Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really Really a newbie to quilting:)

Hi
    My name is Bernice, I have never made a quilt, haven’t used a sewing machine in ages.
    But I have a very lofty dream. I lost my husband of nearly 50 years suddenly. I would love/want to make 5 lap quilts
    from his various pieces of clothing, for our 5 children, for Christmas gifts..told you it was lofty!
    Looking forward to all the help, from you experts

Welcome! I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my husband suddenly two years ago. He was a tee shirt guy, so I never contemplated making a quilt from his collection of shirts.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome, Bernice, from Colorado! I hope you find some helpful info. here. There is so much info. on the internet for quilters of all skill levels. I would recommend watching videos on YouTube. Or taking a beginner's Glen 2-11 021.JPGquilting class at your local quilt store if you are within driving distance of one. I took up quilting after I retired from nursing. I had to practice sewing a straight 1/4" seam, learn the terminology for & the use of all the quilting supplies & tools I'd never used before. We made a sampler in my first class. I really thought some of the blocks were a bit challenging for a new quilter, but I persevered. I had to learn how to use a rotary cutter, etc. The initial cost of supplies can be a crunch on the budget. But I was off & running; I love quilting! I already was familiar with my sewing machine & had sewed for many years. This is a pic of my sampler from 2011. There are pics of the individual blocks in my albums. I still haven't quilted this! It's one of my UFO's. Now that I've learned to FMQ I'll get to it one of these days. I have many finished quilt tops that need to be sandwiched & quilted.

My sympathies on the loss of husband. Happy Quilting!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to agree. If possible, take a class locally, easier said these days. You tube videos for quick ideas.

Welcome from TX. Sorry for your loss. The beginning cost can make your eyes go wide. It's worth it! I always recommend yellow brick road as a beginner project. I've taught many with that pattern. You should be able to get the fat quarter 18x 22 block out of the backs of the shirts. Hope that helps! Good luck on your quilting journey.

Comment

Welcome and good luck on your journey. I have sewn since my childhood and didn't start quilting until maybe 6 years ago. Watched you tube videos, read library books on the topic, etc. You will do great. But I agree with everyone, the initial outlay of expenses can be shocking. We are all here to help and support each other.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Sorry for your loss. I'm in complete agreement with the others. The initial cost can be quite shocking. I would also watch you tube videos. If you have questions just ask here. I'm relatively new to this forum and the people here have been tremendously helpful.
          Carlie

Comment

for Sandra.JPGyou can make quilts of squares and get great looking quilts. take your time and have loads of fun. We are here if you need us. Welcome.

Comment

I am sorry about the loss of your husband and so sweet of you to want tomake memory quilts from his shirts. Welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! We are here to help you with anything you need. I suggest starting by going to You Tube and type into the search box "make quilt from mens shirts." There's a couple different videos that look like they would be useful. I think a quilt from mens collared shirts would be easier for a beginner than one from t-shirts. T-shirts are kind of stretchy and need stabilizer on the back of the cut piece, and when you center the logo off the front of the t-shirts the squares can wind up being slightly different sizes and that can be a challenge to put together. Collar shirts are usually cotton or cotton poly blends so easier to cut into squares of same size and therefore easier to sew together, plus no stabilizer needed. Also check Pinterest for ideas. You can do it!

Comment

Welcome to the forum from a Missouri. I’m sorry for your loss. I was widowed several years ago. Having sewing to work on will be a blessing for you. If you have questions you can ask them here on the forum. Be sure to watch Jenny’s tutorials. Good luck with your quilting journey.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome here, I'm sorry for your loss, too. Hope you enjoy your new hobby, if you have some questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
                  X