Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Newbie

Hello all
    My name is Andra, just bought a sewing machine last month and I am hooked. I have made a couple of quilts, and I am hooked. Love to learn and try new things.

Re: Quilting Newbie

We are so very happy you have found us. Show us pictures - we love pictures.

WELCOME.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I will try to post a pic, having trouble getting it uploaded. I am kinda of embarrassed showing my quilt efforts because none of them turned out the way I wanted them to. All the lines(seams?) did not match up properly but I guess that all comes with time and practice.

Comment

These are them.
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Andra, and GOOD JOB on those quilts! They look beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us!
          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I like your quilts, they are very pretty. You are right practice makes perfect. You appear to be on your way as I don't see much wrong. You might try nesting your seams and when you sew your rows together if it's a long seam sew down the length and then turn your row around and sew the next row. You are reversing the directions you are sewing in and your quilt won't get wavy on you. I hope this makes sense to you. Hugs, Jan
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to steer anyone wrong. Thanks, Jan L
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Fantastic colors! I like the square in the square the best. Can't believe you did these in a month! Yikes! I am really slow. You probably don't want advice from a turtle, but I'll volunteer what I do to match seams. I drive my "hare" friends crazy, so it might not be the best way, but I'm satisfied when done.
                First, I make sure all my blocks are the exact same size by squaring them off. Then, I connect the seams I want to match, and stitch about an inch over the seams so they will stay in place. I check them, rip them out if they slipped - (only an inch to rip out if it slipped - not bad). When all seams are matched up - then I do the whole seam, stitching right over my inch stitches.
                Also, helps if seams are pressed opposite and lie flat when side by side, making it easier for machine to fly over them.
                It might take a little longer - but I like my seams to match, and will rip out until I am satisfied, so only doing an inch saves me time. I finished a complete front of 25 blocks and border yesterday, and the seams all matched - so I was really happy!
                Welcome to the forum...and thanks for joining us!
                Debi

Comment

I LOVE advice from a turtle a hare a bird a rock...LOL doesn't matter. Couple of questions if that's ok.
                  Nesting seams? Not really sure what that means. I am also having major issues cutting things straight. Any ideas?
                  Thanks for the support means alot
                  Andra

Comment

Originally posted by babywontsleep View Post
                    I will try to post a pic, having trouble getting it uploaded. I am kinda of embarrassed showing my quilt efforts because none of them turned out the way I wanted them to. All the lines(seams?) did not match up properly but I guess that all comes with time and practice.
                    If I were to be embarrassed because my seams don't always match or if nothing turned out the way I wanted, I'd crawl in a big hole in the ground and pull a rock over it!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by janluna View Post
                      Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to steer anyone wrong. Thanks, Jan L
                      Dear Jan,

Oh, how I hate to write . . . isn't that a song?

You could NEVER steer anyone wrong!!!!!! Great going!!

Comment

Andra,

I don't see anything wrong with your quilts, wouldn't mind having any of them in my home. Great colors, your square in a square is inspiring me. Don't point out your mismatches and no one who matters will notice.

Pat

Comment

Thank you,

Everyone is so positive and helpful I think I may have found a new home.

Comment

Working...
                          X