Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I LOVE fabric, thread, rulers and the sound of my machine!! I'm hooked!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOVE fabric, thread, rulers and the sound of my machine!! I'm hooked!!

Hello, I recently moved to Ohio because my partner was promoted. It seemed like the right thing to give up my position as a music teacher in Maryland because I made less than her and could resume teaching in Ohio. Right? Not so right absolutely no jobs and in addition I didn't set up a teaching studio because this is a temporary move. But what to do to feed my creative spirit. I always wanted to sew and had a viking Emerald 118 which I crafted my first charm pack quilt on... with absolutely no lessons or experience. You can imagine what it looked like. I thought to myself, "self, you are not fit to own a machine." However I could not stop purchasing beautiful fabric whenever I saw it. I began to be very critical of the quality of the fabric as well. How uppity is that? Finally, when I had cleaned and organized, worked on music lesson plans, practiced my own instrument(s) I felt something was missing from my life. It was... the fruits of my labor. I wanted results... so I thought, why not take a sewing class. Just a one night deal and see what happens.

What happened was a quilting, sewing, fabric, explosion! I graduated up to an Opal 670 (which I think I might outgrow by next year). Loving vintage style I set out with my partner to find everything vintage to organize and decorate my sewing space. I started out in our tiny dining room but eventually I was moved to a large room in the basement because I found too many goodies for my sewing addiction to be housed in our dining room and meals on the living room sofa were getting old. LOL. I am using my large farm dining table as my sewing table, for machine and also laying out fabrics for piecing. I found a beautiful, mid century drafting table, just the right height and size for rotary cutting fabrics and also laying out pieces if needed, old metal cabinets and baskets from the 40's serve as storage and many other vintage items. All of this serves to continue to inspire me and feed my creative soul.

The other thing is a dirty little secret. Since I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn for teaching at the moment, I often either wait up or wake up at 10 a.m. without an alarm to check the Quilters Deal of the Day on MSQC's web site. I think I caught the quilting bug and I'm glad there isn't a cure. So far I have made two quilts, two more quilt tops, one out of vintage hankies, table runners, toppers, a quilted handbag and several small decorative items as well. I'm thinking about joining or at least attending our local quilting guild meetings to connect with others who have the bug and be inspired.

Quilting for me is not just a pass time; it really does feed the soul in a very meaningful and fulfilling way.

Hello new friends!

Nancy

Re: I LOVE fabric, thread, rulers and the sound of my machine!! I'm hooked!!

Welcome Nancy. You know you are hooked when you like the sound of a sewing machine. And of course, when the feel of fabric sends you into sensory overload.
    Hope you can visit with us often.
    Blessings to you in abundance
    Blondie, waving from North Carolina
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Welcome Nancy from Louisiana. Come on in and join the rest of the quilting, sewing, machine, and fabricaholics.
      Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Hi Nancy and welcome to the forum from Missouri. Be sure to watch the tutorials here and visit the forum often so we can get to know you. Barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome Nancy

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Nancy... I loved reading your story..... And I'm happy that you are here.....

My dogs often wake me up very early in the morning, to go out.... I always have my trusty iPad by my side, so be goer doing anything else, I have to check out the DD...... I think a lot if us do that...new can't help it.... We don't want go miss the one DD that we must have.... It's fun... Don't forget to check out the new Magazine, Block, to be published by M*.... No ads, just great quilting stuff....

Oh yes... Welcome from Cincinnati.... What part of Ohio are you living in?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Welcome Nancy, from Wisconsin! Your post made me laugh out loud. And I totally understand the addiction! I have been caught checking my iPad in the middle of the night to check on the daily deal, and I am so happy when I can get the mail before hubby gets home so he doesn't see all the packages from Missouri quilt co!
                Happy sewing!
                Last edited by coppy777; February 19, 2014, 04:35 PM.
                ~ Connie ~

Comment

Yup! You've got it bad!! Isn't it wonderful ??
                  Welcome to the Forum from California. Look around & have fun..
                  May the road rise up to meet you...
                  May the wind be always at your back...
                  May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                  Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Welcome aboard Nancy!
                    And I couldn't agree more about the sound of the sewing machine! I love that sound - it soothes my soul. And on that same note, by daughter (who is now 18 but was 2 years old when I started quilting) just told me the other day that the sound of my sewing machine is one of her favorite comfort sounds. I guess she has heard it quite a bit over the years!
                    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Welcome from Arizona
                      bjsmith57

Comment

Nancy,

Welcome to the forums. I'm just a newbie here, but I understand what you are saying. I can lose myself when I start piecing.

Comment

Hi Nancy and welcome from Kentucky. You are now officially a quiltaholic!
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Welcome, Nancy, from Texas! I think you have the quilting bug, for sure! We all do here.
                            Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Nancy,, promise me one thing... don't ever get hung up on perfection... you sound as if this is truly an outlet for your creativity and I'm guessing you smile with every stitch and can't wait to get to that next project!!!! Take it from a senior who has been sewing, knitting, crocheting and now quilting since High School, thru a Wedding, Children and now Retirement.. (with, I'm proud to say the same guy since we were 16,,.... It is my life-blood and savior thru many good and bad times.. is my work "ribbon worthy".. of course not, but it has helped me "gift give" when things were tuff and now I'm plowing my way thru as fast as I can all the shelves of fabric I've acquired... M* is the best way to find inspiration and support... enjoy.. we'll be looking forward to seeing all your wonderful things!!!Barbara
                              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                              X