New here, but not to quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, but not to quilting

Hello, from southern Arizona. I was born and raised in western Montana, but have been here nearly 12 years after moving to be closer to my elderly parents. I never intended to stay here permanently... swore on a stack of bibles I would NEVER live in this state when visiting them. Never say never, I guess, is a truth. I would so like to be elsewhere, but I didn't move on fast enough! I have lived many places over the years, all were green! I miss pine and fir trees, lakes, rivers, tall, rugged mountains, grass... rain doesn't even smell fresh. It's musty, like wet clay. However, all bets are off now. My son & dtr-in-law (she was raised here and both of them went to college here) moved back to the Phoenix area late last year. Her family lives in AZ also, so somehow I'm feeling I'm probably just plain stuck here now. We "parents" are all young, healthy, active and still have all our brain cells functioning, but we are also in our early 70's. I secretly think they moved here to round-up and corral all of us into one area so they can keep an eye on us! 🤔 Truth? Who knows! LOL.
    So, now I'm here at this Forum. I stumbled across it browsing the MS Quilt Co. website yesterday. I've kind of hit a wall with my quilting... started three or four projects, never got them even close to done or in some cases even got all of the blocks pieced. Colors wrong, hated them, pattern was nuts... good grief. Guess I'm just hoping for some inspiration to start moving forward again, associate with others who quilt and may also have gone through "stuck" times. Our quilt shop closed a couple years ago, so we lost a fun "social" group that was enjoyable and always there to help us. Not to mention I could see and feel the fabric... hard to do on the laptop. Colors are not always what they seem! haha.

Welcome, Arizona Gal ~ ... from Colorado. There are many of us here in our 70's, but I'm not quite as young as you are. I think you can be thankful you have family close by. It's a blessing as one gets older & possibly needs more help. I'm sure I would miss the green, too. I used to live on the OR coast, so I miss the ocean, but the Rocky Mts. sort of make up for it. Hope you get your mojo back soon with the quilting. Most of us have a few, or maybe many, UFOs, so join the club. I think you'll like it here. Maybe you'll get the inspiration you need to get back at the piecing & quilting.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, JCY! I Iived in Lakewood, Co for eleven years, one of my favorite places. I could easily settle back there again, but no one there anymore to make that reasonable. I moved here to AZ from the Puget Sound area, an hour south of Seattle... depending on traffic! Spent a lot of time in OR on the coast also. No family there now either. So it goes!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum. Yup, most of us have plenty of “UFO’s. Some take those “ugly ducklings” and use them on pillows, hot pads, bag sides, mug rugs, etc. they can even be used on backs of quilts. Or the nearby trash can if you have to.

For those of us in snow country, Arizona might sound great in the middle of winter.....so there’s always a silver lining to every place we live.

Lots of inspiration, encouragement here.....enjoy your journey.....warning.....it can....will be addictive, and we really don’t care!
        💫 Star lover

Comment

Welcome to the forum fro Missouri. You will find a nice sisterhood of quilters here. Don’t worry about your UFOs. Start a project with fabric you love and take the plunge. Be sure to watch Jenny’s tutorials for ideas and inspiration.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from SW Ohio. Our boys in southern states don't understand why we insist in living up north. We love the changing seasons and it gives them a chance to come visit us when it gets too hot down south. HaHaHa.
            You will find lots of support here and answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

Welcome ArizonaGal from the suburbs of Canada's capital. While I dream of more moderate climates, our lives and family are all here, including mom, kids and GKs. I would miss the trees and changing seasons, especially winter and humid summers as this provides a lot of quilting time.

There's a group 2020 Fantastic finishing group. - you list your Ufos and hopeful projects. It provides motivation to get them done.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
              X