Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s old is new again

Hi everyone,
    I started quilting 28 years ago but gave it up 22 years ago after my fourth child. There wasn’t enough room in the house so I either gave up quilting or my baby. I gave up quilting though, yes, there have been days I wonder if I made the right decision 😉 Everyone has more less moved out now and I have 7 grandchildren with another 2 due next year. Time to get back to making quilts! I’ve made three during this Covid time and goodness me, have I forgotten a lot! I tried a star quilt. There was no point. Literally. What do you call a star without points? Pointless! So with the help of Jenny and other’s inspirational and educational videos, I’m working at getting better and developing some new tricks to help get my stars on point. I imagine there are a lot of other inspirational quilters right here, in these forums, and I’m looking forward to hearing and learning from all your quilting journeys!
    A special shout out to all my fellow Canadian quilters...there are some here, right?

Welcome from TX. Glad you've revisited your quilting journey. I've had to convert many dining tables through the years to continue quilting..I have 5 grown kiddos now. Well the youngest is 17. This is a great place!!

Comment

Welcome from Northeast Ohio! We do have several Canadian quilters here ... and quilters from other countries, too! Don't be afraid to ask questions, and we love to see pictures of finished quilts.

Welcome 1.png

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri...glad you decided to join us. You will learn a lot and get loads of inspiration here.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from Colorado. I hope you enjoy your continued quilting journey. This is a welcoming place. Glad you joined us. There are several Canadians on the Forum. I don't know of any who live on Vancouver Island. I took up quilting after I retired from nursing 11 yrs. ago. I had to learn a whole new jargon & methods. You can view people's photo albums by clicking on their user name & going to their personal profile. Click on media & view pictures of their quilts. We also post pics of our projects here under the topic Show and Tell, or in the daily chat thread.

Comment

Welcome from Sunny Florida!

Donna Jordan has a free tutorial for stars that float, you may want to check out her tutorials from Jordan's Fabrics.
            Katrina
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome from NW Minnesota! Glad you've discovered quilting again 😀 During this pandemic, it's great to have something as comforting and stress-relieving as sewing to keep us happy and sane. I started quilting after I retired from teaching, 6 years ago. I still consider myself a "newbie" and take advantage of all the knowledge the quilters here share.

Comment

Welcome from Texas! So glad you found your way back to quilting. Jenny is a great teacher & fun to watch on her videos. Quilting/Sewing have been a real stress reliever & fun time for me now that I am retired. Hope to soon see some of the quilts you have made. Ask as many questions as you can think of. You will always find lots of help here.

Comment

Another welcome from Minnesota! I was in a boat simliar to you. Started quilting in the early 90's and because of work and just life I was not able to devote much, if any, time to it. I retired last year and have been working on projects I had started way back when. This forum is a great place to get help and/or suggestions. I, too, am struggling with my points!
                  Carlie

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Canadian! I'm in Québec. I put quilting on the back burner when my last baby was born, and like others here, was never able to find time for it again until I retired. I did do garment sewing for the family all along, but never any time for quilting.

When I got back into it, I started slowly: table runners, place mats, etc. I stayed away from the more complicated blocks at first. I was amazed at all the "new" stuff available: rotary cutters, cutting mats, rulers, vast variety of fabrics.

You can't go wrong with Jenny! Just take your time and enjoy every minute of it. I'm always curious about sewing machines. What kind of machine are you using ?

Hope we'll hear from you again soon.

Welcome! Bienvenue !

Comment

Welcome from Indiana. I feel your pain when it comes to stars. Glad that you're back in the saddle.

Rob
                      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                      --Ken Burns

Comment

Another welcome from Minnesota. Glad you found your way back to quilting, and that you have joined this forum. Lots of friendly folks here willing to share their expertise.

What do you call a star without points? A design choice! 😉

Comment

Welcome to the forum from the Basque Country in the north od Spain, I hope see it in the forum and do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have, someone will answer you wisely

Comment

Welcome from another fellow Canadian! I've lived in Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary and now call Edmonton home. This is such a lovely community. I know you'll enjoy being here.
                            Maria

Comment

Welcome from the suburbs of Canada's capital. I know that you will enjoy your newly found time for quilting. Although I have sewn since I was about 10, I always wanted to quilt like my grandma. After I retired, was a bit too busy, so 5 years ago, I took a class and was hooked. My husband also followed what I was doing and got into the hobby, although not as obsessed. He is more of stash accumulator, so road trips are fun and usually include local quilt shops.

Enjoy the forum.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X