Hello from Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Germany

Hello, my name is Peggy. I'm 66 years old, retired but still work 2 days a week in an office. We are living 65 km western from Berlin in a small village at a lake. My husband is 10 years younger and works as a policeman in Berlin Spandau, he is my very first hobby 😁, I'm married second time and we are still happy with each other after more than 31 years. We have 4 children 43 - 31 years old -first 3 are from first hubby-, 6 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. I'm in patchwork and quilting since about 25 years. I'm active in a patchwork group in a town near by, Rathenow, and I run a patchwork class in our village.
    Next to patchwork I'm in sewing historical costumes from 1860 to 1900, reading, gardening, sport, I play the Punch and Judy Show and Toytheater. In our vacation we go with our caravan and my sewing machine is always by my side 😀
    Hope to have a great time here.

Welcome, Peggy. What interesting hobbies you have, starting with your husband! I am stitching a recreation of a Smithsonian musuem piece of some Berlin wool work from 1878 and it has a Punch and Judy show in the piece. I am interested in historical costumes too although I am not skilled enough to sew them. If you have any photos to share I'd love to see them.

Kim in Iowa

Comment

Hallo from Texas. I lived in Herbersberg in 2011-2014 and loved it!!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado. We are just a little east of the Rocky Mountains. Visited your beautiful country back in the ‘80’s. Lovely country. Enjoy the folks here and the lessons from Jenny and her crew.

Comment

Welcome from Sunny Florida. I hope you'll enjoy your time with us.
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Hi there, thank you all for your friendly respond, yes, I hope I will have a good time with you guys.
            kimsophia, I will try my very best to find out how to load up some pics from my costumes, there are only 20 or so 😉

Comment

Hi there BeaPeg! I also would love to see photos of your costumes!

Comment

Welcome from another Coloradoan. DH was stationed at Kaiserslautern (sp?) when he was there during the '60's. He was a medic & worked at the that large military hosp. there. He drove an ambulance, so he has many stories of his time there. Many of them unpleasant. Happy Quilting!

Comment

Thank you girls for the warm welcome. Have to see how fast I can find a way to place the photos.
                  So many soldiers from U.S., Britain and France we also had have in West-Berlin, we lived in the British Sector. In 1961, going over the headquarter, my parents invited a soldier for Christmas. Colin from near Bedford came along and a life long friendship started. Sorrowfully in January I had to go to his funeral.

Comment

Hi, Bea!! Welcome from Idaho in Great Northwest. I saw your projects before I welcomed you and your body of work is very impressive! So glad you joined us.... My family is from Germany, Regansburg area...have never visited but it's a goal to travel there.
                    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• BeaPeg
                      BeaPeg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Teen, I'v never been in Regensburg, but I know there is a nice historical center in town

WELCOME!! Montana here! Love that you sew costumes, I did much the same when I played in a medieval reenactment type group. Was fun, but I'm too old to pitch a tent anymore! LOL..can't wait to see your work..again..WELCOME!

Sage..crone of needing a vardo!
                    😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

Hallo Peggy! Willkommen Michigan im MSQC Forum !!
                      Mein Mann war in der US-Armee und war dort von 1972 bis 1975 stationiert. Wir haben 1974 geheiratet und ich habe 14 Monate in der Kaserne in Münster bei Dieburg gelebt. Ich habe es geliebt, dort zu leben. Das Essen, die Feste, die Geschäfte usw. In der kleinen Stadt, in der wir lebten (Münster), befand sich ein riesiges Storchennest auf einer alten Kirche, ungefähr eine Meile von unserem Wohnhaus entfernt. Wir gingen die ganze Zeit an der Kirche vorbei.
                      Mein Traum ist es, eines Tages wieder nach Münster b Dieburg zu fahren.
                      Willkommen bei MSQC (Missouri Star Quilt Company!)

Hello Peggy! Welcome Michigan to MSQC's Forum!!
                      My husband was in the US Army, and was stationed there from 1972 to 1975. We married in 1974, and I spent 14 months living off the Kaserne (Base) in Munster b Dieburg, Germany. I loved living there. The food, the festivals, the shops, etc. In the small town we lived in (Munster) there was a huge Stork's Nest on top of a old Church about a mile from our apartment building was. We used to pass the Church all the time.
                      My dream is to go back one day to see Munster b Dieburg once again.
                      Welcome to MSQC (Missouri Star Quilt Company!)

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Hello SagedCrone, thank you to welcome me, thankfully we didn't used tent for his reenactment, we stay in castle or palace hotels or smaller in manors somewhere in the country.
                        Hello redcaboose1717, thank you to welcome me, too. Are you native from Germany??? Your German is pretty good. We are living in the
                        nature reserve "West Havelland" the Havel is a river what comes from north of Berlin runs south and through the city, after touching Potsdam it change direction and goes on back north and on it's way to met the river Elbe it's coming across here. So we have plenty of water and fields all around and in many villages stork's are nesting.

