Aloha I am Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aloha I am Rose

Hello, my name is Rose and I live in Hawaii. I recently moved here and boy is it strange. I got married in sept and moved here for my husband which is in the military. I have started from scratch sewing and learning myself. I have mastered a lot of things and my husband for Christmas got me a future 400 omg where have I been. I have been appliqueing with a brother machine and this singer does it for me. I was blown. Now I want to pick up quilting. I love to quilt and making new designs. I would really love to just join a group and explore with them but here in Hawaii I really cant. So I need help. I don't know how to free motion quilt on my machine and was wondering if someone can help. Also is there a way I can program my embroidery hoop side of my machine to do it for me like the circles and stuff. I just need help and the forums and videos aren't much help on the internet.

Re: Aloha I am Rose

Welcome Rose!!! Did you make it to Kaimuki Dry Goods yet??? Love love LOVE that place! Even though they don't offer classes there, Kuni Fabrics is not far away and they do. When we were just there on vacation, I got the chance to go to both. Kaimuki is a huge store and would have any fabric you would ever need. They also have a lot of patterns I have never seen anyplace else.

Kuni Fabrics, while small had a class going on in the upstairs room. I don't know if the store even had 100 bolts to choose from, but the class, which I was invited to go peek at looked interesting. There was a nice, friendly group of women there and the instructor was more than happy to talk to me and answer any questions. When we hopefully move there this fall, I will definitely take a class here.
    Last edited by bubba; February 5, 2014, 02:45 PM.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, but I know nothing about your machine, but someone certainly will. Just check back here for a response. Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Aloha! Well you already did join a great group and it's here! You can find groups and quilting classes if you ask at the sewing shops. I'm on a different island, so I can't help you there. Do you have a car? Stuck on a base? Just poke around and ask some questions too.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wow I have only been going to fabric mart. I live in wahaiwa. I have to look at those places. Thank you so much! I am having a hard time getting damask print and polka dots. grrr... I really think I should have someone teach me free motion quilting. I have taught myself so much of the other sewing things just I think quilting is a little more difficult on my own. and videos aren't that helpful than one on one.

Comment

I am stuck on base but my husband lets me use his car. I love it here just I can't say much about the military because some people don't like them. but I am trying to learn the quilting stuff. I have quilted a lot in the past year and have done so much to baby bumpers and such just I want to do all the cool motion stuff.

Comment

Wait I just figured out my machine!!! omg grrr... so my tension for future viewers is set to about 7!!

Comment

Hi Rose:
                This Craftsy course is wonderful:

Free Motion Quilting a Sampler: Learn from quilter Leah Day!

and Leah also has a new quilt along on her website
                Leah Day | Inspire - Educate - Create

she is a great teacher, has lots of helpful tips and responds to questions promptly

you can also find videos on youtube--just put in her name and enjoy!

Lisa

Comment

Well, if you venture out to either of those stores, it will prove to be quite the adventure! The clerks in both stores were very friendly and helpful. Kaimuki is located on the backside of Diamond Head and Kuni Fabrics is in the University District, so it's not too far away. Basically, both sit back behind Waikiki and it takes 10-15 minutes to get to either one of them from the Waikiki area. From where you are, I'd say it would take a good 30 minutes in good traffic! Try to plan your trip to get you there and back before 3pm in the afternoon to avoid traffic! Oh, and save your pennies before you go, because they have such lovely things at Kaimuki Dry Goods!!!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Welcome, from Michigan

Comment

Hi Rose.......welcome to the forum.......jump in and join the fun.
                      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Hello Rose and welcome to the forum from Indiana! I don't have an embroidery machine so I can't offer any information on that, but I'm sure there are lots of people who can give you some pointers. This forum has a wealth of information on it and has been very helpful to me.
                        :icon_wave: Teresa

Comment

Welcome! Enjoy your time in Hawaii. How long will you be stationed there? My son is in the military and he just moved from California to Texas. I am new to the forum. There seems to be a lot of good information here.

Comment

Working...
                          X