Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So new to this I haven't even started!

Hi Everyone,

I am from the Midwest. As for my age, well, let's just say I get senior discounts... I love to cook, knit, crochet, take photographs, paint in watercolors, volunteer, travel, and read "how-to"books.

After serving 24 years in the United States Air Force I retired as a disabled veteran. I had the opportunity to spend time with my 2-year-old son and my dear husband, Tom. My daughter was already 23 and on her own. (She now has her own family). I was suddenly widowed a few years after I retired. Then, after many years of "widowhood", I came in contact with a man I've known since I was 4 years old (our parents were best friends) and ended up marrying him.

For a long time I have made and given away many knitted and crocheted prayer shawls. It was nice to know one of my shawls would make its way to someone who needed comforting. Seldom did I know the recipient, and I prefer to remain anonymous. Unfortunately, I'm a little "burned out" on that for now.

In my quest for a new adventure I discovered the Missouri Star Quilt You Tube videos. . Now I want to make quilted prayer shawls! I'm such a novice at this, though, I'm almost afraid to start. For example, I've been trying to decide if I should prewash the material or not. Can you believe I'm letting that delay my starting a project?

I look forward to getting to know everyone and appreciate any suggestions and guidance.

Linda

Re: So new to this I haven't even started!

Welcome! I don't wash fabrics first that I buy here or at good quilt shops.
    Have a Sewonderful Day,
    Mary T.

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Rhode Island! Any question you have I am sure has been asked. You can run a search for it or ask away.

I promise there is someone (me) who needs to know the answer. I joined last month and never quilted before. We all start somewhere.
        Hugs,
        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Welcome from NJ.
          Barbara :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome from Orlando

This is the best place to get started. I say just jump in and get started. I do not prewash my fabrics. I love the crinkly look after its completed and washed.

Check out Crafsty.com for some classes to obtain beginning skills. And Jenny has a couple great classes as well on there

You will do great!
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Welcome from Bedford Indiana...home of crazy weather...with snow on the ground, we had tornado watches and warnings this evening! Enough already!
              Anyway, I've been making quilts for many, many, many years...I never wash my fabric beforehand and neither did my mother when she made her quilts.
              There is tons of information on here and so many kind hearted souls that love to share.
              Be sure to come back often and be sure to share your projects with us.
              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Welcome! You're going to love quilting!

I gave up pre-washing my fabrics a long time ago.... It really isn't necessary with today's fabrics.....especially if you buy quality fabrics.., if in doubt...say with a red.....wash with a color catcher or two.... I might test a corner of a red fabric.

We are all here to help you in any way we can..... Questions are encouraged..

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

hi welcome from Massachusetts.
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Welcome from Arizona
                    bjsmith57

Comment

Hi Linda, welcome from Missouri! I am glad that you found us. I am so excited about you quilting a prayer shawl, I hope that you will share pictures with us. I have never heard of one, but I am going to google it as soon as I am done here. I was stationed at Whiteman from '86-'90. I enjoyed it, but not enough to stay in. Thank you for your service to our country.
                      May your day be blessed. :icon_wave:

Shea Michelle

Comment

Welcome

Comment

When I read your thread title, I thought maybe I had been on the forum in my sleep! Welcome from another "so new not even started yet" quilter. (I'll do an intro in a bit. I've been negligent in that regard.)

Dorothy in Denver
                          Dorothy in Denver
                          Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.
                          There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                          -Leonard Cohen

Comment

Welcome from North Carolina.
                            ~ Tracy

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! I ran across a web site recently you might be interested in. It's called the Prayers & Squares group. The web site is Prayers & Squares, The Prayer Quilt Ministry Happy Quilting! JCY

Comment

Working...
                              X