new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to the forum

i havent started making a quilt yet as i dont know where to start, like do i get the tools or the fabric first plz help, my name is carol and i stay in motherwell scotland

Re: new to the forum

A lady there after mine own heart - from my far-distant motherland of Scotland. A country that I fell in love with many years ago. I could move there and be happy forever. Carol - don't tell anyone, but you live in a bit of Heaven.

Welcome on board. Check out the tab at the top - MSQC Quilt Shop and view some of their tutorials. I believe you will be hooked for life.

And, if Dear Nellie happens to pop up her head, please tell her Sandy said hello. Oh, and a package of fresh scones as they only make in Scotland would be well received here - and some fresh clotted cream . . . my address is . . .
    Ah, my taste buds are stirring.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hi Carol,

Have you watched the tutorials on this site? They can be a great place to learn some basics.

Are you new to sewing, or just new to quilting? Do you have any supplies at all?

I had NO sewing tools when I first started, so I know it can be overwhelming. Start with scissors, a rotary cutter and mat, and a two foot ruler. You'll need some marking pencils for fabric, but you can purchase those as you purchase fabric and thread. You'll need some pins and needles and other notions.

Pick out the item you'd like to make - I'd recommend some basic blocks you can turn into tablerunners and small quilts.

Pick out your fabrics and thread according to the needs of your project, and jump in! There are lots of blocks that are charm pack friendly, and I'd recommend charm packs as a good way to get to know fabric.

Check in here with your questions, there are lots of talented and helpful people who would love to assist you.

Good luck, and I'm curious to see what other responses you get!
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

nice to meet you sandy, i dont know about the scones and clotted cream dont think they would still be fresh to eat when they got there lol

Comment

I have watched most of the tutorials on youtube and find them really easy to follow looking forward t getting started

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
            Hi Carol,

Have you watched the tutorials on this site? They can be a great place to learn some basics.

Are you new to sewing, or just new to quilting? Do you have any supplies at all?

I had NO sewing tools when I first started, so I know it can be overwhelming. Start with scissors, a rotary cutter and mat, and a two foot ruler. You'll need some marking pencils for fabric, but you can purchase those as you purchase fabric and thread. You'll need some pins and needles and other notions.

Pick out the item you'd like to make - I'd recommend some basic blocks you can turn into tablerunners and small quilts.

Pick out your fabrics and thread according to the needs of your project, and jump in! There are lots of blocks that are charm pack friendly, and I'd recommend charm packs as a good way to get to know fabric.

Check in here with your questions, there are lots of talented and helpful people who would love to assist you.

Good luck, and I'm curious to see what other responses you get!
            new to quilting i will be doing it by hand as my sewing machine is broke at the moment will have to get a new 1 or get the old 1 sorted

Comment

Hand stitched quilts are few and far between. My friend made a quilt all hand stitched and it was beautiful. I don't have the patience to do that hand piecing but hand quilting I love. It is so relaxing and calming. Welcome to the site, the people here are fantastic! Aren't you people? We have one male quilter that I know of, so I can't say ladies anymore. Unless it's ladies and gentleman. I think that's wonderful. Eagle Feather and his wife work on the quilts together. I was telling him I would love to have my DH cut my fabric for me as he works with metrics and calibrates machine parts everyday. My quilts would come out exactly the way they should if he would cut for me. But alas, he is too busy running a business and putting food on the table so until he retires my guess is I keep guessing at cutting fabric. I really need a class on that. lol
              Anyway Carol, welcome and have a great day! Hugs, Jan
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Welcome!! I admire anyone who can do hand stitched piecing greatly. I wish I had learned how to do it....
                Michele

Comment

Working...
                X