How much fabric to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much fabric to use

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I love it. I would love to attempt and make a queen size quilt. Is this too big of a project to do for a beginner? I also don't know how much fabric I would need. I love the charm packs and jelly rolls. And advice or suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: How much fabric to use

Yes, it is too big a project for a beginner. Please start with a baby quilt that is not wider than the width of the fabric. That way you do not need to piece the backing. And please also read this
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/new...l-newbies.html
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Preeti - For some reason your very matter of fact - "Yes, it is too big a project for a beginner" - just cracked me up! LOL. I think it was the lack of exclamations points and smileys - it just read completely serious like, "Don't do it. Really. You'll cry".

Anyway - Perezgal - that link has really good advice! A queen size is a bit ambitious (and possibly very discouraging!) for a newbie. Here is my newbie horror story - in case you're interested:

I won some quilting lessons in a church raffle and was very excited because I'd seen the teacher's quilts (lovely!) and always wanted to try making one.

Well she started us on a queen size quilt with a very difficult pattern that included TINY squares and four patches that we had to cut ourselves! This was a while ago and if there was such a thing as "pre-cuts" then - we didn't know anything about them.

Needless to say - even though the 4 of us (there were 4 "winners") were all very gungho to start, and we formed a cute little quilt group, and she was nice enough to meet with us once a month - none of us got our quilts done. It was complicated and confusing and we found that we never felt secure enough to work alone on our quilts in between our monthly meetings. I eventually packed mine up, the group disbanded, I moved out of state - and YEARS later I saw Jenny on youtube. LOL. She got me to quilt again - with precuts.

Now you may be one of those people that is highly motivated and would just keep plugging along no matter what - but starting off so complicated and big for me - stopped me from quilting for years. I still haven't finished that thing! Although several of the ladies here were kind enough to help me figure out how the rows I did sew were suppose to go together. I'm still a little traumatized by it, though.

So I would say - since you mentioned liking the charm packs - start there. The good news is if you take to it like a fish in water - you'll be done and moving on so fast you'll be making a queen size in no time!

PS here is the quilt that I still have not completed and sometimes...gives me nightmares!

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...n-together.jpg
      Last edited by VickiJ; March 18, 2014, 03:20 PM.
      Vicki
      Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Thank you Vicki :-)
        Next time, I will try to lighten things up with smileys :-p
        Hugs.
        Preeti

Comment

Thank you Preeti and VickyJ I will start off with a smaller quilt. I guess the hardest part right now is trying to decide what fabric to use. So much beautiful fabric out there.......... Preeti, good advice for us newbies........ VickyJ I saw the quilt you were talking about and OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! it made me dizzy! I will definitely start off small and less complicated. Thank you all.
          Last edited by perezgal; March 18, 2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perezgal View Post
            Thank you Preeti and VickyJ I will start off with a smaller quilt. I guess the hardest part right now is trying to decide what fabric to use. So much beautiful fabric out there.......... Preeti, good advice for us newbies........ VickyJ I saw the quilt you were talking about and OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! it made me dizzy! I will definitely start off small and less complicated. Thank you all.
            Since you like charm packs, watch for a Daily Deal that catches your eye. Order it along with matching fabric for borders and possibly backing and away you go.

Comment

I like what Preeti said too! I just loved making a table runner for my first completed project. It was so nice to be able to go through the whole process and complete it in an average amount of time without intimidation. I used a charm pack too. My second project was with a panel. You could consider that for a baby quilt. You can always donate it if you like My biggest project was a twin size last summer and enjoyed it likely cause I waited long enough to feel confident enough to do something that size.
              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome From California. This is the place for good advice, as you can already tell. LOL
                Have fun

