Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I love making jelly roll race quilts, so I've been dubbed the Jelly Roll Queen by someone on this forum.
    Don't forget your other nickname, "Chuck Norris" Jean puts her quilts together so quickly that I've come to the conclusion that she is NOT Jean, but is in fact Chuck Norris. She doesn't have to sew or quilt, she just takes one menacing look at her stash and all of the fabrics stitch themselves together out of fear

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
    There's such a thing as the universal language.
    You mean money? Nah, don't have enough of that to get me very far either lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Comment

Hi my name is Monique and I live in a tiny little village in the province of Quebec, Canada where everyone knows your name. I have been married for 31 years. I have two sons, aged 28 and 25 both married to wonderful women. I have one natural granddaughter, almost 3 and one already-made almost 10. I came here by way of Jenny, like most of you, when I did not know how to bind a quilt. My first real quilt was started with a magazine that I liked at the time. Once I got the top put together I went to see a neighbour of ours who just turned 104 in December, and asked her to show me what to do with this quilt. She helped me set it up at my mother's at the time and the three of us hand quilted. It did not take long to do. Mother did not quilt much as she had once been told she was no good at it. I got it home and bound but did not do such a terrific job. As soon as Philip found out that Oma had helped me quilt it, he claimed it for his own. That was in 2007. I just repaired it not too long ago (I used whatever fabric I had here at the time). That is when I searched the internet for help with binding. I came upon Jenny's tutorial and found that I could do it after all. Took a lot of practice but I don't have to watch her video any more. LOL!! I joined here and have not looked back. I have met such wonderful and helpful people. (I missed the drama too from the other day). I have made friends here from all walks of life, from near and some very far reaching places.

I can get pretty long-winded as you can tell. I hope all you newbies enjoy here as much as I do. Take a minute to say hello once in a while and please don't be strangers.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hiiii Everyone......I guess I'm up next!

Hi, I'm Judy and I'll warn you in advance, I love to talk. I just had my 68th birthday and I've been married to my first and last love for 52 years. We have been blessed with two daughters, one son, two sons in law and one daughter in law. They've doubly blessed us with two wonderful granddaughters, two amazing grandsons and the most gorgeous, wonderful, talented, handsome, sweet, brilliant (well you get the idea) great-grandson in the world. We are expecting a new grandbaby in the fall.

DH was in the Air Force for 26 years and we were lucky enough to spend 10 of those years in Hawaii. The rest were spent in North Carolina and California. We are both retired now and live in central California about 45 minutes from our son, DIL and two of our precious grandchildren. We spend as much time as we can visiting the rest of our family, moved to Alabama several years ago.

My maternal grandmother was a quilter, but more out of necessity than enjoyment. Most of her quilts were tied, but I remember as a small child, going with her to her church's sewing circle. I was fascinated by all of the tiny stitches those ladies made as we children ran around and got in their way. Mother was an amazing seamstress, quilter, gardener and cook. She taught me to sew when I was a teenager and I made clothes for myself, my children and grandchildren for lots of years. I remember when our daughters were young... maybe 4 and 6 years old... I could make their dresses using only 1 yard of fabric. I even made their pajamas and loved every minute of it.

When my daughters moved to Alabama, they became interested in quilting and tried to entice me to join them during my visits. I admired their quilts but for some reason (now I have no idea what that reason was) I just wasn't interested. On my 65th birthday, I opened the box they'd sent and found a rotary cutter, cutting mat, ruler, a copy of Pam and Nicky Lintott's book.. Jelly Roll Quilts.....and about 9 yards of really pretty lavender, green, and cream fabric. I admired it and put it in the closet... still not really excited about quilting. After a few days, I felt guilty, so i read the book and looked online for quilt patterns. That afternoon, I found Jenny's tutorials and the Missouri Star Quilt Companies website. The rest, as they say ... is history. I've made more than 20 quilts.... 10 or so table runners.... many totes.... and pin cushions etc. My hubby still says that gift the 'girls' gave me has cost him a small fortune. I have a new Baby Lock... and 2 closets full of fabric. He goes shopping with me... and is very proud of anything I made. As I said in the beginning, I've been very blessed.

