Hello from the Ozarks of Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the Ozarks of Missouri

Good morning. I am new to quilting, love love love it!! I have an emergency question!! I have been given the opportunity to purchase an older singer short arm machine with a 12 " foot frame. It's in good shape. It comes with an extra head. $1000.00. First, It's huge and I only have a detached garage to keep it. Second, I just got into quilting I haven't ever quilted a quilt. I have to let the lady know in a few hours if I want the set up or not. I need some insight from you. Help! I couldn't sleep last night. Lol

Re: Hello from the Ozarks of Missouri

It may be a huge learning curve to get it going successfully. I'm not sure about the machines, and you say there are two heads? How long is the arm of the machine? And does it have stitch regulation or no? It is harder to learn without stitch regulation, but most good quilters don't use it. If you have the room, the money and the time to spend learning, it might end up being a very sweet deal. There will most probably be frustration in the road ahead learning how to use it successfully, go into it with that in mind. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Once you get the frame set up, you can use any machine on it. You could upgrade in the future to a longer arm machine. With a short arm machine, you can only quilt about 2-4" of the quilt at a time. This is frustrating to do much pattern work in quilting.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 29, 2014, 05:56 AM.

Comment

This is a decision only you can make. If I was in your position I would decline to buy the machine. There will be other good deals along the way and later you will be able to assess and compare various machines and their features. Who knows, you may become a hand quilter or find a great LAQer who can do a beautiful job quilting for you. Just my two cents...good luck. Let us know what you decide.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Just saying WELCOME . . . oh, and being new to quilting I think I'd turn and walk away from this deal . . . JS
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Welcome from central Missouri! As a newbie, I can't imagine getting into the machine quilting at this point or knowing enough to buy a set up. Someday maybe.

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Ozarkian--can't give much advice about the machine--I'd love to have one someday, but I'm not ready quite yet.
            Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for your input. I didn't buy the machine. :-(. But there will be other opportunities.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. Here is the what I have and I bought the stitch regulator to go with mine. With this frame I can upgrade to an 18" machine when I'm ready.

Grace Gracie King Queen Crib Wood Quilt Frame +Brother PQ1500S Machine at AllBrands.com
                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with everything.
                  When I started quilting, I used only remnants and worked on a basic $100 machine.
                  Preeti
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Hi and welcome from mid-missouri...I think you made a wise choice on passing on the machine....
                        :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                        X