Hello from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Minnesota

i just found this forum and am so glad that I did. I started quilting back in the early 90's but have not had the time in the last 10 years to do much so am still rather new to some things. I retired a year ago and am now getting a lot more time to get some quilting done. I even completed a quilt for each of my 5 grandkids for Christmas gifts, although one was already pieced, just needed to be quilted and I had that done professionally.

A quesion for the forum, what do you find is the best tool to use for marking your quilt for hand quilting? I've read that the pounce item doesn't wash out at times so I don't want to take that chance. I have the Frixion markers but I don't know if that would be a good option. Would you just use the pencil markers? The quilt that I'm working on is a chimney and cornerstones. Colors are maroon, limey green and gold cornerstones. I know it sounds weird but it looks amazing. It is for my daughter and son-in-law for their 20th anniversary. I plan to hand quilt using a heart motif but not sure what I should use. I thought of having it done professionally because it is quite large, 98 x 104 and so cannot do it on my sewing machine.

Thanks for for any input.

Carlie
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Carlie

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado. An unusual mix of colors in your quilt, but it's striking. I don't hand quilt, so I probably am not much help. On the dark colors, you probably could use the white Clover pen. It brushes/wipes off. You don't mention if the fabrics are batiks. I've heard Frixion pens are not advised on batik fabrics. Although I've never used it, a pounce pad & chalk might work for the dark color. I have a quilting friend who uses pencil, just very lightly applied. She hand quilts. I still use Frixion pens, but I make only small tick marks for reference. I FMQ on a table LA. If you can afford it, you may want to have it professionally quilted.

Comment

Colors represent my daughter' s favorite color, green, my son-in-law's favorite color, maroon (for the Minnesota Gophers) and gold representing the "home fires". Unfortunately having it done professionally isn't going to be an option. I would prefer it but the one I had done for Christmas was a little smaller and cost almost $200. The fabrics are not batik so hopefully I won't run into any problems. Thanks for your help.
      Carlie

Comment

Welcome to the forum 👋

Comment

I've hand quilted a few quilts and I used a dress makers pencil. Not sure what they are called. Mine is gray and used by seamstresses to mark fabric for patterns. It washed out just fine. Hope that helps and welcome from Texas!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I don't hand quilt but sometimes I mark my quilts. If you use the Pounce pad, you need to read instructions for each colour. Forget which one comes off with iron, while other colour that would make it permanent. Some you brush off. I have used a tailors chalk to mark as well as different white marking pencils.

Beautiful quilt. Since its their colour choices, they are going to love it. Missing grandkids is common theme, but if we get creative it can happen.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean about getting big quilts professionally done! It can cost more than the fabric for the quilt!
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Thank you all. This helps a lot. I have some tailor's chalk (I believe it was actually my grandmothers!) and some chalk type pencils. I saw posted elsewhere about the Crayola ultra fine markers that sounds like a great idea, too. I will be looking into the pounce a little further.
                Carlie

Comment

Working...
                X