Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a husband welcome here?

Hi all,

My screen name is Rob the HOAQ, which stands for "Husband of a Quilter." I don't sew (never learned, figure I'm too old to start), but I do appreciate the art of quilting. My late mother was a quilter, so I grew up around it. And, as my name suggests, my wife is as well. I came here looking for a forum where I can talk about things that interest me and learn. I came from another (unnamed) forum where my messages were constantly deleted for pretty arbitrary reasons. My main purpose in joining a forum is to learn things in order to help my wife. We own EQ8, and I have designed a number of quilts that my wife is going to make (one which she has completely pieced). I tell people that my support of Cheryl's quilting is similar to how Winston Churchill described his support of religion. He called himself a "flying buttress" because he supported it from the outside. I want to learn all I can so I can help my wife in whatever way is possible. Plus, I've been watching numerous programs that feature Jenny and her amazing story, and I think I can learn a lot.

So, I'm not sure how much I will participate, but I hope to learn a great deal.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Welcome, Rob, from Colorado. I know of no reason why you would not be welcomed here. Chime in whenever you want to. I hope you find what you're looking for. There are a few men on the Forum, but I'm not sure we've ever had a HOAQ. I think we once had a H/W team, where both of them were quilters.

Comment

Rob you are most welcome here. You may not call yourself a quilter, but it sounds like you are a quilt designer, that in itself is pretty impressive.

Comment

Jenny's hubby is named Ron too. You can catch him in a couple of videos with her.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ew=detail&mid=

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ew=detail&mid=

Welcome from Kauai!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think is so nice to take interest in her interest. Hope you keep us knowing what you both are doing.
          I'm a Kansasan!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

My hubby doesn’t make quilts either, (although he did show me how to sew on his mother’s treadle. ) He is my biggest supporter, likes to go to the fabric store with me, likes to give quilts I make as gifts to people we both care about. We often share what’s new on the forum. So welcome, Rob, and all othe HOAQ’s out there - we couldn’t do it without you!
              sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

EVERYONE is welcome here and I welcome you from Canada. Join us in our daily chats why don't you. Get to know us as we get to know you.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hi and Welcome to Alabama.

My late husband was not a quilter but he supported my obsession with quilting . I look forward to seeing your quilt designs. I hope you will post them. Do you design for the piecing of the quilt or the actual quilting or both?

Comment

Welcome from Ohio. My DH is a great supporter and my color helper too.
                    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                    Aesop

Comment

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

Katrina
                      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome from TX! Great supporters are so needed. My guy totally supports my quilting. It's expensive and time consuming it takes a special man!

Comment

Welcome Rob from another Canadian. You know, its never too late to learn a new skill. I started quilting in 2015 and my husband was interested in the process. So he decided he would take a class. Unfortunately, he would have had to wait until fall, so I taught him what I was learning in my class. He took to it, like fish to water. He had previously repaired sails and trampolines for boat, and learned to hem and repair his pants. (I guess his mom taught him that). He certainly has an interesting approach to sewing.
                          Well he bought his own proper tools and new sewing machine (doesn't like to share mine), and together we took a class to complete a quilt called Gravity by Jaybird Quilts. You can google to see what it looks like. We also took another class to make DaVinci's Optical Illusion quilt. Being beginners, we didn't know that these were intermediate to advance quilts, but we finished them. So while I do quilt a lot faster and more quilts than him, he does enjoy road trips to LQS. He is 76, so never too old. He doesn't however like to participate in forums or guild meetings. Although he has attended a few classes held by the guild.
                          Enjoy the journey.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Welcome!
                            I don't understand why there aren't more guy quilters out there. It involves lots of engineering, geometry, and math as well as machines. Lots of things for guys to love.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I think there are. They just don't have the same social connection need as women. They are the silent quilters.
                              I say that and I know there have been quilt retreats for men at an area getaway. Sadly with Covid, it is closing its doors.

Thanks everyone for the kind, warm welcome. The one thing I've noticed in most, if not all, quilting communities is the kindness and willingness to help that's evident. Cheryl and I have traveled to Paducah for QuiltWeek every year since at least 2008 (this is the first year we've missed, since the pandemic caused the event to be cancelled), and I think one of the funnest things is the people we speak to while eating lunch in the food area. I do have to admit to some trepidation when we go into Hancock's of Paducah, but so far Cheryl hasn't left there leaving us much poorer. Of course, books are my obsession (1,717 and counting), so I don't say too much about her fabric buying. We recently redid her quilting studio, donating 7 13-gallon trash bags of fabric that she decided she would never use to Goodwill, so hopefully someone else will be able to take up the habit. We are now talking about heading out to Hamilton once the pandemic is over and Missouri Star reopens. Believe it or not, I'm actually kind of excited about going.

I've attached a couple of photos showing some of the quilts I have designed. The first is Cheryl with a quilt I called "Green With Envy." It uses Edyta Sitar's "Evergreen" fabric line. It measures 86x86 and she just finished piecing it this weekend. The second is actually the very first quilt I ever designed. i call it "Geese Flying Around the Cabin." We have the fabric for it, but I pretty much defer to Cheryl on what she wants to do next. That shouldn't be a problem, because since I started, I have done about 19 or so quilts.

As for me sewing, I've tried a couple of times and the result would would be like if a dog tried. In fact, I don't know that a dog couldn't do a better job.😀 For now anyway, I think I'll stick to the design and fabric choices.

Thanks again.

Rob
                            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                            --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
                            X