new member, time to start healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new member, time to start healing

Hi everyone, I've actually been hanging around and reading all your posts for months, but today is the day to start anew.

I buried my husband of 35 years yesterday after the worst 6 1/2 weeks of my life trying to help him fight off leukemia.

I think things like quilting and learning new techniques will really help keep me from crawling under my bed and staying there.

My new Koala cabinet was supposed to be delivered yesterday...obviously that got rescheduled. But I've got my sewing room almost set up the way I wanted it.

I will be around a lot asking for advice and just hanging out.

thanks for listening.
    ~Shannon~

Women are Angels ...
    And when someone breaks our wings...
    we simply continue to fly...
    on a broomstick...

We are flexible....

Re: new member, time to start healing

Bless Your Heart..Shannon...you are in our Prayers.......quilting is going to be good for you......try to stay busy.......you are with friends here........
    bopeep
    sigpic

Comment

My condolences. Quilting will heal your sadness and maybe you can take some classes at your local quilt shop. I have made many new friends and I love how we laugh and sew. Ladies that quilt are the best!!!! Dianne

Comment

My deepest sympathies! I am so glad you came here and yes quilting will surely help. As Dianne said if you can take a class that will be great therapy as well. I am also sending you a BIG HUG!
        Shauna
        sigpic
        Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

You have a whole lot of friends here who are sharing your pain. We are also sharing encouragement, ideas, instructions, fun, and support in your new found hobby. Thanks for joining us.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sorry for you loss. Quilting can be a wonderful outlet. hope to see you here often.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you decided to "start anew" and post. You'll find lots of encouragement, advice, and fun here. Enjoy all the pictures and be sure to share pics as you get your sewing space together. Lots of sewing room enthusiasts here!
              Last edited by debinmalaga; March 20, 2011, 09:33 AM.
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Dearest Shannon, my name is Gina, on Oct 28th, 2008 my husband of 6 years, was found dead in our home... he died alone... he had a heart condition we were not aware of. on top of stress from other medical issues... long story... but i had always love to look at quilts.. and one day knew i would take it up... so one day... i went to my local quilt shop signed up for the class. and put my needle down and that was all i had to think about. wow all my guilt ..( i should have been there... stuff like that)

plus the love and support i have found in this community... has been such a big comfort...

at the quilt shop... we went around.. and intro ourselves.. why are you here.... other ladies i want to make wedding presents for kids and grand kids... i explode in tears and snot.... i am here to sew the pieces of my life back together ... my husband died... and i need this... sobs and every orifice on face leaked.... by the end of my 6 week coarse,, i was feeling stronger... and was able to speak of my husband without the emotional freak out that came before... i still miss my Bill.. think of him everyday... but the quiltting.... made the transition so much better... my advice to you.. if you quilt or want to learn... go to a class. be with people... i was able to shift... the thinking in my head around... i know the pain of loosing the life companion... and there is just no other words... it is awful... and i am young 45 and not interested in going through it again...

the new studio will be so wonderful for you... don't forget to be with people... and sometimes... new people new friends... help... so get on phone and get to nearest quilt shop sign on for that new technique. and put your needle in...

hugs and kisses, and may we too be your comfort... tear trickles down my cheek...
                all the best
                Gina

Comment

Shannon. Welcome to our group. I'm so sorry for your loss. Nothing I can replace your DH but keeping busy and staying in touch with family and friends will help. You've just made a whole bunch of new friends here. The class suggestion sounds like a great idea. BTW, what is a Koala cabinet?
                  ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

You picked a great way to keep busy. You'll love it here. Everyone is super nice and very willing to help out if you need any advice.
                    I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you have loved ones to give you the support you need. If you have the chance, joining a quilting group is good advice.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Dearest Shannon........ I send my prayers your way. I hope quilting helps to calm you as you continue life's journey. God bless you, honey

Mia
                      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                      Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                      (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Dear Shannon, Many prayers are being sent to you over the loss of your dear husband. So sorry. During times of sadness, I have used quilting to help.

Welcome to this group and this site - there are some wonderful tutorials that really inspired me to try some new things and Jenny's instructions are the best. The wonderful ladies here are so knowledgeable and willing to help - don't be afraid to ask!

And also - what is a koala cabinet?

Take care dear heart - you are among friends here.

Comment

Shannon, I am so sorry for your loss. I have been married for 25 years and can't imagine the grief you must be going through. You have picked by far, the best place to be. These ladies and gents are in a class all their own. You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful and supportive with anything and everything you have going on. I am so glad you found us! God bless you.

Comment

Shannon, so sorry for your loss. It is an undescribable feeling. I have been there. Welcome here!! Lots of great people and so much to learn. Hope to talk to you soon. My heart goes out to you. Shirley
                            Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Sending you prayers for the strength of heart to get through this difficult time. You are obviously a strong woman for getting through what you did. I have to say I agree with these ladies that quilting is a good outlet. I became interested during my husbands second deployment which was the more difficult one and certainly is a way to get your mind to focus on a easier lighter subject when everything else is so overwhelming. Take care of yourself!!
                              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
                              X