To all newbies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all newbies...

Here is a note to all newbies from another newbie.

1. Start with simple patterns, that require no need for seams to match.
    2. Go easy on yourself - the award-wining and show-stopping quilts you see are made by quilters who were once newbies like you.
    3. It takes years of practice (and blood, sweat and tears) to make a near-perfect quilt.
    4. It does not have to be perfect. If you try to make a perfect quilt, you will never finish it.
    5. Enjoy the process. Celebrate every little step.
    6. And share with the forum - we are rooting for you :-)

Hugs & Welcome to you all.
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Re: To all newbies...

Good advice! Remember to keep it fun, I realize we all have times that are stressful. The machine isn't acting right or the fabric isn't exact.

Comment

So true, Bob.
      Oh the fabric has a mind of its own...
      Preeti

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
        Here is a note to all newbies from another newbie.

1. Start with simple patterns, that require no need for seams to match.
        2. Go easy on yourself - the award-wining and show-stopping quilts you see are made by quilters who were once newbies like you.
        3. It takes years of practice (and blood, sweat and tears) to make a near-perfect quilt.
        4. It does not have to be perfect. If you try to make a perfect quilt, you will never finish it.
        5. Enjoy the process. Celebrate every little step.
        6. And share with the forum - we are rooting for you :-)

Hugs & Welcome to you all.
        Excellent advice, & not only for newbies. Quilting is supposed to be fun.. In spite of the occasional frustrations..
        Thanks Preeti.
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Excellent advice!! I have always said sewing/quilting should be fun. It is what I teach my students . If it isn't fun then maybe it isn't the hobby for you. Oh of course we all have those frustrating times. Get up take a walk have a drink , watch some TV , play with a pet or chat with a family member. when you go back 9 times out of 10 everything falls into place. You will advance at your own speed and when the light bulb goes on for something you were trying what a great feeling knowing you finally got it. And yes celebrate small accomplishments. I tell my students who want to get better after they are comfortable with the machine . to start with cutting and try and be as accurate as possible. It all starts here, from there work on your perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance, then pressing, not so hard to make wonky fabric gently with seams all going same direction. Once they get it down pat they see a vast improvement...but start small and easy.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
            Excellent advice!! I have always said sewing/quilting should be fun. It is what I teach my students . If it isn't fun then maybe it isn't the hobby for you. Oh of course we all have those frustrating times. Get up take a walk have a drink , watch some TV , play with a pet or chat with a family member. when you go back 9 times out of 10 everything falls into place. You will advance at your own speed and when the light bulb goes on for something you were trying what a great feeling knowing you finally got it. And yes celebrate small accomplishments. I tell my students who want to get better after they are comfortable with the machine . to start with cutting and try and be as accurate as possible. It all starts here, from there work on your perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance, then pressing, not so hard to make wonky fabric gently with seams all going same direction. Once they get it down pat they see a vast improvement...but start small and easy.
            YOU TEACH??? Where do I sign up? Seriously, I could use a mentor.
            Preeti

Comment

And don't make your first quilt a Cal King that you are going to quilt on your teeny tiny little entry level machine! You will be singing the blues before that quilt is finished!

Comment

Love all of the list!
                Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  And don't make your first quilt a Cal King that you are going to quilt on your teeny tiny little entry level machine! You will be singing the blues before that quilt is finished!
                  So true! Even a queen. I like making baby/ toddler/ lap. I don't think I will ever go beyond that. When my girls decide to get married I might think about it. lol
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Here's a FORUM thread from a way back.
                    It may have my 'shining moment' on the forum!
                    Not MY 'Top Ten', necessarily, but the advice that follows....

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gen...-starting.html
                    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

You will be making larger projects before you know it..

Comment

Working...
                      X