A big Decision for me to learn to Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big Decision for me to learn to Quilt

I watched the News program regarding Missouri Star Quilt Company last night on the news. I have always been a garment sewer, however, I no longer need an extensive wardrobe and making things for myself to hang in the closet seems pointless at this junction in my life.

I have always avoided learning to quilt because 1) I do not like handwork; 2) I prefer to finish projects not spend the rest of eternity working on one; 3) I've heard so many confusing comments about how to quilt that I found it all confusing. The program last night showed me that you can make quilts without feeling guilty about not being a purist. I am not a purist, I love to sew and I love to learn. I want to make quilts that people will use, not pack away as some item to be revered. Quilts to me should be useful, attractive and colorful. I want to have fun and learn and share what I learn. I'm excited to join this forum and hope to learn from the experience.

Re: A big Decision for me to learn to Quilt

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find many friends here. I believe we all share your attitude. We, however, are addicted to quilting. You may soon be, too!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There are so many knowledgeable people on here if you need help. Just have fun with it!
      :icon_wave: Linda
      "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Welcome to the forum These wonderful ladies and gentlemen have a wonder wealth of knowledge to share. I have sewn since I was a little girl, the two biggest general sewing differences I have found between garment making and quilts is the seam difference - quilting only uses a 1/4" vs the 5/8" and backstitching - because a seam will be covered with another seam, quilting almost never requires backstitching. I can't tell you how many times I would backstitch on piecing a quilt just out of the sheer habit of backstitching - I finally did manage to break that habit. Have fun learning a new addictive hobby

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Washingtonian!!! I am in Tacoma...where are you?
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! We're so glad you found us!

Comment

Welcome to the forums Nancy. Enjoy and learn, it is a lot of fun.

Comment

Welcome from Florida!
                Donna

Comment

Welcome from MO! I started as a garment seamstress and when I aged and gained weight and grew lumpy.....well, fitting was more of an issue. Quilts fit every body and every shape! I love piecing and find such joy creating again! Nothing is better than the hum of a sewing machine........in my opinion!

Comment

Welcome! from what I've learned of the denizens of this site, you'll fit right in.
                    Dorothy in Denver
                    Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.
                    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                    -Leonard Cohen

Comment

Welcome from another Washington member! Lots of great advise on this site. I hope you have fun here.
                      April

Comment

Welcome! I'm a newbie to quilting too (have sewn many garments though) - love how Jenny's tutes make all of us feel like we are capable of producing a beautiful quilt to be loved by someone

Comment

Welcome from Louisiana.
                          Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Be sure to check out Jenny's tutorials, either here on the MSQC site or on YouTube. They're great!
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Well to the forum from S.E. Louisiana.

Comment

Working...
                              X