Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Germany

Hi there!

my name is Hanna, I’m 33 years old and I‘m from Germany. I started sewing about eight years ago, when my mother-in-law gifted me her 20-year old Bernina. I started out mostly making dog coats, collars and dog beds. Then, sadly, my machine broke and couldn’t be fixed, so I got a cheap Singer... after the corona outbreak, sewing mask after mask, I decided that I might as well do it on a nice machine and after two years of struggling with my singer, I finally decided to buy an Elna excellence 720pro - mostly thinking that I’d like a machine that sews through heavy fabrics nicely. I didn’t even have quilting in mind.
    It came with all those knick-knacks I didn’t have any use for, but then (after watching many sewing videos), YouTube started suggesting videos by the Missouri Star Quilt Company, Just Get It Done Quilts and Angela Walters - I found their craft fascinating!

So, I decided to make a quilt for my niece. While working on it, I was already hooked. I’m currently quilting my second quilt, the next quilt top is done and waiting to be basted and quilted - and I’ve already got so many projects in my head waiting to be realized. I have always liked arts and crafts, but I have never had a hobby that I found both so fun and relaxing.

I really enjoy the fmq, but I still kind of struggle with the piecing. I can’t seem to wrap my head around chain piecing my squares and blocks without some of them turning out the wrong way - I’m positive it will get better with practice, though. For now, I’m just taking it one piece of fabric at a time.

As a complete quilting-newbie, I hope to find some tips, inspiration and exchange on here.

So, hi everyone, nice to meet you!

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida. Enjoy the journey!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Yes welcome, from Texas USA. you will have fun here and learn lots too. many videos to help you out. I mainly learned from Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day. many years ago. Have fun!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado. Chain piecing doesn't always work for me. I frequently piece one block at a time. I have a block board on which I lay out my pieces. I'll stick a pin in the tops of the pieces so I keep the orientation correct. My block board is 2 layers of square cardboard taped together, then covered by flannel, enveloped & fastened together on the end with straight pins so it can be removed for washing. I have boards measuring 9", 12", 15" & 17". I keep one block board at the side of my sewing mach. & or on my ironing board as I work on that block. My design wall is the fam. rm. carpeted floor, so I carry unfinished & finished blocks back & forth from my sewing room to the layout.

We're glad you joined us. Post pics of your projects.

Just curious, how are things with the pandemic in Germany? Are kids going to school in classroom or via virtual learning at home? My DIL is from Holland. The kids have been back to school for some time there. What is Europe doing better than what is happening in the USA?

Comment

Welcome from Indiana. I have a very good friend from Germany. Currently she is living in Vienna studying to be a veterinarian.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

Thank you so much for your warm welcome everyone
            min gonna have to get some sort of board to pin down down my patterns - as of now, my living room carpet will have to do. My cats and dogs really enjoy my laid out patterns, though 😅 I’ll certainly try more pinning and clipping with my next project, thought!
            Last edited by Pinkabell; August 13, 2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
              Just curious, how are things with the pandemic in Germany? Are kids going to school in classroom or via virtual learning at home? My DIL is from Holland. The kids have been back to school for some time there. What is Europe doing better than what is happening in the USA?
              The last couple of months, everything worked out fine. In Germany, there’d be a mask mandate for every shop,office, retailer you entered, and numbers went down. Apperently,this suggested to many people that things are good - which isn’t the case. students are returning to schools, people are coming back home from their holidays, many of whom are infected. We were doing so well in the spring and I’m astonished to see how people behave now. Not in a good way.
              Last edited by Pinkabell; August 13, 2020, 10:31 PM. Reason: -

Comment

Welcome from TX. I lived in Herbersberg and loved it!! I so miss the village life there. I just found lori holt's boards and made lots of them. Never knew what I was missing. The instructions are on youtube. If I remember right you can get all the materials there. I just loved it over there..I hope I can go back!! Love to see a picture of your quilt!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. This is a wonderful place for new ideas, inspiration and getting help with your sewing when needed.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from SW Ohio the home of the famous Wright Brothers that made airplane flight possible. I loved traveling in Germany when we lived in Belgium. Of course that was way before you were born. LOL A word of warning: quilting can be addicting.
                    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                    Aesop

Comment

Welcome from Illinois

Comment

Hello and Welcome.
                        I love iphones and buy its accessories such as earbuds, waterproof cases, charging cases and screen covers and etc

Comment

Hello and welcome from Southern California . Glad you found us. Don't hesitate to ask questions, so many quilters with lots of experience to help out.

Comment

Thanks so much for your nice words, everyone! Very happy to hear that so many of you enjoyed your stay in Europe

I'm so sorry I'm replying just now, still figuering these forums out.

My DIL is from Holland. The kids have been back to school for some time there.
                            I really hope your family is doing well, despite schools opening back up!

Thank you so much fot the tipps on making a design [email][email protected]Momofmonsters5 and @JCY . I Think I've seen Lore Holts video on that That would make a really nice (and space saving) tool to help organize myself. I'll definitely look into that!

I'd really like to show my projects on here.

My first quilt (and the only one I've finished so far), I made for my niece. My sister had her first kid in November, and due to Covid, me and most of my family haven't been able to meet her. My sister, her husband and my niece Ida are moving from Minnesota to Germany in September though, so I thought this would make a nice present for her.

For my second quilt, I tried a jelly roll race - using fairly cheap fabrics from my local department store. I wanted to use the colors that are dominant in my mom's living room. Since we've had a bit of a heat wave over here, I haven't done as much quilting as I'd liked, and haven't finished it, yet...

... instead I started piecing another quilt top with a chevron pattern that my husband really liked, so I guess we're going to keep that one for ourselves
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Pinkabell; August 22, 2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Hello & welcome from Texas! I love what you have made so far. The quilt for your niece is so pretty & I absolutely adore how you finished the back. I've never made a jelly roll race quilt but I always like the looks of them. I can see why your husband wants to keep the chevron quilt. It's very pretty. Our son-in-law is from Dusselldorf, Germany. He's been here for 17 years now. Ask many questions as the members of this board are extremely helpful. Videos & You Tube are a quilter's friend & you can learn so much from the internet. Look forward to seeing your work as you make more items/quilts.

Comment

Working...
                              X