I'm antique but new to quilting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm antique but new to quilting..

here to learn thanks for letting me join. Hi everyone!

sorry I put my introduction in the wrong post...here it is :
    Hi I am new to sewing and have a new Janome MC6650 and would love to learn to quilt. I have spent most of my life in an arena watching my sons play hockey and never had the time to get into sewing. Now they are grown, I have some time for me now although I am antique I am willing to learn. I hope it isn't too late for me. I am from Canada and don't really have access to all the lovely fabric stores so I will need to order online from places that will deliver to Canada. I am eager to learn and get busy..lol..I watched the video on making the Alter Ego...and I already have questions..lol...can I alter this by adding squares to make this big enough for a King size bed? How much more material would I need? I have no idea how you ladies figure all this out..I am hoping I can get this done for Christmas. Thanks for letting me join..I promise not to bug you all too much.

Comment

Welcome from Texas! Bug away! We are not bothered at all over questions. You can always add blocks to make quilts bigger. You can also add borders. I'd have to look at the tutorial to see how much extra fabric. Someone will chime in. Quilting is so addicting, we have several on here from Canada and could probably tell you how to get the most for your buck when online shopping for fabric. Welcome again!!

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've always had the Alter Ego in my to do list. I've just not done it yet!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Hello and Welcome. I'm pretty new here too, not so new to quilting. I haven't heard of the Alter Ego. Going to have to look into that ne.
          Carlie

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. I would add more blocks and borders rather than alter the blocks. Good luck.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Aloha from Kauai! I think the Alter Ego would be pretty easy to add to because of the basic shapes. One thing I have learned about ordering fabric is that it's much easier to hunt down fabric by the yard instead of pre-cuts. Those sell out fast, but the bolts are left alone. lol There are charts for that. I even posted one somewhere if you want me to find it.

Here's a good site for pre-cuts =yardage

https://bearcreekquiltingcompany.com...abric-precuts/
              Last edited by Hulamoon; July 6, 2020, 03:32 PM.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome. if you can find Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day on youtube , you can learn a lot from her. she used to be a teacher and has taught quilting for a few decades!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! ...where it's currently 101 deg.! We're into the hot summer weather. Hey, 63 is young! I'll be 78 this month. There are lots of older folks here on this Forum. You're never too old to learn! I took up quilting in a big way after I retired from nursing 11 yrs. ago. Feel free to ask questions. We'll be glad to help in any way we can.

If you're a brand new quilter, I'd suggest starting on a smaller quilt first just to "get your feet wet" & feel comfortable with the piecing process. There are many helpful videos on YouTube. If there is a local quilt store within driving distance of where you live, it's very helpful to take an in-person beginner's quilting class. Make sure you have all the right tools. Learn to sew a straight 1/4" seam. The sampler quilt we made in my beginner's class was 9 - 12" blocks.

Comment

Welcome from Germany, enjoy your stay and happy quilting

Comment

Welcome from Ohio, USA. I hope you are prepared to be come an addict. Quilting does that to you. LOL. Remember it is fun.
                      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                      Aesop

Comment

Hello Martylise and welcome. I am sure you will enjoy the forum.

The Alter Ego quilt is one of the first quilts I made. It was not difficult, which is what I was looking for since I was new to quilting. I still consider myself new to quilting compared to a lot of the people on the forum and I certainly have a lot to learn. I used two layer cakes and put a small trim around it. It turned out to be 75X92. I attached a picture of it and it is on a queen size bed. Depending on how far you would like to drape it over the edges of the bed will determine how many layer cakes you will need and/or how much border you would like to add. Remember this is a queen size bed not a king size bed. Good luck and have fun.
                        Attached Files
                        Nancy

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                          redcaboose1717 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Very nice quilt NancyH. I love the colors you chose!

I forgot to say there are tons of free quilt blocks out there. quilterscache.com is one of them. she's been around a long time doing this for us all. Enjoy.

Comment

from one Canadian to another Welcome. I am a semi-newbie as well, this is a great place to learn and discuss all things quilty and more!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! So glad to have new members here! And I agree you should just add more rows of blocks if you want to make your quilt bigger. If you mess with the blocks to try tomake bigger blocks than the pattern calls for I think you would be over your head as a beginner. Watch some of Jenny Doan's tutorials. She is fun and breaks things down to make them easy to understand, and you will learn alot of the basics, like how to make seams nest by pressing directionally, and the all important rule all quilt patterns are made with 1/4 inch seams, not 5/8 inches like used in most other types of sewing. Enjoy your new hobby and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Comment

Working...
                            X