Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings~

Hi!

My name is Brent, and I'm probably one of two male members here. I'm a 24 year old web and user interface designer by day, and an artist by night. I dabble in many mediums - photography, paint, fiber, woodworking, jewelry, metal, glass, illustration - really anything you can think of, I've done it. I'll do something for a few weeks, then move on to something else, but I always end up coming back to those unfinished projects and getting right back into it. Working with my hands has always been a release for me.

I'm an intermediate sewer, making things like bags, reupholstering furniture, and doing minor alterations for my sister and nieces. I know a little about quilting, but I've never actually made a full quilt from start to finish. I've made a few pinwheel potholders and smaller patchwork projects, but nothing full scale. I'm self-taught, having stuggled for years using an entry-level Singer, and after reading dozens of negative reviews about how unreliable it was, put it back in it's case and gave up sewing for a while. I took the required home-ec courses in high school, where you fiddle around haphazardly on a big industrial Husqvarna trying not to sew through your fingers, knowing nothing about seam allowance or thread tension or even how a lock stitch even happens on a sewing machine, so I definitely learned the hard way.

After wanting to kick my newer Singer down the stairs-- I mean putting it away, a light went on, and I remembered my great grandmother's old Singer 15 from the 50's in the attic. I cleaned her, oiled her, and got her a shiny new belt, and she works like the day she was made. These old mechanical machines never die, even if they sat in an attic for 50+ years. Anyway, that got me right back into sewing. I think it's so awesome that I get to use something my grandmother used, which made me start to think about other heirlooms, like her handmade Afghans. I don't crochet (or are they knitted?) but I'd love to make a few special quilts for family members.

I was looking for tutorials on Youtube on something involving a pillowcase when I stumbled across Missouri Star, and I've been subscribed ever since. I'm excited to be a part of the forums, and to get to know some of you Right now I just finished the top on a patchwork batik table topper, it's batted, backed and basted and waiting to be quilted and bound. Perhaps I can post some photos tomorrow morning

If you'd like to see some of the other things I do, you can check out my Flickr here: http://flickr.com/photos/natchios

Re: Greetings~

Welcome from Ky Brent. You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful and always willing to help or give good advise.We are all like family.
    I checked out some of your work and I am impressed. Beautiful!!!

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut! Your work is VERY impressive! In fact spectacular comes to mind. You will love this group with the tutorials. Glad you rediscovered sewing with the old Singer.
      Susan

Comment

Welcome from Vermont. I'm sure you'll love quilting. So many ways to be creative and put your personal touch on a project. Liked your work. the boxes are fabulous. Enjoy the forum.
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Hi Brent and welcome from Canada. If you want to learn about quilting this is the place to be. There are SOOOO many wonderful people here more than willing to help anytime.

How nice that you have your grandmother's sewing machine. I just recently acquired a Singer machine made in 1948. WOW! What a machine. Enjoy yours and I hope you enjoy quilting as much as we do. Don't hesitate to ask questions and we always love to see pictures. Take care.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Welcome Brent, sounds like you are very talented.!! I hope to see that table runner soon,
            Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome, Brent. It is nice having you on-board. Checked your website....great photography! As a grandmother myself, it is wonderful hearing you are using your GM old Singer! She is smiling down at you, I am sure.
              Enjoy!
              Cynthia

Comment

Welcome Brent! Love your photography and happy to have another vintage Singer user on the boards!
                Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                Pinterest

Comment

Welcome from Missouri. I can't wait to Don't be a stranger......Barb
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Hey Brent! Now I need to change my answer for this week's giveaway. I know Brent and he sews.

Comment

Working...
                    X