Another Austin, TX Hello =^.^=

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Austin, TX Hello =^.^=

Last Saturday I was linked the rag baby quilt tutorial, and by the end of it had to rush to Joann's for charm packs and batting. I've made a grand total of one quilt ever (see my icon photo =^.^= )

After posting a "look what I made =D" on facebook it turns out that while all the women (and some of the men) I'm related to crochet, knit, and sew their own clothes... NONE of them quilt. My mother is convinced it's just pregnancy brain derailing off into weirdness. The most helpful advice I got was from my Great Aunt Sarah which was "Don't".

So here I am! =D

I'm pretty well hooked, though I know very very little (aside from youtube tutorials and reading through the forums here so far).. and today I'm cutting all the tshirt sleeves (I upcycle tshirts which aren't useful as tshirts anymore into new clothes) I've got into 5in squares to see what happens when they're quilted.

Anyway, Hi! I'm happy to have found you!

Re: Another Austin, TX Hello =^.^=

Welcome from central Missouri. I have learned more from Jenny's tutorials that I have from the classes I have taken.

Comment

Welcome from Ireland.
      What I make with my hands I give with my heart.

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the forum from south central Missouri. I'm glad you joined us. Visit often so we can get to know you.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you all for the kind welcomes! =^.^=
            I trimmed down a pile of tshirt sleeves into 5in squares today.
            An 8block x 7block baby rag quilt all basted and set out to make sure I've not got too many of the same color together.
            WP_20140414_026.jpg
            I know knit isn't a typical quilt material because it relaxes and squirrels around, but the soft cotton wanted to be test run so badly I couldn't not try. Especially on a small baby blanket.

Comment

Welcome from Alabama!

Comment

Howdy from San Antonio! Not to far from Austin and I go up there a lot to visit. Great place.

I love your quilt so far, it's great that you are making it out of t-shirts.

I take it you are pregnant? Is this your first baby?

Comment

Thank you!
                  I am (though baby blankets are fun to make any time (serging up a stack of receiving blankets takes almost no time once they're cut and everything is SO SOFT)), and no. This makes #2, but with a 12yr spacing, Surprise!

Comment

hi and welcome from Massachusetts. jenny has a tutorial on t shirt quilts that you may find helpful.
                    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Welcome from North Carolina.
                      ~ Tracy

Comment

I used a few of the same steps for this one. Though I'm using much smaller blocks since it's the material that had been sleeves, not the printing off the fronts. But that is something I will likely end up doing a few of once I have the right pool of art shirts that don't need to be sundresses/pajama pants =^.^=

The tutorials section is so amazingly helpful, it's still blowing my mind a little.

Comment

Welcome from rural Giddings, TX about 55 miles from Austin.
                          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Growing up in Alpine TX it's hard for me to think of Giddings as being rural, it's only an hour from town! =^.^=
                            I do drive to Giddings at least once a year for tilapia fingerlings though the water in the tank hasn't warmed up enough for them yet this year.

Comment

Working...
                            X