Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teaching young ladies to quilt

Good evening!

I am new to MSQC - love many of the tutorials that I have watched. I am a self taught quilter and have made 20 quilts as gifts. I am currently working on 4 quilts - my favorite are for a girlfriend that is having twins - a boy and girl.

The reason for getting on here is that I will be teaching several young ladies to quilt. ages range from 12 - 17. I am so excited as I believe this will be something they will treasure for years to come. We are going to start with a simple 4 patch and hour glass. I am very excited and very glad to have come across this site.

Happy quilting everyone. Once I figure out this site I will post the pictures of the twins quilts.
    Charlene

Re: teaching young ladies to quilt

Welcome Charlene from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. We'll be looking forward to those pictures. Maybe also some pictures of older projects?? Thanks in advance for sharing.
    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut. Where are you located? I think it is great to teach these young ladies to quilt. Good luck.
      Susan

Comment

Welcome from New Hampshire! How cool that you're gonna teach young ladies the love of quilting! I can't think of a better thing to do. Enjoy the forum and post those pictures!
        When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome from Vermont. Looks like us New England girls are the first to get up! What a nice thing to teach the young ladies to quilt.
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M View Post
            Welcome from Connecticut. Where are you located? I think it is great to teach these young ladies to quilt. Good luck.
            I am just outside Denver Colorado. The girls are very excited especially our Emily. She is a freshman in hs and entered her first quilt in State competition and placed 1st and took it to Nationals in April and captured 3rd!!! We are so proud of her and it has stirred a great deal of interest with her friends so I am striking while the iron is hot -

Comment

I once thought I would like to start a sewing class for young people.I even contacted several big sewing machine companies about my idea but not one of them responded to me. So needless to say it never got off the ground. I think sewing/quilting has become a lost art and teaching young boys and girls how to do it is sew important.My daughter has several friends(preteens) and not one of them are the least bit interested in learning to sew.Breaks my heart to think it just isn't as important to youngsters as it once was. Thank you Charlene for keeping this beautiful form of art alive!!
              Rhonda from Ky.

Comment

What an awesome idea! I wish I had learned when I was a 'youngster'.....oh well, better late than never. Welcome to the Forum, Charlene. You will love it here.
                Cynthia from NH

Comment

Originally posted by camilner View Post
                  I am just outside Denver Colorado. The girls are very excited especially our Emily. She is a freshman in hs and entered her first quilt in State competition and placed 1st and took it to Nationals in April and captured 3rd!!! We are so proud of her and it has stirred a great deal of interest with her friends so I am striking while the iron is hot -
                  We lived outside Denver back in the late 80's. Boy does that ever make me feel old! Anyway, we lived in Arvada. Our first child was born there.
                  When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Hello from Australia, Charlene. What an exciting project. Many good wishes to you and those youngsters.

Mary B.

Comment

Well, the girls are here - selected their fabric and almost done cutting out their strips and squares. How fun! What a day we had at the fabric store - I am even getting in on the action - I will be making a disappearing nine patch with blacks, hot pink, yellow, and soft pink - that one will be for our 4 year old that is having a rough week - she feel out of bed on the hardwood floors and broke her nose. Surgery is pending and she is pitiful - this is a pick me up and cuddle quilt - she is very excited about it.

Emily's quilt is black, white, and aqua - she is working on a dot to dot pattern
                      Ms Ivy is doing soft pastel floral, pale blue, and coordinating stripe - she is working on tubular cuts.

they are so excited and we are just having a ball. They are so much fun. I hope to introduce this to our Homeschool group in the fall and get many more girls excited.

Thank you for the many encouraging comments. Each of you should mentor one and then another - you would be surprised how contagious it is - once these girls see it coming together it is funny how they start talking about the next one. Woo Hoo!!! I might get a few more projects done myself. :-)

Comment

Hi Charlene and welcome from Canada. How wonderful that you are teaching these young people how to quilt. They will take that experience with them wherever they go and will always remember you for it. Good job! The people on this forum are phenominal and I feel so lucky to call them friends. Enjoy your experience here as well.

Take care and happy quilting
                        Monique
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hi from Illinois! How wonderful that you are helping to pass on the noble art of quilting! Even if they leave it behind at some point they can always come back to it as I did. It sounds as tho their enthusiasm is contagious!! Have fun!!
                          Patti
                          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Working...
                          X