Vicki,,,OMG was that teacher a closet sadist??? Or was she new to teaching?? That's like having a kindergartener do calculus...
                But I have to say I do like the quilt, if you ever get over your trauma it will be lovely when it's quilted...
                Good luck
                Last edited by Quiltfreestyle; March 18, 2014, 05:33 PM.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                  Vicki,,,OMG was that teacher a closet sadist??? Or was she new to teaching?? That's like having a kindergartener do calculus...But I have to say I do like the quilt, if you ever get over your trauma it will be lovely when it's quilted...
                  Good luck
                  Hahaha and thank you!! You know - she is actually very sweet, but probably not the best teacher. She also got me interested in learning to play golf and there were a few times when it was all I could do to not intentionally swing my club a little too close to her knee cap if you know what I mean, lol - but we got over it and now I really love to play golf. I still suck at it, but I enjoy it.
                  Vicki
                  Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

All of these posts are making me giggle! Shows did doesn't take much humor to get me in a good mood! That's why i love this forum! Anywho....beginners should star with small, novice patterns to get confidence when they start piecing/quilting. and as the confidence grows and you build your fabric stash, your mind will daydream of all the beautiful/challenging projects you want to conquer! Good luck!
                    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I started out just sewing charm packs together in squares. I finally took a beginners quilting class where we made a Disappearing 9 Patch. It was a lap quilt size. I liked it so much I bought three more charm packs and made three more lap quilts size panels and then put a sashing between them and have a queen sized top. It is a treasure to me, as it is one of my first projects and it grew into a queen sized top that I will use on my bed once I have it quilted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jess1377 View Post
                        I like what Preeti said too! I just loved making a table runner for my first completed project. It was so nice to be able to go through the whole process and complete it in an average amount of time without intimidation. I used a charm pack too. My second project was with a panel. You could consider that for a baby quilt. You can always donate it if you like My biggest project was a twin size last summer and enjoyed it likely cause I waited long enough to feel confident enough to do something that size.
                        Panels are a great way to start a baby quilt. I recommend fabric.com; they have a lot of cute panels. If you are looking for ideas, check this one out
                        Sew Preeti Quilts: Bear Hugs (2014-1)

We look forward to your creations :-)
                        Hugs.
                        Preeti

Comment

My first quilty thing was a small panel and then a cushion. I wasn't a quilter then, just a sewer. NO no no Not a drain or a server of meals! Somebody who sews.

Now just you stop laughing right now.

My first quilt was a jelly roll race using a batik jelly roll my eldest son bought me. I added borders - just to make it huge and difficult to quilt on my everyday machine. I quilted it and it was, and is, a great success. OK so the quilting wasn't very perfect but the result was a usable quilt that I'm proud of and is always on my bed. I smooth it out and admire it and closely examine my stitches and the patterns in the batik. During the day my cat, Blossom, snuggles under it (naughty Bloss, off the bed).

I'd say go for a big quilt asap.

edit; welcome to M* from England

Comment

Originally posted by perezgal View Post
                            Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I love it. I would love to attempt and make a queen size quilt. Is this too big of a project to do for a beginner? I also don't know how much fabric I would need. I love the charm packs and jelly rolls. And advice or suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
                            Being the disagreeable sort that I am, and beginning quilter, I have to disagree with the advice of "don't get too ambitious", no quilt is too ambitious if you have the time and patience. Being ambitious on my first quilt, it was big stars lap quilt, made some mistakes but my ambition was a learning curve. My second was a lap size fence rail with diamonds, my 3rd a snowball and by my 8th quilt I made a queen disappearing 9 patch, now that was ambitious but the top came out beautifully just have to put a border on and have quilted. I have made 16 since December 2013.

I agree with Bob, make a lap size and if you think you can handle it make another lap and add it to the first etc until you get it the size you want. Laps are so much easier to work with than queens. No point in making a baby quilt if you don't need a baby quilt.

My queen size disappearing 9 patch took 10 charms plus border fabric and backing and that's without making it large enough to cover the pillows, I hate quilts that cover the pillows I would rather see coordinating shams.

Good luck in whatever you decide and show us what you've done.
                            Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Working...
                            X