Newbee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbee!

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to quilting and joined this group because I so love the tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Co and many of the posts here are from rather experienced quilters. So far I have completed five quilts from class where the fabrics were chosen for me. I tried to strike out on my own....I obtained a great package of material (17 fat quarters) from an older collection called Janine Burke Great Wall (Troy Riverwoods) that are in orange, purple, green and pink. They are pretty dark. I have NO idea where to start to locate an appropriate pattern for beginner/intermediate quilters and would love recommendation from the more experienced users. Anyone interested in helping me? I can attach a photo of the materials if needed.

Welcome to the forum!! Here is a pattern for fat quarters that you may like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4FAkZ-r1Z0
    I used this pattern for a Christmas table topper. It was fun and the little bit left over was used for other projects.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

Howdy from Texas! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. There are a lot of fat quarter quilt patterns out there. The Fat Quarter Shop has some free ones that are available to download. Here's the link to them & hope you find something you like:

https://www.fatquartershop.com/free-...quilt-patterns

Comment

Welcome from Indiana. I don't know what kind of access you have to a library,. but our local library here has tons of quilting books that are available in electronic format as well as numerous magazines available. I would suggest that in addition to checking out the various sites on the web, you look there for some books on fat quarter quilts.

There is a wealth of information available here as well. You're in good company.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

Welcome to the Forum from smoky Colorado. Just because you have fat qtrs. on hand, does not mean you need to make a FQ pattern. FQs can be cut down to the size pieces you need. When I first started out, I used some of the Turning Twenty patterns. They are simple beginning patterns. I had not yet discovered M* & all of Jenny's tutorials. Some of the simple patterns are a 9-patch, 4-patch, Rail Fence, & others. Browse through Jenny's tutorials. Also, there is a ton of info. & free how-to's on YouTube. You can search the web for easy quilt patterns for beginning quilters. There's a whole world out there just waiting for you to discover! Happy Quilting!

Comment

Thanks all of you. With all the stuff happening these days, I am pretty confined to my home. Quilting has been a god-sent! It is one of the most relaxing things I have ever done. It ranks up there with yoga and meditation and you have something wonderful when you are done. Wish I started earlier in life -- I could have use the de-stresser when I was working!

Comment

Welcome Bernice from BC, Canada! Hope you enjoy this wonderful community. =)
              Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. You will find lots of helpful people here. I agree with Joy’s recommendations. I’ve done several turning twenty quilts. They are fairly easy and in a quilt group I belonged to we cut it down and used leas fat quarters (I think we used 9) to make smaller quilts. Worked out very nice.
                Carlie

Comment

Welcome from Quebec Canada. You have come to a wonderful place here.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Welcome from northern California!

Jeannette

Comment

Welcome from Trenton Ontario and big welcome to Quilting ! 003f81357ff84237805aedd91944c6cd.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi and welcome from the suburbs of Canada's capital. Oh there is so much that can be made with fat quarters. I am actually starting to prefer these to pre-cuts, as I can wash them if I chose (especially if batiks or red/indigo colours).

Here's one that I made with 15 FQs. Added some background and bought some of the same fabric from the collection for the border, but optional. KindredPinwheels.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                        X