Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from down under!

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the sticky but wasn't sure if that was where I was supposed to post or not... So posting again here too!

I'm Jill, and I'm from Canberra in Australia. I've been married to my DH for 12 years and we have a gorgeous little boy, Matthew, who is 4 and a half (he says that the half is very important!)

I actually tried to self-teach myself a very complicated log cabin quilt when I was 14 in high school home economics. I hated it - I don't think i really knew what I was trying to do, and no real sense of colour and volume etc in fabrics. I swore I would never touch quilting ever again!!

As the years went by, I did some dressmaking and then actually moved away from sewing altogether for many years and took up scrapbooking. When Matthew was born, I had hardly any time to do anything much crafty at all (I work full time) so even scrapbooking was a slow process!

Fast forward to last year when a girlfriend of mine (who also scrapbooks) and I had started holding fortnightly craft nights on a Friday evening at one of our houses. One craft night, she brought along Camille Roskelley's first book, Simplify, and something called a Jelly Roll! I was intrigued and then observed how she then out together a beautiful - and easy - quilt for her little boy. That was it - quilting renaissance had begun!

Now I am an addicted quilter, and I especially love using precuts as time is still fairly scarce. I am just about to start learning FMQ, which has terrified me up to now. I came across this forum like so many others - via one of Jenny's fabulous tutorials. Love it! I just love quilting as it is therapy from my fairly high stress job, and a bit of "me time" from being a wife and mum too.

Thank you for having me be part of your forum!!

Re: Hello from down under!

Hi Jill and welcome to the forum from New Jersey.
    Barbara :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome from Orlando. This is the place to be. Bring your questions and suggestion here. Enjoy!
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Hi Jill welcome from Massachusetts
          :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Thank you!! It is really good to be here.

Comment

Welcome from Glasgow Scotland.
              sigpic Christine.

Comment

Hi Jill.......welcome to the forum. Aren't you glad you gave quilting another chance! You will find lots of inspiration here.
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Hi Jill I have been lurking all day. Haven't introduced myself yet but wanted to say hello. I'm from new jersey but have family down under. In sydney and also Hawks Nest. One of my nieces married a wonder boy from I think out near Brisbane ?. Family are big sheep farmers. My sister in law is head mistress at an all girls school. But I am rambling sorry. My favorite show at the moment is "mclouds daughters". LOVE IT .... Best of luck with your son I have 5!!!
                  Peggy
                  Beachmomt5

Comment

Hello and welcome ,looking forward to seeing some of your work happy quilting
                    love and hugs Edwina .x

Comment

Hi and welcome, from over on the coast.

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Peggy, great to hear you have family here. I was actually born and raised in Brisbane so know it well. Yes, sheep farming is a big industry here in the country. Good luck with your boys too - don't know how you manage 5 - you must be amazing!!

Comment

Welcome to both of you from Florida. I am also a scrapbooker.
                            Donna

Comment

Hi Jill - welcome to the forum. We are almost neighbours - I live the other side of the Brindabellas near Tumut. Our 2 grownup children and 3 grand children live in ACT. One family in Kaleen and the other in Bruce. We go to see them as often as we can. Have fun with your quilting - everyone here is very happy to help if you have a problem. Cheers Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X