New to quilting..........Safety first!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to quilting..........Safety first!!

Hello everyone, it's so nice to be able to meet you all and have the opportunity to chat with so many talented people! I have wanted to quilt for many years and now that I am retired I have extra time to do the things I love! Immediately I signed on to take Jenny Doan's quilting classes through Sympoz.....this is brilliant and I am moving along quite quickly.
    Not all things can be positive though!! Last Friday, I was cutting my last piece of material and I cut the side and top of my left index finger off with my rotary cutter!! Yes, it hurts immensely and it is disgusting in appearance. So if someone tells you to be careful around using this tool, beleive them and take your time to be careful!
    Now, I want and pray that my finger will heal well and I won't require a skin graft. The sooner it heals, the sooner I can continue quilting!

Have a wonderful day ..........Elaine

Re: New to quilting..........Safety first!!

oh my goodness..I am hurting for you and Im surprised I haven't done that yet. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back in the saddle again
    Patrice

Comment

Oh good Lord! That is horrible! Hoping you heal quickly and completely

Until then, come back and play with us here online. Share what else you have learned, made.

Blessings
      blondie
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Man, I nicked myself the other day but it was only papercut proportions. Hope it heals fast!
        Lin
        Lin

Comment

Oh, that makes me shudder to think about it! Hope you heal real fast!

Comment

Oh So sorry. Those blades are incredibily sharp!!!!! I guess we should all use those klutz gloves. I try to be so careful. Hope your finger heals quickly.
            Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I'm so glad you're embarking on the quilting journey, and what an obstacle to have to overcome --- best wishes for a quick and complete recovery. I have a whole new respect for my rotary cutter now!! Thanks for sharing... Deb
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the best site for quilting that there is on the internet. The gals here are the best. Im so to read about you cutter acccident. OUCH! Thanks for the warning. I always wonder if Im gonna do the same thing. Glad you got back into the saddle. Show that cutter whos the boss. WELCOME!!!!!!
                Have a blessed day in HIS name!
                PAULA

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                  I have a whole new respect for my rotary cutter now!! Thanks for sharing... Deb
                  Deb respect for this very useful but extremely dangerous tool is very important.

This the main thing I try to teach my beginners, especially about putting the cover on when putting the cutter down, ask me about the accidents I know of from that practice. And lessons on proper use of the cutter and ruler are primary on my teaching list. I don't care if your points don't match, but leave that cover open and I will smack your fingers.

Elaine, I am so sorry to hear about your accident but I am pleased that you have been brave enough to share with others. I do most sincerely hope your finger heals without too much drama, I will be thinking of you.

Hugs from Australia
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It's really easy to forget those things are sharp, even for those of us who have been quilting for years. Sometimes you get to going fast, and WAMMO! something crazy happens. Last winter I was trying to "speed quilt" a christmas gift and ended up sewing my middle finger. Broke the needle, but fortunately, did not break my finger. Scared my DH terribly.

So it's not just newbies that need the Safety first lesson.
                    Hope your fingers heal soon.

-Mary

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us..... and like the others said.........reading of your accident made me cringe. I've imagined how easily something like that could happen and I try to be conscientious when I use my rotary cutter, but now I'll be even more cautious.

My prayers and wishes are for your comfort and quick healing. Take care of yourself and blessings to you and your family

Hugs
                      Mia
                      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                      Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                      (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Working...
                      X