Oceangirl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oceangirl

Hi from the warm sunny shores of NC. New to quilting. Looking for someone to guide me in cutting out squares from fabric. I do have experience in sewing and you have to lay out pattern pieces for clothing a certain direction based on selvedge. Does that come into consideration when cutting out squares or other shapes? I am trying my hand using a panel to create an attic window quilted wallhanging. I have already cut up my panel and now need to cut the light and dark pieces which will create the window panel affect. So i am wondering if i need to cut those pieces from my yard of fabric in anycertain way with regard to selvedge. Thanks.

Hello and Welcome from Trenton, Ontario , Canada. I think if you haven't seen Jenny's video, this will be a great guide .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vzI0Jp3ak

Comment

• Oceangirl
      Oceangirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I have viewed her video and it did list the quantity of fabric but did not seem to mention if it mattered how you cut out the pieces. I will give it another look. Thanks.

Welcome from TX, I lived in NC ...it was fantastic ...one of my favorite places to live. I only left due my ex being military.

Comment

Welcome from BC, Canada! Lots of experienced quilters to help you here.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Welcome from Tennessee. Most pieces are cut width of fabric and then subcut to appropriate size. Unless you have directional fabric you don’t worry about the selvage in quilting

Comment

• Oceangirl
          Oceangirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thanks.

Welcome from Indiana. Lots of knowledge and help are available here.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

Welcome from a former Tarheel.
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome to the forum from So. Calif.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado. Hope you enjoy the interaction here.

Comment

Welcome. I've never found a difference regarding lengthwise or crosswise straight of grain. Most times I cut across my width of fabric. Occassionally, I have seen folks recommend cutting borders on the lengthwise grain since it has less stretch than crosswise.

Comment

Thanks Karen C for info.

Comment

Usually no it doesn't matter with squares. if in doubt, starch your fabrics before cutting. That always helps anyway. Welcome!!!😁

Comment

Welcome from Texas! So glad you joined us & you will find lots of help here. Looks like you already have your question answered. Have fun with your new (addicting) quilting hobby.

Comment

Welcome from the Mile High City.

Comment

Welcome to the forum the suburbs of Ottawa's capital. It should not make a difference, but usually cut the fabric selvedge to selvedge to save fabric.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                          X