Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from South Georgia

Hi,

I am new to quilting and new to sewing altogether. I made boy and girl baby quilts for my neice and nephew. I basically just bought a square ruler and cut out the squares from 4 fabrics and sewed them together the best I knew how. I ended up going to a local seamtress for a lesson on how to sandwich the first quit together. After that I was able to complete them both. I think they turned out pretty good for a beginner.

I sew for a while and then get busy. I got out the sewing machine yesterday and blew the dust off. Maybe I will actually use it for a while this time. I have never ordered from here. I love Moda fabric it is beautiful. I have never actually owned any though. I want to order but not sure what to make first. I want something quick and easy. I have two girls and a baby on the way. So I need to sew now while I can.

Re: Hi from South Georgia

Welcome, Misty! We'd love to see pictures of your quilts!

The MSQC is an awesome place to buy fabric. Have you checked out the tutorials? You might get an idea for a quick and easy block that you could turn into a table runner or make burp cloths for your new baby.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Yes I have been watching the tutorials for, I ashamed to say over a year now off and on. I just can't decide. I love todays daily deal, the Giddy charm pack by Moda, but I don't know what to make with it or what else I would need to order with it to complete a project. I wanted to do something. Small before beginning a baby quilt.

I will try to post some pics of the quilts soon.

I love the Nicie Jane table runner and I bought a tea towel to do the tea towel aprons and haven't done those yet.

Comment

Hi Missy!
        Welcome to the group; would love to see some of the things you've created.
        I am Blondie; from North Carolina - like you, I had been a fan of MSQC tutorials before I jumped in here. Come back often and grow with us.

Blondie
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Welcome. I am from Georgia as well. You will love it here. Have you seen the disappearing nine patch Jenny does? It's really quick and easy. I made a baby quilt and a table runner.
          Patrice

Comment

Ok, so I took the step and ordered I got the Giddy Charm Pack by Sandy Gervais for Moda Fabrics that was on the Daily Deal a few days ago. I also got 1 yard of a reddish color solid. i really didn't know what I would need, or what I was gonna make. Silly me didn't even think about ordering two of the Daily Deal.

I think I want to try a table runner first. One charm pack should be enough for a table runner right. Now any suggestions on what to do. I want to do a little more than just sew the sqaures together. Something that I don't need a pattern for. Something that looks like you might have done a lot of work but its really not. You know one of Jenny's little tricks where she never uses a pattern.

After the table runner I plan to make a baby quilt. I'm trying to decide on making the baby quilt using the Dot to Dot or the Disappearing Nine Patch. Did they ever make a tutorial for the Dot to Dot using the charm packs and layer cakes?

Comment

haven't tried the dot to dot yet. that is on my list of many. I did do the D9 for a baby quilt. turned out so cute. It does have the look that you worked hard on it but yet it is so easy
              Patrice

Comment

Should I post the picture of my quilts ya'll wanted to see. Here as a reply or in the show and tell?

Comment

We'd love to see a picture! You can post it in Show and Tell or here.
                  There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/100_0434.jpg

Trying to add a picture. Maybe it worked.

Comment

Hello,
                      I am new to the site as well. Been looking around the site and there is a lot of information. But most of all I love the support that everyone gives to each other. I think I am going to like it here.

Comment

Newbie here too. The tutorials are how I found the site. They are great. I love the Deals of the Day. I haven't bought any yet--trying to finish some projects first.
                        Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Hi Misty ! So glad you joined us. I would suggest you watch the free tutorials & when you see one that excites you, go for it! The MSQC girls demonstrate the process of patterns with such ease.

Comment

Maybe I should explain the colors in these quilts. I made these for shower gifts before my neice and nephew were born. My brothers family loves hunting, there living room and bedroom are decorated with hunting decor. So thats why both baby quilts have camo in them. Then for the girl quilt I had pink and yellow and then the mustang fabric is because the mom loves mustangs and named the girl Shelby after a shelby mustang.
                            The boy quilt had blue and green and then the tan with fishing/hunting/camping stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X