Semi newbie..long post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi newbie..long post

Can you be a semi newbie?? LOL HI!! Name I go by round here (being the internets) is "Sage"..(the crone)
    I've been quilting, crafting and sewing all my life (the life part tossed in for good measure!) Here's how I'm a semi newbie. I signed up here years ago, visited when I could between those good measures of life and somewhere, I got lost in the process. I think I may be back.

I love to quilt, I follow Jenny to the point I could almost be a stalker (just kidding) but I do try to watch all her videos...more than once, Have made many of her designs/patterns and she has taught me to love to quilt more than the other crafts that I do. I machine piece and a hand quilt, although I'm venturing into machine quilting a bit. MSQCo has earned a lot of my previous paychecks..lol...but I've made one or two quilts for my grands (I have 4 two of each) and my kids (I have 2, 1 of each) and have a few stray tops around as well..(you know, those ones you do but don't like..so you hide in a box in hopes that one day you will pull them out and miraculously love them..not happened yet) So..Things have settled in one way with life and not with another.

I'm doing it backwards..instead of 'good, bad and ugly'..it's the ugly, the good and the bad.

Here's the lowdown ugly truth.
    Just a year back, I was a homeowner living in SC in the middle of a divorce and house renovations (yep..doing it alone). somewhere in my mind, probably while swinging a hammer..a voice said "You don't need this..you need to go now..move, sell it and move!" And..that's what I did. I made a phone call to my son (who lives in Montana) and asked 'Can I move in'? Him and my DIL said yes and it's been a ride since then. Within the next 4 months, I finished the house renovations, packed up what I wanted to keep, sold everything else, rented a uhaul, loaded it with everything I owned and my 2 German Shepherds and hit the road on Sept 3rd to make a delivery to Montana. (after dumping all my stuff including my pups) I returned to SC, one week later, gave my good state job my notice (was I crazy!?), sold my house, packed my Subaru and headed north to visit family for 30 days on my way west to my new home in Montana..new home being my sons house. My plans?? To sit on the porch in my rocking chair and quilt. From SC, to VA to PA and onward to MT, here I am..I've been here since Dec 20 and here I will stay. At the end of January I bought a very small 10 yr old travel trailer which I have gutted and am working very slowly on to make it mine. It will be my new living space that I take with me as I visit between my two kids, from MT to PA. Single and loving it..working when I want to..and eventually..to be a traveling quilter..LOL That was it.. That's the down and dirty. (Oh..I'm 59 this year)

The good..I'm getting more sewing/quilting done for several reasons..the virus and where I live..life has slowed down for me to a pace I'm completely unaccustomed to. But..I'll figure it out in the end I hope. What with the remnants of my life (and my craft stuff) in boxes in my sons garage..I'll figure it out. We always do.

The bad...I cannot tell you why my heart and head was so insistent that day to tell me to MOVE!..(August 2019) but go I did. It was just 2 weeks after I got here, that Coronavirus became a pandemic. Montana is one of the least hit states and I am a true believer that something led me here when it did. (I do have some health issues..all lung and heart related), but the bad of it is..I hate seeing this happen, I hope we all stay safe, but for some reason, I feel if I hadn't moved with the quickness in which I did, my lot in life would have been different.

Happy thread trails and tails!
    Sage
    😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Hi Sage and welcome back!! You are one gutsy lady! Most people in your shoes would only fantasize about chucking it all and moving cross country but you did it! Congratulations! Once that trailer gets all fixed up like a cute little Tiny House you will be living The Dream. I am glad everything worked out for you.

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      It'll be a tight fit since I plan on building it around my sewing and a some stash! LOL..it will be a long process, and lots of work, but I'm trying my best to enjoy it.

Hi there Sage, welcome and happy trails.

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome back, Sage!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome back....of course you can be a "Semi-Newbie"....
        It's wonderful to here that you are in a state that hasn't been seriously impacted by COVID-19!!!
        WOW.....When you start redoing your trailer.....post photos please! I have thought about buying an older trailer and doing the same thing!!
        Again, welcome back Sage!

Camping Trailer.jpg
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• SagedCrone
          SagedCrone commented
          Editing a comment
          I have started ..first by doing a complete gut on it. (now to figure out where to put things back that will give me the most usable room for sewing and living..I will post some pics when I can!

Hi Sage
        welcome to the forum, gosh that is some change, also a great believer in following the gut instinct.
        The trailer sounds an interesting project, are you going solar for power?
        look forward to chatting more.
        T

Comment

• SagedCrone
          SagedCrone commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes..it was a change, and I almost had to convince my head to listen to my gut, I gave it a pep talk..like "your divorced now..you have nothing in SC..your family is in VA, your kids are in MT and PA..what the hell are you doing in SC, especially since you HATE heat!"..and finally my brain was sure. Each step though was..nerve racking only cause I couldn't believe I was doing it! And yes, I'm going full on solar (along with a few other options..my stove and heat and hot water are propane, but everything else will be electric as well as another heat source. )

Good for you! I have done the same in remolding my 100 yr. + house, from plumbing to building cabinets. It does get a little harder as one ages!! I no longer get on my knees for anything, well …. maybe for money! I love Montana, I miss the mountains so much!
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• SagedCrone
          SagedCrone commented
          Editing a comment
          It's WAY harder..near impossible. Since two knee surgeries (on just last summer) there are days that the most I do is hobble to the bathroom! (now..that's sad aint it?lol) But..try to take it with a grain of salt and keep on trucking. On those days I just throw my hands up, go back to my room (where I do my sewing) and find something creatively constructive to do. I may come to you with panic questions for my travel trailer!
          Last edited by SagedCrone; April 22, 2020, 09:40 AM.

Welcome from Wisconsin, looking forward to seeing more of your adventures and quilts!!!

Comment

Welcome back Sage. Wow, what an adventure. Can't wait to see what you do with the trailer and join you on your quilting journey.
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Sage, what an adventure you have been on. Best of luck and good wishes for your continued happiness. Hope to see pictures of your "new home".
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Welcome Sage from Canada. That is quite the adventure, but I think for once in your life, you were not restricted by another person. Following your heart and whatever feels right is never wrong.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Kudos to you for having the courage to follow your heart. You are a good writer. I look forward to hearing about your adventures. Welcome back.

Comment

Working...
                X