Newbie intro and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie intro and question

Hi Everyone I am new to this forum. Not sure where to post. I am from a suburb of St. Paul Minnesota. I have been quilting on and off for many years and still consider myself a newbie. I mostly pieced by hand which I love and then bought a entry level machine. Iā€™m not too great at that yet but am learning. I am wondering what machine anyone would recommend for a middle of the road not fancy quilter? I hope this was the right place to post. Thank you for having me on this forum!

Welcome to the forum! We just had a couple of threads on new machines. I'll post them here and maybe ask questions in one of those.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...ewing-machines

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...dations-please

It's hard to say what is middle of the road. People upgrading all the time.
    šŸŒŗ Lorie

Comment

Please clarify if you are looking for a better quality domestic sewing machine or a quilting machine.

My LQS sells only Baby Lock. I have a Viking Opal 670, which I purchased from the previous owner. At the time it cost $750. I traded in my old DSM for it. I don't know if Vikings are available new anymore--possibly used. The quality has changed of recent years, I've heard, & parts are hard to get. It's possible to do straight line quilting with a walking foot & even free motion quilting with a DSM. If you're still getting used to your sewing machine, I would wait to even consider a quilting machine.

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado.

Comment

Welcome from the Basque Country

Comment

Hello and Welcome from northern California šŸ˜Š

Jeannette

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Canada. If you are looking for a machine for quilting, I would recommend that you choose one with the widest harp available, in the event that you quilt on it. For quilting, you don't need fancy stitches or embroidery unless that's the direction that you want to go in. My preference is for Husquarvana. My daughter has had hers 25+ years and sews like a charm. I have the Sapphire, and I purchased another one like my daughters on-line for GKs. I also inherited my GFs 40+ year old one. They work like a breeze. Pt here are self-lubricating machines, so no need to oil. I clean by removing dust and fibres, that's it. My husband also sees and he's a Pfaff guy. He has a regular one and embroidery machine which I use for labels.

We we also have a HQ Sweet 16, which we use to finish our quilts.

I suggest that that you buy the best machine for the money you want to spend. Good luck.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I had a Husquarvana too and it was my favorite machine. It did the best satin stich when I was doing a lot of applique. I then got a Babylock and after I had it I wished I didn't. Maybe the wrong model, but we didn't get along, if that's possible. lol So now I have a New Pfaff and I couldn't be happier. I love her.

So I would go testing if that's possible. Where I live they carry
              Husquarvana, Babylock, Pfaff, Singer, Juki, Brother .It's sort of overwhelming. So like Suzanne said, buy the best you can afford or buy the best used machine at a dealer. Sometimes used machines weren't owned but a floor model where the dealer uses it as a test machine. Very few hours or use on it.Good Luck!
              šŸŒŗ Lorie

Comment

Welcome to the forum,
                buy the machine for the sew person you want to be, not the skill set at the moment.
                yes agree with Suzanne harp is important above 7", so is threading the needle, some have a needle threader, some machines can be used without a throttle foot pedal, some have a throttle foot pedals that can be set to make life easier, some have a lever to lift presser foot (knee lift) some cut the thread for you.
                any machine that can offer the functionality you need or want, affordable to you, even pre-owned.
                there are many brands and many prices here is one for the dedicated sew person https://new.elna.com/us/en/models/ex...llence-720pro/
                a table that allows quilt to flow over sewing bed making all flat surface also will make life easier. there are a few Ikea hacks.
                just to put all in perspective am happy with treadling on a straight stitch machine.
                enjoy your research.šŸ˜
                T

Comment

Welcome from Alabama

Comment

Well, howdy, neighbor, and welcome to the forum! I live in Eagan.

Comment

Working...
                    X