My first quilt was from the Jelly Roll Quilts book and the pattern is called Sparkling Gems ( I think). The sashing was supposed to be 2 1/2" wide and my blocks were so wonky... I had to trim them down to about 1 1/2" just to get them to fit together. I stuffed that quilt in a drawer. I watched every tutorial Jenny produced .. many times over... and feeling like I'd learned my lessons... (WRONG!!!) and purchased fabric for another quilt. That one was at least good enough to take to the LQS to be quilted. When I picked up the quilt, I was so thrilled, so excited and proud... I practically ran to the phone to call Jenny. I didn't even consider that she was busy running a business….I just dialed the phone and asked for her. When she came to the phone, I felt foolish for bothering her but she was so gracious and understanding of my excitement. We talked about 10 minutes and she made me feel totally relaxed and comfortable. I LOVE JENNY... she's such an amazing lady. I still watch every tutorial Jenny makes and I’ve made lots of her quilts.

I'm so impressed by the entire Doan family!! They are a wonderful example of what a loving, hard working devoted family can accomplish. They really are the American Dream and I wish them love, health and joy. I'm sure you agree they have brought us all so much joy

Thanks for staying through this long and rambling bio. I loved reading all of your bios… thank you for sharing them with me.
        ~ Judy

When God adds a period, I'm trying very hard not to add a question mark!

Comment

This is fun reading!

Who's next?
          Donna

Comment

Hello,
            I'm Liz, and very often dizzy LOL. I'm 49, married to my wonderful DH 33 years in July. I have 2 daughters, 20 and 31. My Mom taught me to sew as a child. Oh the projects we have done. I was always intrigued by quilting, but had never done it. In October 2011 my youngest moved out on her own. I had BAD empty nest syndrom. I raised my 2 girls, a niece, and 2 nephews....honestly I've been helping raise children my whole life....I was devastated. It was like having a job i loved, and after 30 years being fired. I had no idea what to do with myself. I was surfing the net and came across Jenny's tuts......I think I watched them all over a weekend LOL. I was hooked. I turned my upstairs loft into a sewing studio.......that was so fun........now it takes up the entire upstairs LOL. I am in love for the second time in my life....DH and now quilting LOL. I work as a senior Pharmacy Tec, and my job gets very stressful, my studio is my haven. My DH is so wonderful and supportive....he can tell when I need sewing time......with a gentle nudge he will say, Baby, let all this stuff wait, go upstairs for awhile. He is even so excited about my October trip, claims I'm going to Paducah and MSQ no matter what. See why i love him so.

Liz

Next.........
            Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

Gosh I have enjoyed reading this so much!! What a wonderful quilting family we have here :-)

Next...
              Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

bumping up....
                Donna

Comment

Hi, I think I am still a Newbie to MSQC forums. I'm a girl. LOL. I have beem married to my husband 27 years this summer. We have 7 kids(6 boys & 1 girl), and 8 grandkids (6 boys & 2 girls). Whom we adore! He served 26.5 years in the NAVY just retiring as a Leuitenant one year ago this month. We have lived on both the East and West coasts, both top and bottom of the US and a few places in between. A few years ago we returned to our home state of Missouri (just 45 minutes from MSQC). We bought a we bit of land near a lake with our dream home on it. We saved up all during our NAVY life and dh had a pool installed for me. He got a boat and we started to relax. We love having huge family events at our house for holidays or any day! This year, I bought a Janome and am loving piecing quilts all the more. I also Scrapbook, and have for more than 10 years. My craft room does double duty for both hobbies.

I'm not new to quilting really. But, not nearly as experienced or as talented as some of the ladies I've seen here. I was inspired to quilting by two quilt tops I inherited from my great granny 22 years ago. Before that, I had only done some sewing in High School Home Ec class. Nothing to brag about. After I received granny's quilts, I made my first quilt. Hand sewn french knots in an Amish Star pattern, full bed size. A few years later, I discovered Eleanor Burns, Trip around the world, quilt in a day pattern, and rotary cutting. That summer I made 4 quilts, including a Ohio Star, I ruined. LOL. Lesson learned. "Use only 100% Cotton quilting fabric". Now I have made quilts for all of my children, twice, all of my grandkids, my in laws, some family members and good cherished friends. I have only 3 of my own I have kept, plus my granny's.

