X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan M
    replied
    Re: Newbie..to site and quilting

Welcome from Connecticut. Don't worry about your cutting, you will get the hang of it. Some of my cutting errors made their way into a braided rug. Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

Welcome from Missouri. All I can say is we have all been there......have patience and practice, practice, practice. It will improve. In the meantime you might want to try some precuts, no cutting, all sewing fun!

Leave a comment:

• Katherine Vickery Ringo
    replied

Welcome welcome! There are lots of tutorials, videos and help on this forum. We love to see photos of your work! Have fun exploring quilting and getting addicted.

Leave a comment:

• DanielaK
    replied

Girl... you need precuts, less cutting more sewing!! The shop has a great book for Jelly rolls
    http://www.missouriquiltco.com/quilt...na-kinsey.html
    it has some basic patterns that are fun. Also Watch Jenny's Tut's on the site, the MSQc girls have some fun fast quilt demo's you will love to make.

There are some rotory cutting tut's on YouTube, I love my RC & Mat. They are the gems of my quilt notions. I have several.

Leave a comment:

• Angela Ryerse-Multhaupt
    replied

Welcome! I have learned ALOT since I found this site! Very friendly people!

Leave a comment:

• meemeecyn
    replied

Welcome, Kathi! Everyone was a newbie once, right? This is an awesome place to connect with others who share the passion of quilting and the posters are a wealth of knowledge.
    Cynthia from NH

Leave a comment:

• quilter.martha
    replied

Hi Newbie, and welcome to quilting and the forum! I might be abnormal, but I enjoy cutting out my fabric, as long as I measured it correctly! (I have to make myself remember to "measure twice, cut once" all the time.) Are you using a rotary cutter and acrylic ruler? If not, that will greatly help your cutting accuracy.
    Good luck on your second project and post pictures when finished!

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

cutting can be the biggest challenge IMO. it does take a practice. i try to do my cutting when I'm relaxed, not in a hurry to get something done. When I rush-thats when I mess up. Maybe you could start with precuts, doing aminimum of cutting till you feel confident. I just madea small top using jenny 's tutorial on layer cakes. It only takes two cuts. Looks impressive when you're done.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/att...8&d=1307555018

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Welcome from Vermont. I hate cutting to. I'm always off a bit. Precuts are nice.

Leave a comment:

• AQUILTS07
    replied

Welcome, from PA!
    I'm new to quilting as well, and starting my second project. I think the key to cutting is practice and patience
    Taking your time with ensuring accuracy, really helps me.

-April

Leave a comment:

• kathiba194
    started a topic Newbie..to site and quilting

Newbie..to site and quilting

Hi,

I am just beginning to quilt. I enjoy sewing so wanted to give it a try. I have only made one quilt so far, and it was a simple one. I found it was a little to boring. So...now I want to make something more challenging. My biggest problem is cutting the fabric. I HATE cutting. I found that many of the strips I cut were not straight. They had wavy sides. I have arthritis in my hands, but I don't think that was the real problem. I think it has to do with the grain and not getting it straight to start.

I live in Owego, New York. It is beautiful here right now, however, winter and spring were very depressing.

I am looking forward to meeting quilters and learning a lot from this site.

Thanks for any help you might offer me.
Working...
X