Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Forum

Hi,
    I started making quilts a while ago and then did nothing for a long time. I think I was too busy
    playing tennis. Ha ha. Anyway, this year, in Feb., I started sewing again. Since then, I have made about 80 small quilts. I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking at quilts and getting ideas and inspiration. And I have filled up several small notebooks with ideas. So I am having fun.
    I do have a question: Can someone recommend an iron for me? The last two I have had have been very difficult to see where the water level is for steam, and they have leaked, not much, but enough to be annoying. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Susanne

I have been using a Panasonic cordless elliptical iron for almost four years and love it. I bought it here at M*. Welcome to the forum!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Susanne
      Susanne commented
      Editing a comment
      I will take a look. Thanks. What is an elliptical iron?

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado. I've been using a Black & Decker steam iron for many years. It's heavier than some, but it's easy to see the water fill line.

Comment

• Susanne
      Susanne commented
      Editing a comment
      Will take a look.. thanks. Although I may have to be wary of the weight since i have wrist problems from time to time.

Welcome! 80 quilts since February! Wow! I just bought a CHI iron and love it. I can see the water level, and it doesn’t turn off quickly, I think it shuts off after 30 minutes. It steams really well.

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Canada's capital. We'd love to see some of your projects and quilt tops. Enjoy the forum.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Welcome to the forum from SE Missouri. I hope you come to get as much as I have from here.

Comment

Welcome from Texas. I'm impressed with your 80 quilts since February. We would love to see pictures of them.
          I have a Rowenta iron but don't like it much. DD bought it for me several years ago. It's very hard to see the water line for the steam & recently it has starting "spitting" out water when I push the steam button. I'll keep using it until it quits on me but I've never cared for it from day one.
          Texas

Comment

Welcome from FL!

I am still trying to find my way with irons. I just switched back to the 0liso iron after a break. The surge protector kept popping and I thought it was the iron. It's working fine on a different outlet.

My embroidery machine doesn't like being on the same outlet with the iron. Like naughty children they are now separated.
            A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
            Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

• jwchristy
              jwchristy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! Most of the surge protectors are rated 1500 watts and the Oliso is 1800……

No info on iron I just wanted to say welcome from Wisconsin! And holy moly 80 quilts! At this rate you are on your way to being in the Guiness Book of Records! I do not and will never be able to sew that fast.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You have been very busy with quilting. I have a Panasonic cordless iron which I like very much.
              Vernona (Beaverton OR)

Comment

Welcome from Canada. I've been happily using an Oliso iron for the past three years. It helps with wrist problems as you don't have to lift it to stand it up. It has three 'feet' that drop down when you let go of it so it stays in the down or 'ironing' position all the time. The only con is that it's rather expensive.
                Maria
                Alberta, Canada

Comment

I am not spending big bucks for irons that don't last. I went and got a little black & decker (wally world) it was shown as a travel iron, but almost as large as regular ones, it's light, easy to see how much water is left, and 3 years later is still going great. Only thing is is does not have auto shut off, but I always unplug when I am done with sewing anyway. And welcome from Oklahoma!
                  Kate (Oklahoma)
                  There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Welcome from another Canadian. I have no recommendations for an iron, sorry.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hello Suzanne and we’ll me to the forum 🧵🧵
                      💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Welcome from Kentucky! I just buy a cheap iron and they usually last a long time. I couldn’t tell you the name without looking.

Comment

Working...
                        X