Hello from PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from PA

Hello! Let me say this is such a wonderful site! I've been quilting, hand only until now, for about 16 years. I have a Brother xl 3500i on which I am supposed to be able to machine quilt. I say am supposed to because I have yet to figure out what I'm doing wrong! I watched the tutorial 3 times and did everything I thought I was supposed to but I keep having issues with the tension. I've adjusted it from the very lowest to highest setting and if I sew a straight line, it's fine, but if I attempt to do any stippling, it goes all wonky on me. I am not able to drop my feed dogs but I do have a darning plate, which as you probably know covers the feed dogs. If you could give me any advice at all, I would greatly appreciate it. If I get it worked out, I will very gladly and proudly post a picture of the final product, 2 lap quilts!

Thanks so much in advance,
    Missy

Re: Hello from PA

Welcome to the forum, Missy! Glad to have you join us. Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Florida! Sorry I can't offer any help with your machine, but I am sure someone here will.
        Donna

Comment

Originally posted by mhall3 View Post
          Hello! Let me say this is such a wonderful site! I've been quilting, hand only until now, for about 16 years. I have a Brother xl 3500i on which I am supposed to be able to machine quilt. I say am supposed to because I have yet to figure out what I'm doing wrong! I watched the tutorial 3 times and did everything I thought I was supposed to but I keep having issues with the tension. I've adjusted it from the very lowest to highest setting and if I sew a straight line, it's fine, but if I attempt to do any stippling, it goes all wonky on me. I am not able to drop my feed dogs but I do have a darning plate, which as you probably know covers the feed dogs. If you could give me any advice at all, I would greatly appreciate it. If I get it worked out, I will very gladly and proudly post a picture of the final product, 2 lap quilts!

Thanks so much in advance,
          Missy
          Is it possible to get free lessons where you bought the Brother machine you are using? I have a new Husqvarna and took free lessons at the store where I bought it.
          Life is full of loose threads - deal with it. :)

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Texas! I don't free motion quilt, so I can't help. I quilt using a Grace frame and a Juki machine.
            Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Welcome from Arizona
              bjsmith57

Comment

I can't wait to see your lap quilts!
                May your day be blessed. :icon_wave:

Shea Michelle

Comment

Welcome from NJ.
                  Barbara :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Hi Missy... welcome to the forum...i am your neighbor up north in NY. As far as you FMQ goes....I don't know what to tell you about your tension....but I always keep my feed dogs up when I do FMQ....i could not do it as good the other way. As far as it going wonky...I know mine has a lot to do with the speed at which i am moving my hands. I tend to go either too fast or too slow...and either one can mess up the thread....so maybe that is the problem??? just a guess though.
                    :D:DTyne:D:D

Comment

Hello and welcome from New York!
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Welcome Missy, we love PA.
                        Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
                        X