Have a good time both.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                          redcaboose1717 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No, I'm from the US. My husband was stationed near Frankfurt in a small town called Munster b Dieburg/Hesse. We married in 1974 and I spent almost 18-19 months over there living in the High Rise Apartments (they are condos now) on Geothenstrasse. Our apartment was on the 8th floor, and right across the street from one of the huge Soccer Fields in Munster. Due to learning German pretty easily (thanks to the lady that lived on the 6th floor that was the apartment building manager) and because we didn't have a car while we were stationed in Munster, the GI's that did have cars took us with them when they went to different cities because it was easier for everyone because I spoke the language pretty well, and looked like I was a native German (Blonde hair, etc.)

Nein, ich komme aus den USA. Mein Mann war in der Nähe von Frankfurt in einer kleinen Stadt namens Münster b Dieburg / Hessen stationiert. Wir haben 1974 geheiratet und ich habe dort fast 18 bis 19 Monate in den High Rise Apartments (sie sind jetzt Eigentumswohnungen) in der Geothenstraße verbracht. Unsere Wohnung befand sich im 8. Stock und direkt gegenüber von einem der riesigen Fußballfelder in Münster. Da wir ziemlich leicht Deutsch lernen konnten (dank der Dame, die im 6. Stock wohnte, war die Hausverwalterin) und weil wir während unserer Stationierung in Münster kein Auto hatten, nahmen uns die GIs mit, die Autos hatten als sie in verschiedene Städte gingen, weil es für alle einfacher war, weil ich die Sprache ziemlich gut sprach und aussah, als wäre ich ein deutscher Muttersprachler (blondes Haar usw.)
                          Mein Mann war bei der 545. Ordinance Company in Münster stationiert. Ich habe es geliebt, dort zu leben und würde gerne eines Tages zurückkehren!

Welcome Peggy from New York. My father was born in Germany so I am first generation on his side here in the U.S. He came here when he was 8 years old a few years after WWI. Other than when he was in the army in WWII, he never did go back to visit although my grandmother did go back at least once that I know of. We have quite a few pictures from "the old country" as he used to say. I know my grandmother's family was from Halle Salle (or the area around there) because we have some letters and postcards to them from there. Of course, I can't read them but the handwriting is beautiful! There is also mention of Hanover but I am not really sure if that is where my grandfather was from. I did speak German when I was a little girl and my grandparents were alive but after they passed, my dad didn't speak German to me much so sadly, I cannot speak it now. I can pick up words here or there.

Again, welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy it here. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Ginny
                        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                          redcaboose1717 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ginny, I remember when first marrying and moving to Germany, at first I learned enough German to go to the store, count money, etc. One day I went to the apartment manager's apartment on the 6th floor to borrow the vacuum cleaner (Staubsauger) and when the manager (she was such a sweet gal) told me that if I would like to teach her more English, she'd love teaching me German and that began a really nice friendship. She took me to the stores, etc. Back when we lived in Germany I wore soft contacts (still do) and you had this little machine you put distilled water in to "boil" or clean the contacts....(they have manufactured solutions to do this now) and I needed Distilled Water, and couldn't find it in any store there! By talking to the apartment manager using a translation dictionary...(.no internet at the time) She told me I needed to go to a Pharmacy to buy the Distilled Water, which came in Green Glass bottle (like the Perrier Water that you purchase here in the states??) WOW....anyway, it took me a few months of course, but soon I was really pleased that I had learned enough German so that we could travel without too much trouble. When my hubby's G I friends learned that I could speak the language better than they could, most of the married couples would ask us to go with them while they toured around Germany. I even studied and PASSED the German Driver's Test the FIRST time....which is a BIG deal over in Germany for an American to do. Most of the GI wives that took the test failed it at least twice.
                          As I mentioned in a comment to BeaPeg, my learning German really opened a lot of doors for us over there. I'm sure we would have traveled some while there, but not to the extent we did.
                          I had been making plans to return to the Frankfurt area this summer before the COVID-19 issue....now, I'm not so sure if I will ever get the chance to go back to Germany. What, with my health issues, it probably wouldn't be a good thing to go over to Germany now. Maybe in a couple of years? Hope so!

Hello Ginny, nice to meet you, Halle is around 2 h to go from us and I only now it by going across on the motorway. In Hannover I've been more often, our oldest son lived there until he moved a bit outside in a smaller village, he is a fireman at the fire brigade in Hannover.
                        I was making some family search a few years ago, but I found nobody who moved out of Germany, no rich uncle in America 😀

Have a nice weekend

Comment

Working...
                        X