Hello! Never quilted before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! Never quilted before!

Hi all! I've never quilted before but I'm not new to sewing by any means, so I don't think quilting will be too difficult for me. I think the only thing I'll have trouble with is cutting hehehe. I just about to order some charm packs so I can get off to a good start at least till I get better at cutting. I have lots of people I can sew for, so I'm sure I'll never run out of projects! Looking forward to learning from you all!

Tegan

Re: Hello! Never quilted before!

Welcome Tegan from Canada. You will love it here. There are so many talented and wonderful people more than willing to help with your projects. Don't be afraid to ask.

Take care,
    Monique
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Welcome! I have a very good friend who always admired quilts, but never quilted. At one point she did seamstress work. You should see the fantastic quilts that she now makes! Practice your cutting on an old sheet or rag, just be careful of the fingers. The most important thing to remember in cutting is to measure with the ruler and not the cutting mat. Take care and welcome again.
      Susan

Comment

Welcome Tegan ~ I'm new also to both sewing and quilting so you've already got a headstart.

Susan ~ Just wondering being new..I've read that before "The most important thing to remember in cutting is to measure with the ruler and not the cutting mat." but was just wondering why that is? In my little pea brain and inch is an inch LOL I know there is a good reason, I just don't know it.

Comment

I measure with both; line up the fabric on the cutting mat and then measure with the ruler. You have 2 ways to make sure you measure correctly. They both agree and you are cutting to the exact measurement.

Comment

I also measure with both. If you are consistent with doing the same thing using the same mat and ruler, it shouldn't make any difference. Your quilt block might be smaller or larger, but all of them should be that way.

If I'm missing something here, someone, please let me know! I've been quilting for almost 21 years and have been doing it this way all this time. It's never too late to learn a better way though!
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Oops, forgot to say, Welcome Tegan! You're gonna love it here!
              When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
              X