Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Michigan!

Greetings all,
    I am new to quilting and super excited to dive in. I was making masks with my grandmother's Singer Stylist 457 and decided to buy a new machine. After some research and help from our local sewing center, I settled on the Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 and I'm pretty happy so far with the exception of a little thread bunching I am getting at the bottom of the beginning of every seam (see pic below). If anyone has any advice for me on this, I would appreciate it!

IMG_0915.HEIC.jpeg

Welcome from El Paso Texas! Not sure since it's at the end. What are you doing at the end that's different? Back stitching? It doesn't look like your not sewing off the edge of the fabric. I usually see off the edge and back stitch if needed. Hope that helps!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! I lived in MI for 15 of my growing up years. I attended 1 yr. of HS & 1 yr. of jr. college at Spring Arbor; now it's a university. I haven't been back since my 10 yr. class reunion.

My only suggestion on your stitching is to make sure you pull your thread straight back from the presser foot when you start to sew. Are you using a scrap of fabric as a leader? It's not something to stress about; no one will see those threads inside the quilt.

Congrats. on the new machine. Welcome to the world of quilting. In addition to Jenny's tutorials, there are many others out there on the web. I enjoy Donna Jordan's videos as well as others.

Comment

Welcome from Michigan!
        I can't answer your question about your sewing machine issue! Sorry
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Hello from Southern California!

I have the same problem with the beginning of my seams. I now use a small piece of folded (called a Starty/Stoppy) over fabric to start my seams so that the thread nest is there. I let the machine sew over the Starty/Stoppy and then keep sewing straight onto my quilt seam. It's sort of like chain piecing, but you throw the Starty/Stoppy away!

This is the only way I've been able to solve this problem. It isn't helping as I'm making masks because I'm not always starting on an edge. So I'm going to implement JCY's suggestion. I'll post if that works!
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            I use that starting fabric multiple times until it gets too full.

Welcome! I'm new here as well!

Another solution that may work for you is to be sure to hold the thread at the beginning for a couple of stitches. Sometimes, the feed dogs will attempt to pull the thread slack when the bottom thread loops the first stitch.
          "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. Glad you joined us.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from Southern California. I use a tiny scrap fabric piece as a leader too and often use one at the end and sew over it.. snip your sewing fabric piece away from it and your next leader is already loaded. When having to start somewhere not in the beginning I often take the threads and pull them to the side and hold for a stitch or two, do this when I top stitching around the fabric memory tiles. I have noticed also that if my needle is getting dull, it and my thread go to war with each other.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! What an awesome group you are : )

Comment

Welcome, neighbor, from Ohio. Glad you jumped right in with a question. As you can see, many here are able to come up with solutions. Enjoy that new machine!
                  No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                  Aesop

Comment

welcome to the forum from UK👋😁
                    bring the bottom thread up through the first fabric unit like you do when starting to quilt then chain piece doing leaders and enders, (link to the explanation will need to page down)

Comment

Hello almost neighbor and Welcome from Wisconsin! Have fun making masks and lots of other pretty things with your new machine. My advice same: Hold your threads for a few stitches or use a little starter patch.

Comment

Looks like you are not pulling up your bobbin thread with the first stitch and then locking it. Here's a video which describes the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDERq4I7l-Q
                        Some folks use leaders (small pieces of fabric before you start stitching on your quilt pieces) and also enders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVoVnsleXfE
                        This video might be interesting for you, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIGaKecQ-kM
                        She calls the needles cheater needles, they are more often referred to as self threading needles.
                        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

HEELLLLOOOO over there! Montana here, glad you found us and congrats on the new machine. I'm also in the market for a new machine, but seems everywhere is sold out. Many sewists jumped on the masks band wagon and bought new machines to help that along..and it's wonderful.
                          I'm with everyone else as far as the issue you're having..use a leader/ender or hold your threads behind the presser foot for your first few stitches should solve the problem. Although, seems with a brand new machine you shouldn't have that issue. Perhaps it's a matter of types of thread, or needle. Sometimes machines are picky as well all know. Check too, to make sure your needle is all the way up into it's slot on the pressure bar. GOOD LUCk and let us know if you solve the problem!
                          Again..welcome!

Sage..crone of sold out machine searches
                          😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

I believe it is probably due to not pulling up the bobbin thread when started to sew. Machines that cut thread automatically will start out with a nest if you don't pull the bobbin thread up before starting. This can be helped by using a small piece of fabric when starting a seam. I am sorry to say I usually just let it nest because pulling up the bobbin thread every few stitches when starting a new piece or changing position is way more work than I want to put in to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X