New quilter here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New quilter here

Hi, I am a new quilter also but have been a sewer most of my life. I recently had a drapery workroom but closed it down about a year ago.
    I was yearning for something to do with fabric [an addiction I have] and saw some quilted pillow shams. They were quite expensive so I said to myself "I can do that" and found a quilt shop on a trip last Fall and I was hooked. Since then I have made several lap quilts and pieced one for my king bed. It is off to a long armer to be quilted and I am anxious to get it back and on my bed. I am trying to be patient though.

I have bought several fabrics from e-bay and at yard/estate sales as well as local quilt shops. The only LQS that is in my area is actually 45min away so don't get there very often.

There was a quilt show in my area today and I was thrilled and amazed by the quilts in the show and enjoyed the shopping area.

I am looking forward to reading and absorbing lots of information here. I have really enjoyed the tutorials, loved the idea of tube piecing so went and used my 40% off coupon and bought one of the 9 1/2" square rulers and am excited to try that out.

I have joined a quilt guild and have had a good time so far, learned so much and am looking forward to a couple of classes this Summer.

We love to travel so that and quilting are taking up most of my time, that and the computer.

Re: New quilter here

Welcome from Missouri! Sounds like you are off to a brisk start! I, too, live about 45 minutes from any fabric....but I have enough stash that it doesn't really matter! Add pics when you can....we all love to see your work!

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut. Hope you enjoy the site and new friends here.
      Susan

Comment

Hello Claire! Welcome from New Hampshire. Wow, 45 minutes away from fabric is tough. I thought I had it bad that my favorite quilt shop (10 minutes from my house) was closing down, but we have at least 2 more 15 minutes away. I won't complain anymore! Anyway, welcome and enjoy all the inspiration you'll get from this forum!
        When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome from Vermont.
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Sorry if I mislead you, we do have fabric about 20 min away, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks and Joanne are all fairly near but a real quilt shop is 45 min away. I can get a fabric fix sooner if I need one.;0}

Comment

Hi Claire,
              Good luck on you new venture. I was a social worker that am not currently working in that field and I like you had to find something to do. You will absolutely LOVE quilting and will be amazed at how this will demonstrate you creativity. I also am addicted to fabric. I have been sewing for a long time but I sure am enjoying the tutorials. I have been looking for a simple pillowcase pattern and found one yesterday on this site. Enjoy your new adventure as you do not know where it will take you.

Brenda

Comment

Comment

Hello from Australia, Claire. You have chosen a wonderful craft with quilting and it sounds like you are well up and away. Enjoy.

Mary B.

Comment

Working...
                  X