X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello there

Hi everyone.
    My name is Kathryn and I live in the UK,
    I have sewn most of my adult life. Easy stuff like curtains, bedding, table clothe etc, but was encouraged by my friend to try something new
    Anyway, 8 months on and 11 Christmas stockings, 7 cushions, yards of assorted bunting, table runners and 2 1/2 Quilts , here I am!
    I also attended a Free Motion Sewing class (I was rubbish )
    However I love this site and Jenny's tutorials so I thought it about time to join up with fellow enthusiasts.
    I do have a question though.
    I am wanting a new machine (sigh)
    Any suggestions? I keep being drawn to the Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4. However, I don't know why - but the machines on offer are endless! So help required by you ladies!
    Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to your replies

Re: Hello there

Good Morning Kathryn
    Welcome to the group. I have no advice on machines. I have a very inexpensive Brother and an older Babylock. Nothing fancy here. However, there are several discussions if you look around - about machines.
    Please come back and play!

Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut! Don't give up on the free motion quilting. It takes awhile to actually get the hang of it, but if you practice...practice....practice you will get it. As far as machines go, I have a Bernina. I would suggest trying out several machines before you make the final decision. The Phaff is a good machine.
      Susan

Comment

Sewing machines

hello,
        last week i bought a new sewing machine, after using my very reliable Janome for 30 years., I bought the Pfaff quilt expression 4; only because of the extra width in the arm.
        so far I have only been practising all the wonderful & exciting stitches and learning as I go along. Havnt got up to free arm quilting yet., (have to finish my next project first)
        anyway I will keep an update as i go along.
        I just love watching Jenny's tutorials., as because of my work hours I cannot get to any quilting classes where I live., here in Hervey Australia., so i am self teaching my self with the help of you tube. I have made 3 table runners., 3 cushions & just complete a quilt for my daughter... I am so addicted I love escaping into the world of quilting and leaving the rest of the world in another place. - Sharon
        Sharon - Hervey Bay Qld Australia

Comment

Welcome from Kentucky--you will love it here with all these wonderful people. Just keep practicing FMQ, I'm still a beginner, but I can definitely see an improvement with each quilt.
          Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Hello Kathryn, and welcome to the forum! This is the place to be to get inspired!

Like Blondie, I can't give you any great advice on sewing machines. I've always been a Singer gal and have a Singer Quilter Confidence machine that I just got last year. It's nothing fancy compared to other machines available, but what I wanted was a machine that would allow the feed dogs to drop down easily and had a few fancy stitches.

And, like Susan and Lisa, practice LOTS on your FMQ. I am still very new to it, but I have recently gotten brave enough to finish 2 separate quilts using FMQ. There is improvement each time. I'm hooked on it.
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome from Vermont. I just bought a Janome (2600???) and so far I love it. I'm a beginner quilter. We would love to see pictures of some of your projects. They sound interesting. Enjoy the forum.
              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Hello from Ky. You will love it here.MSQC is awesome and so are the people on this forum!!! Can't wait to see your pictures. We love sharing our projects here.
                Rhonda

Comment

HELLO AGAIN AND THANK YOU FOR REPLYING
                  How lovely, I feel like I have found a new family!
                  I would certainly love to post a piccy of two, for constructive advise, or just to give you all a laugh!
                  I am just popping over to visit my friend Kirsty (she is a great quilter), to have a cup of tea and discuss - sewing
                  Love Kathryn xxx

Comment

Kathryn ~ We would never laugh. Remember that we were ALL beginners at one point. Hang in there....practice makes almost perfect!
                    Susan

Comment

Kathryn, welcome from New Jersey, USA. Don't give up on FMQ, I used my first attempts as dog beds (and that's where my TOADs go, as well). Practicing is fun when you have none of the pressure of working on a "real" project. Enjoy the site and the wonderful ladies here - they are a real resource.

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter that I'm happy with so far, like Martha said it easily drops the feed dogs and has a few decorative stitches. I got it for $300 on sale.
                      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Thank you all very much for your responses
                        You are all very welcoming.
                        I have been researching and looking at machines all day and I am going to test drive a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 soon
                        Of course, I also came away with several fat quarters! Lol

Comment

Working...
                        X