X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libthegc
    replied
    Re: New!

Hi, Claudia and welcome from SC! I, too, am pretty new at quilting, so I can appreciate your need to ask your question. As I learned in school (and said to my students that I taught during my teaching career): there are no stupid questions. Every question comes from a need to know. I look forward to learning from the folks here as I already have from the tutorials. Although I'm not a grandmother, I am past 50 (how did that happen?) and am exercising my mental faculties by taking up a new hobby - quilting. My daughter who's in her 20's runs rings around me as she's a very accomplished quilter and has her own LA machine; she's very patient with me, answering the same question multiple times, I'm afraid. So, when she's not available or when I'm too embarrassed to ask her something, I'll be sure to fire off a question here!

Leave a comment:

• MaryB
    replied

Hello from Australia, Claudia. I am also a grandmother and didn't start my quilting journey until I was 67 although I had sewn clothing for myself and family most of my adult life. I too, didn't have a clue what all the strange new phrases meant and had to start from scratch and I do mean, scratch. What helped me most was reading every quilt magazine, quilting book in the library and everything I could find aimed at the beginner and everything with lots of illustrations and piccies. I also asked lots and lots of questions and thought most of them were pretty dumb, BUT no-one ever made me feel dumb or failed to be helpful and thoughtful. You will find quilters to be some of the most generous and kindest people on earth. Jump right in and most of all ENJOY.

Happy quilting
    Mary B.

Leave a comment:

• EsGrandma
    replied

Colorado welcomes you too! Believe me, there are no dumb questions!! The ladies here have helped me so much and I have asked some pretty strange questions - watch out though - quilting is addictive! We're looking forward to hearing and seeing your art works!

Leave a comment:

• RFREE
    replied

Welcome from Ky. You will most certainly love it here. As the girls said there is no quilt police. No such thing as a dumb question either. Never be afraid to ask because I assure you ,you may not be the only one wanting to know the same thing. And remember post your pictures of your projects. WE LOVE LOVE LOVE PICTURES!!! You will become addicted. I know I did!!
    Rhonda

Leave a comment:

• plix
    replied

Hi Claudia. Nice to meet ya.

I agree with Twinkeyes, EXCEPT when following a pattern. You really have to follow the instructions on a pattern if you want it to turn out the way you expect it to.
    For example, if it says you need a 5 inch FINISHED square, that means you CUT a 5 1/2 inch square. Then you have 1/4 inch for a seam on each side. When sewn, this makes a 5 inch FINISHED square. Hope that made sense. And twinkeyes is right....NO QUILT POLICE!! Only artists at work. Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Hi Claudia. Welcome from Vermont. I'm new too. The folks here have helped me soooo much. And I have certainly asked my share of dumb questions. But they're not dumb; they're the same ones every newbie asks. Jump right in with both feet. You're gonna love it. And if you get stuck or have a problem, the folks here can help you. (You do have a seam ripper, right....LOL). Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• twnkeyes
    replied

There's never a dumb question! Congrats on beginning your love of quilting! You do not allow for 1/4" when cutting. A five in square is a five inch cut square and the 1/4" is taken from that when sewn. Also, as for ironing the seam. I was taught to iron to the dark side, not open. You'll get lots of great information and opinons here but always remember, THERE ARE NO QUILTING POLICE! That's what makes quilting a one of a kind art and a treasure for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• hehe24
    started a topic New!

New!

Hello all you sweet quilters. I am a grandmother, so that tells you I'm beyond 50! I have never in my life made a quilt. Both of my grandmothers were wonderful quilt makers, but I didn't care about sewing when they were alive so I never learned from them, which makes me sad. I am SO excited to make my first quilt.

I have been doing some free motion stitching just for fun for use on gifts, cards, etc. That led to the quilting bug. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about quilting - books, tutorials, blogs - everything, and think I'm ready to start. But can I just say I'm very nervous! I have every tool necessary to begin, including some scrap fabric I'm going to use on my first one. It's time for me to begin cutting out my squares. I have a wonderful pattern that's very simple, so I should be fine.

I came here for hand-holding. There's so much discussion about ironing seams - open, to the side, which side, etc. That confuses me. Of everything, I think it's the most confusing. I understand 1/4" scant seams and have a 1/4" foot. I sew on a 1937 Singer Featherweight that's a real work horse as those of you who have one know. I love it.

My first question is this: When cutting out your squares, say you're cutting 5" squares, do you cut them 5 and 1/4" to allow for the seam, or do you cut them exactly 5"? I know that's a dumb question, but like I said, I've never done this.

Thank you for listening to me. I'm so new to this, but so excited to get started! Thank you for letting me join your group. I can't wait to meet you all!

Claudia
Working...
X