Glad to be here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to be here

While I've been shopping at Missouri Star for a while, I finally decided to join the forum. When my hubby and I retired from teaching, we left Fla and moved to the beautiful mountains of North Carolina. When people ask for directions to my house I say, "Head towards Heaven and just before you reach the Pearly Gates, turn right and there we are!" After I retired I needed to "find" some new hobbies to keep me busy. I volunteer at the local library (now repairing books!), read a lot, have learned to grow flowers (something I could never do before), and decided to learn to quilt. I had several friends who lived close who were experienced quilters, so I geared up, got some supplies.... and (for various reasons) all my quilting friends either moved to town (17 miles away) or moved out of state!

So I did what I had taught my students to do in my last years of teaching- I went on the internet and started finding resources to help me learn how to quilt. I've signed up for a few classes (some free, some for a fee). But my favorite "teaching tool" has been all of Jenny Doan's tutorials! They are wonderful, easy to understand, and I've been able to solve my needs for gifts to give to family and friends. And, yes, I am now a quilt addict. Fortunately, my husband supports my addiction and loves to drive all over these mountains to take me to quilt shops. Unlike many hubbies I've heard about, mine LOVES to look at fabrics and go to quilt shows! I've been embarrassed by him a few times because he's very outspoken and often gives his opinions to me, sales clerks or other ladies as to what fabrics go together. They always look at him like he's crazy, but most circle around the store, come back and whisper to me, "Ya know- he's right!

I look forward to getting to know you and getting some help in my journey to become a quilter.

Re: Glad to be here

Hi there, welcome from Utah. You sound like my kind of quilter, mostly self taught, and hooked by Jenny Doan! I am glad you found the forum and hope you will make a habit of dropping in to visit here.
    sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Hi Elseebee! Welcome from Delaware. That still sounds a little strange to me - being born & raised a Jersey girl. Only been in Delaware 3 years but if I had a choice I'd really like to look around North Carolina. Unfortunately I've only been twice for business not pleasure so no exploring beautiful mountains for me.

Sorry all your quilting buddies moved away just as you started to get going. I was the one to move away from a little quilting crew we had going just before my job relocated and then I didn't sew again for a couple of years until I found Jenny's tutorial and these forums as well!

Jenny is a great teacher and the ladies (and gents!) here on the forum are always encouraging and helpful. Stick around and I'm sure you'll get all sorts of projects completed!
      Vicki
      Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Welcome from Southern California
        You're lucky your husband is so supportive, I'm lucky too. My husband loves to go the quilt shows & shops.
        He's opinionated too,,, maybe all quilt husbands are like that??? LOL
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome from Mid-Missouri. What highway is it I take to get to the Pearly Gates in North Carolina? LOL What a great way to describe where you live.

Comment

Welcome! I'm a Florida native and always dreamed of retiring to NC - even have some property there that I had hoped to someday build a cabin on. That dream is gone, but maybe someday one of my kids will do just that. What part of Florida are you from?

p.s. You are a lucky lady to have such a great hubby!
              Donna

Comment

Working...
              X