Hello from Central Texas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Central Texas!

I work in Austin, live just outside, and have gotten more into quilting in about the last year or two. My mom (and grandmother and great-aunts and sister) are/were also quilters, so I guess it was inevitable. They're very traditional, whereas I love to see (not make) modern quilts and art quilts, and while I'm new enough to stick to basics on patterns I love using contemporary, bright fabrics. I'm also lazy enough to really love precuts, which is why I love this site and the tutorials.

I've only actually finished one "real" quilt, all the way through the quilting and binding, have pieced a top that my mom quilted for me, and have made lots of flannel baby rag quilts (which don't count as real quilts in my mind!). I really love piecing tops, and then kind of peter out when it comes to finishing it all off.

Looking forward to "meeting" y'all!

Re: Hello from Central Texas!

Hi Annie........welcome to the forum!

Have you heard of QuiltCon.....a modern quilt show in Austin! They had a show in Feb 2013 and the next one will be Feb 2015. I came across the info last year. The quilts are gorgeous! Here is a link to a slide show that I found online.......thought you might like it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/luanar...7632836689184/

https://www.quiltcon.com/

Hope you enjoy your time here on the forum!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
      Hi Annie........welcome to the forum!

Have you heard of QuiltCon.....a modern quilt show in Austin! They had a show in Feb 2013 and the next one will be Feb 2015. I came across the info last year. The quilts are gorgeous! Here is a link to a slide show that I found online.......thought you might like it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/luanar...7632836689184/

https://www.quiltcon.com/

Hope you enjoy your time here on the forum!
      Yes, thanks! I could have kicked myself - I was really just starting to look around online at quilting stuff when I realized QuiltCon had happened here, I think the previous weekend! I'm excited it's going to be here again next year and am already signed up for their emails; I'm also lucky to be within easy traveling distance of the International show in Houston, and was able to make that in 2013.

I hadn't seen that slide show before though - oh my goodness, just beautiful stuff. Thanks again.

Comment

I went to the Houston International show in 2012 and loved it! I have some pictures in my albums of some of the quilts at that show. Would love to go to QuiltCon....we were in Austin last spring and stayed right down the road from where the show was held.......of course it was several months too late.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Welcome to the forums from central Missouri. I'm more into the traditional patterns but can certainly admire the more modern patters. I have met very few quilt tops I didn't like. LOL

Comment

Welcome from Ireland.
            What I make with my hands I give with my heart.

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Hi, Annie, and welcome to the forum from Missouri. Maybe you should find a long-arm quilter to turn your quilt tops into beautiful quilts.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from Alabama!

Comment

Howdy neighbor! I'm in San Antonio and love visiting Austin. I went to QuiltCon the last time and loved all the quilts and vendors. I learned a lot and got lots of inspiration from the quilts there.

Have you been to any LQS in Austin? I love Valli & Kim's in the Dripping Spring area. But I've been to them all. The Bluebonnet Shop Hop was just this past week, did you hop to any stores? I didn't this time, too much going on at home.

Comment

Hi and welcome from North Carolina
                      ~ Tracy

Comment

Working...
                      X