PS: I found MSQC looking for fabric online.
                  Last edited by kensington; February 10th, 2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Hallo Martina: Icon_wave:
                    Bin ein Neuling in diesem Forum, Und was es mir so furchtbar schwer macht sind meine wenige Englisch Kenntnisse.
                    Das Quilten habe ich vor kurzem entdeckt bin noch nicht weltmeisterin aber ich habe eine Menge Spass dabei.
                    Hier sind noch einige infos;: : D
                    Bin52 Jahre habe zwei erwachsene Söhne von 27,28 Jahren und verheiratet mit einem sehr geduldigen mann : D
                    Bin als Kosmetikerin und med. Fußpflegerin tätig.
                    Gruss aus Bad Vilbel Deutschland monimoni

Comment

I hope it is ok to translate monimoni:
                      She would like to join the forum, but does not speek english that well. Short time ago she found out that quilting brngs alot of fun.
                      She is 52 years old, has 2 adult sons and a very patient husband. She works as cosmetics and podology. She sends regards from bad vilbel, germany.

Comment

The list next to my pc with your nick names and your real names is growing. At the moment some people chnge their avatar, i am lost ...
                        But this thread is a big tresur

Comment

Originally posted by monimoni View Post
                          Hallo Martina: Icon_wave:
                          Bin ein Neuling in diesem Forum, Und was es mir so furchtbar schwer macht sind meine wenige Englisch Kenntnisse.
                          Das Quilten habe ich vor kurzem entdeckt bin noch nicht weltmeisterin aber ich habe eine Menge Spass dabei.
                          Hier sind noch einige infos;: : D
                          Bin52 Jahre habe zwei erwachsene Söhne von 27,28 Jahren und verheiratet mit einem sehr geduldigen mann : D
                          Bin als Kosmetikerin und med. Fußpflegerin tätig.
                          Gruss aus Bad Vilbel Deutschland monimoni
                          Willkommen heire!
                          sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                          The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
                          A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
                          And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Renate View Post
                            I hope it is ok to translate monimoni:
                            She would like to join the forum, but does not speek english that well. Short time ago she found out that quilting brngs alot of fun.
                            She is 52 years old, has 2 adult sons and a very patient husband. She works as cosmetics and podology. She sends regards from bad vilbel, germany.
                            Hey thanks! I was so curious. I also wondered if there isn't a program for the computer that translates or something like that. When she joins, is there an english option so is she types in German, it posts in English? If not, someone should invent that!

Comment

I'm still a newbie and since I'm sort of quiet (until you know me LOL) and don't post a whole ton I'll fill you in on me.

My name is Dena and I am 38 years old. A SAHM of 4 -3 boys, 1 girl ages 13, 10, 8, and 5. My husband and I just celebrated out 14th anniversary last week. Both born and raised here in Michigan, and live in the same city that I was born and raised in hes trying to get me out of the city and back to where he's from LOL but its sort of like pulling teeth.

I have only been quilting maybe the last 6 months, I am not sure how I came across the M*QC tutorials but once I did I was hooked. I can some what crochet but its very hard on my wrists and a slow go, sewing is much more quicker for me. I'm learning and teaching myself as I go along, I never really sewed much in the past.
                              I am happy to have run across the site and forum I was a little lost once my youngest started Kindergarten full time this year and it was just me here at home most days of the week. Quilting keeps me busy while I am here alone, I am sure my husband would rather me get a job instead of buying more fabrics.

So that is a little but about me, I have enjoyed reading these and learning more about other forum members.
                              Dena :icon_hi:

Comment

Ok just a little about me. I am 56 soon to be 57 married for the last 22 years to my best friend Wayne. I have a 30 year old daughter and two wonderful grandsons. Two years ago our best friend Sue moved from WV to live with us which turned out to be a true blessing. We live in the small town of Ponchatoula, LA which is about 40 miles north of New Orleans. We live on my parents land they have three acres and one this three acres is my parents home, my brother and his wife have a home here, also my daughter has her own place here. I work six days a week for a Self Storage take care of over 700 storage units. And yes we have auctions once a month. It was just a little over 15 months ago that Wayne was told that he has lung cancer. It was last May that I went on line to teach myself to quilt. I wanted to make a quilt for Wayne so on those days that he is feeling bad and I have to work he can wrap himself up with something I had put a lot of love into. This way I can be with him and hope he feels a little comfort and love. Since that time my sewing room has become my little place of escape when the world becomes just to much for me to deal with.

I would like to thank everyone here who has giving us love and prayers. I feel like everyone here is a Sister or Brother thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                                X