Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member! And a question about squaring up blocks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member! And a question about squaring up blocks.

I'm new to piecing/quilting, improving everyday.
    I just finished the nine blocks of the Stretched Periwinkle quilt. The points came out great! Now I want to square the blocks before sewing rows. They are big blocks, should be 19.5 inches. What is the best way to square up such big blocks? The blocks have four pieces that meet in the middle.

I find it easier to square as I go on really large blocks like you're talking about. Final squaring usually doesn't take too much lining it up on the big cutting mat and long ruler.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      By the way, welcome to the bunch! I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! Well I don't have a square ruler that big!! My biggest is a CG 12 inch. What I would do is find the center and square up half at a time, or for your block, 9.75 inches. I never use the markings on my mat except to square an edge before making first cut or trimming selvedges. I am more of a ruler person. I like to use those diagonal lines to line up my corners, and you can see your whole block through it before you cut.

Comment

I haven't seen the block but always remember if you have points make sure there's 1/4" between the point and the edge of the block not to lose them. I have a twenty four inch ruler I would use that to square up. that's what I use after quilting quilts to square them. Pick a point the all four sides share and make sure it's lined up with the ruler the same. Hard to explain but if you watch a video of a quilt being squared up after quilting before the binding goes on you'd see it's easier then it sounds. If you have a smaller ruler go up to the point of your ruler and scoot up. Good luck! this forum is great and welcome!

Comment

Post pics of your finished project. In the future, by all means square up each block as you go to make sure they're all the same size. It can save you frustration later on.

Comment

Working...
        X