Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to the forum, and new to quilting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to the forum, and new to quilting!

Hi all! This is a first for me as I don't know much about forums or quilting! I just got my first sewing machine for my birthday and have been watching tutorials and reading a lot about quilting for a long time now. I have been a long time knitter/crocheter as well as cross-stitcher and would like to expand to quilting. I have three children that have so many knitted blankets and hats, it's time to make something a bit more sturdy for them to keep special. My biggest problem right now is getting the right tools for quilting. I'm having a hard time collecting just the basic things to start with. I can find them, they just all seem so expensive. I'm very excited to try out the jelly roll and some layer cakes. As well as trying to make a turkey for my mom for a table topper. I can't wait to get started and there are so many things that I would like to try, I don't know where to start!!

Holly
    Montgomery, MN

Re: I'm new to the forum, and new to quilting!

Welcome.. your right... the tools can be expensive.. but don't get too wrapped up in them... Jenny has such wonderful tuts that show how to make great quilts... I have had nothing more than the small size cutting mat for years... (i'm ashamed to say)... but it get's me thru... for lack of a bigger space to cut.. i go to a friend's house where she love to share her space with us on Monday's and we take advantage of her space... bring goodies and chat... (we are "retired" ladies... )... but all that being siad..you can cut your own "strips".. and squares... then follow her tuts... when they hare the DOTD, that's a huge plus, but get a good rotary cutter.. ONE ruler that fits your cutting board nicely (i fold my fabrics so an 18 or so will work.. and give it a try... (sumer in the park is EASY and fun).. I even used a "sheet" from Walmart cause i didn't have any solid on hand ... anywhoooo... welcome.. i an an avid crohet and knitter as well... make doll clothes, baby sweaters and toys... someday when your 3 are grown and off you'll have all this time too!!! In the meantime.. enjoy, cherish and don't worry about the "dust".... LOL Barbara
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Welcome Holly from Canada. You will find this forum has so many talented and wonderful people who are more than eager to help you out should you have any questions. Don't by shy.

Happy quilting
      Monique
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Holly---Welcome from Missouri. I, too, love counted cross-stitch! Just finishing a gorgeous Christmas stocking to welcome my first dil into the family in July. I had made each of my children one as they were born. She never had a stocking with her name on it, so to welcome her........she will have one to coordinate with theirs. Only been quilting about 1 1/2 years, but learning so much. Don't feel you have to get all the rulers, etc. You really can accumulate them as you expand your techniques. Welcome!

Comment

welcome from NC...i am also new to quilting....love it
          unfortunately i am a sucker for tools....and gadgets....and precuts. for that matter i find it hard to resist emails from fabric.com and connectingthreads.com. i am now deleting and not looking at those sites. i find that when i get the fabric i have a hard time using said fabric....cause "i wont have it anymore if i use it". i also do that with paper as i am an avid cardmaker as well.

sick. but fun
          Pam

visit my blog for cards and quilting pictures
          http://www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Holly! Welcome from New Hampshire! I am also an avid knitter and crocheter. I always seem to have a project going to work on in front of the TV. And, I also cross stitch, although not as much anymore. But most of all I am head over hills crazy for quilting. This forum feeds that passion and there are so many helpful ideas I've picked up since joining (just last month).

The quilting tools are quite expensive. I typically buy my tools from Jo Ann Fabrics when they are on sale, or with a 40% off coupon. If you're not on their mailing list, get on it so you get regular coupons in the mail. I just recently purchased my first pre-cut fabrics and I've been quilting for over 20 years. So you can do without them by cutting your own strips and squares, at least to start.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions! Hope to see some finished items soon!
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

WElcome from Bedford Indiana! You will love coming to this forum...just a bunch of us bragging about what we all love to do...QUILT!! I too have done cross-stitching in the past, loved doing it but as I've aged I've gotten the dreaded presbyopia (what you say??) just means changes related to age. Should see me trying to thread a needle...I'm sure quite comical! I've been making quilts on and off for several years (think I was 17 the first time I made one and I am now a grandmother). Everyone is right about the gadgets...collect them as you can afford them or when on sale. AS long as you have scissors and a sewing machine you can get started easily. But the one thing I will never give up is my rotary cutter and mat...what a time saver that is! Have fun and don't forget to share pics with us.
              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Welcome from Vermont. You've come to the right place for beginners (like me). These ladies are so knowledgeable, helpful and inspiring. Enjoy! Oh, and we love pictures of all your projects!!!
                ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Hello from Australia, Holly. I found it pretty daunting starting out too. We pay much, much more here for our supplies - everything from pins through to our fabrics so we need to be pretty sure we mean to continue when we get started. But I haven't regretted spending a single cent. You have chosen a wonderful craft that will bring you much joy.

I also found my first forum experience just as daunting but you will be given so much help and encouragement here that you will soon be posting like a pro. Happy quilting.

Mary B.

Comment

Hi Holly,
                    Welcome! You will absolutely love quilting. It can be a little overwhelming at first especially when you start to buy supplies and build your stash. I just went to the fabric stores and looked for sales on the items that I needed like the rotary mat, rotary cutter, a good pair of scissors and a good beginners book on quilting, fabric and thread. I just purchased my supplies a little at a time until I got what I needed. You will do fine. And just wait until you finish your first quilt. The tutorials on this site are awesome! I am new to this site but I love it. When you get connected to other quilters you are going to enjoy it so much. You will get addicted quick! There are lots of quilters on this site to help you. Have fun Holly and ENJOY.

Brenda

Comment

Start with just a good rotary cutter and mat, quilting ruler, straight pins and scissors. That will get you started and you can see if you need anything else later. Most quilters who have been sewing for a while have duplicates. So see if anyone has extras that you can borrow. Have fun and don't worry about the notions.
                      Susan

Comment

Welcome, Holly! Yes, the tools can get quite expensive. When I started just a couple of years ago, I kept reminding myself that 'in the olden days' they didn't have all the fancy things that we do now, so slowly acquired a better selection. But did start off with just scissors and cardboard to make the templates. I label the scissors for use only on fabric, especially if one does other crafts! If you order online, sometimes Connecting Threads or Nancy's Notions have sales on their tools. (they also have catalogs to order through the mail) I still look at yard sales for things...have been very lucky in the past! Good luck with all of it. You have found a great forum and a wonderful bunch of quilters to support you as start out on a very fun journey!

Comment

Thanks to all of you for welcoming me so warmly! I've been keeping my eyes peeled for sales for a simple rotary cutter and mat to start with and to make templates from cardboard, great idea! All of you have been great and helpful! Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                          X