I pray he stays well... it's awful that you don't get to see him often.

I've sewn for years but only began to be really interested in quilting during the first part of this year. My mother was a quilter but for some stupid reason .....I was never interested in following in her footsteps (or should I say 'handprints') until she passed away. I feel her though and I know she would be very happy that I am learning her craft.

I have several favorites. My most recent quilts have been a green grandmother's fan .... a black/white and red star pattern ... and now I have my sites set on a child size quilt done in blue batik (from Jenny's tutorial on applique) and then I have the new Dogwood Trails fabric that I can't wait to turn into a quilt.

Welcome again and we surely want to see photos of your projects.
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Hi Kasey. Welcome from Vermont. I'm new to quilting. Just started in March. I took Jenny's course and have completed 2 quilts; a lap quilt and a queen size made of fleece (ugh). Both are disappearing nine patch (D9P) quilts and came out pretty well. So I have to say that's my favorite because it's the only one I've done. But I have so many on my bucket list. Currently working on a friendship braid lap quilt and would love to try the tube block (one of Jenny's you tube tut's). Jump right in and enjoy!
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Welcome Kasey from Canada.

Here's hoping that your son stays well and sorry to hear you don't get to see him often. I hope you keep in touch by other means. Enjoy your time here. There are many talented and wonderful people on this site. Don't be shy to ask questions and we love to see pictures of your projects.

Take care
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hi kasey...Welcome from Missouri - we're practically neighbors. You will love this site. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and talent that is available to all of us. Sorry to hear about your son. I have a fur baby, a 12-year-old Scotty (Molly). She's up there in years and requires special care for diabetes and allergies. The older she gets the sweeter she gets. Take care....Barb
          Last edited by Bubby; June 21, 2011, 07:03 PM. Reason: typos
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome to our Forum, Kasey! It is wonderful you are doing that signature quilt. That will mean so much to your mother. How thoughtful of you. It must be tough to have your son so far away and going through so much. Maybe your next project can be a quilt for you, as way of giving yourself comfort! You deserve it!

We had a furry pal (Bo), but put him down 2 years ago at the age of 15. I am retired and hubby is thinking about it, so we want to be able to 'pack up and go on a trip' if the desire should strike.

My favorite block??? Wow, that's a tough one. I love looking at magazines for ideas but some have just popped into my head. Now I have to learn how to put pics on here so others can enjoy them. Of course, I have to get a camera! haha!

You will love this site! It is my first experience with a Forum and I am SO glad I chose this one. Great people. And MSQC is an awesome quilt shop to do business with.

Enjoy!
            Cynthia from NH

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut! I will pray for your son and hope you get to see him soon. Your mom is lucky to have such a thoughtful daughter. I have been quilting for almost 20 years and have 3 cats and one dog. I am contemplating moving from my home and moving in with my daughter, son-in-law and three grandkids.
              Susan

Comment

Thank you everyone for the prayers and greetings. I just wanted to say that I also love making quilts for the Quilts for Kids program. It is an awesome program. You can make quilts from your stash or request a quilt kit that gives you the fabric you need to complete the quilt top. You provide the batting and backing and send it back. They go out to mostly children but anyone that is in need. Recently I believe they brought a lot of them to Joplin, MO when they had that horrible tornado and many people were left homeless. I just love doing programs like this. **I also would love to join forces with someone and make a commitment to do 100 pillow cases for the 1 million pillow case challenge and donate them to a nursing home or rehab center or senior citizen center. We don't have really anything out here close but I would love to help someone if they know somewhere that could use them. Let me know. Once again, thank you for all the greetings. I feel so welcome!!!!
                varta1 twitter

Comment

Working...
                X