Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Should I change my name to chat killer???

Rhoni Ann - My message above this one was in reply to you. I will get the hang of this...
    Maggie

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

Comment

Hello I am Suzanne and I am new to the forum. I have lived in Spain for over 20 years but I am originally from New York. I am crazy about fabrics and quilting is my favorite way to use my stash. This is my first forum of any kind. I hope to learn what's new in quilting and where I can find answers to things like legalities of copyrights. I love meeting quilters, they are always kind and natural and easy to make friends with. I look forward to meeting all of you!!

Comment

Hello everyone. My name is Teresa and I'm finishing up my second quilt, (rail fence pattern, lap size, stipple quilting, custom binding), and in the planning stages for my third, (flannel rag quilt, larger than lap, smaller than twin). My first quilt was inspired by my mother in law who passed last year and left me her machine, fabric, supplies, patterns, etc... I had no idea what I was doing, (still don't), but turned all her left over scraps into a brick pattern quilt. Very amateurish, but I was hooked. When the kids were young, many years ago I sewed their play clothes, Halloween costumes that sort of thing, but dropped it as life got too busy. Glad to have found this forum and already much smarter about quilting than when I arrived.

Comment

Good Evening

My name is Debi/aka Lily. I live in Northeast Florida. I am 60 years old now, were did time go...I have been quilting since 2014, before that I learned to sew when I was 13. I have a stash of about 10 totes not small medium to Large. Hubby was surprised, when I said, that we had to have room for some of my fabrics and sewing machines (we were getting ready for Hurricane Irma). I have made 3 quilt tops, I am working on a 4th with other things in between.

I have a Singer sewing machine that I burn the motor up, I got a Brother PRW 80-80, and to replace the Singer I got a Janome Sewist 500. Well, then Babylock came out with a new Machine....I had to have it, I kept a picture of it on my PC Desk top....so when I turn on my PC it was there....Well, Santa came early for me I got my Babylock Jazz. Oh, I am so excited to learn how to use it, and make it do all the wonderful things it can do. I am still learning how to do things, in quilting...I have not even started on curves yet. I love MSQC . Thanks for allowing me to be here

Debi...

Comment

Hi,

My name in Deanna (age 62) from Iowa. I am married, have a son & a (married) daughter with four children. I love being a very busy grandma! The kids are all very active and keep us on the run. One of my interests outside of quilting is reading and I usually read around 100 books a year. Guess that's why my fabric stash keeps growing...I have my nose in a book! We are also huge sports fans and my favorite teams are: the Iowa State Cyclones, the St. Louis Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers. My husband tells everyone that I'm the bigger fan than he! I have many projects on my "to do" list and when I retire I plan to sew lots. My favorite fabric lines are from Sweetwater and Tim Holtz. Almost everything I make is given as a gift. I recently bought a free motion foot for my sewing machine as I want to learn to finish my own projects. Wish me Luck!!

Comment

Hello Deanna, welcome to the forum from Michigan! No worries, many of us have stashes and love it! We just won't live long enough to sew it all up......ohhhh, the possibilities! So happy you've joined us.

💫 Star lover

Comment

Thank you. Curious...just how cold is it where you live? I'm in the SW corner of IA and our lowest temp so far this winter is -15. I don't mind the cold as much as I do the wind. (I walk to work so hate the wind chill). Love my hot coffee! My sister who passed away from cancer loved cats....you made me smile.

Comment

Well, it's Michigan and our motto is, of you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it'll change. Yesterday we hit 54'. But today, wow! Dropping like a rock to 20, with wind chill in the minus territory. It's raining now, will turn to ice and then 7-9" of .....white stuff. Our lows are going down to single digits. Guess it's all relative. You kinda get used to what you got....... not really. You just bear with it until it gets better. Your weather sounds bad to me. Just wait....only a few weeks to spring!
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

My name is Nolee and I live in Rochester, NY. I forgot I even subscribed to the forum back in 2011 until just now, so I guess I'm a newbie too. I am a new widow and am trying to find where I belong and how I can serve others. I crochet blankets for babies and the elderly so far and find great satisfaction in that, but I feel lost most of the time. We have four daughters and eight grandchildren, the youngest two weeks old. He has two big brothers, 17 and 21. What a joy to have a new baby. They are living with me right now until the builders finish their house.

I hope to learn valuable lessons on this forum so I can start quilting again and make new friends.
                    Courage is fear that has said its prayers!!

Comment

Hello Nolee, welcomed you on another thread but still wanted to say hi. I agree grandchildren are absolute joys!
                      💫 Star lover

Comment

Hi Nolee, thanks for reaching out and I am so sorry about the recent loss of your husband. I think you will find this Forum to be a great source of comfort and inspiration. The people are great and always standing by to give you whatever kind of help or support you need. Plus we are a pretty fun group!!

Comment

Hi I'm Jennifer- I'm not new to quilting but now that my retired hubby and I are newly moved to our lake home I have time on my hands to do grown up things like THIS!!
                          My sewing skills are self-taught. My mother can barely sew on a button and has no interest in sewing besides. I have always been intrigued by fabric and thread. She asked me once after I took a waistband off a pair of her pants, did an alteration, adjusted the waistband and replaced it "how do you know how to do things like that?" The thing is, I just know - its an innate thing. Who else can identify with that?
                          I remember several AHA moments growing up- spending time wandering through local fabric shops just exploring, being intrigued by my aunt's sewing room as a child - she's my mom's older sister who was a tailor, and lived in IL- being amazed by every quilt I ever saw, and amazed with skills of the mother of a guy I dated who repaired vintage quilts by hand.
                          I sewed clothes for my girls when they were little. It was the premier issue (which I still have) of American Patchwork and Quilting that sucked me into quilting (I think there was a quilting bug that jumped out of it and bit me)!
                          I'm not the best or the fastest, but I 100% enjoy it!!
                          I used my college graduation money to buy my first sewing machine and used patterns as my teachers.
                          ​JennieB

Comment

Hello Jennifer and welcome to the forum from .....finally spring, Michigan! I too am self taught and totally addicted! So happy you've joined us!

💫 Star lover

Comment

Hello All,
                              I'm a newbie to this blog, but not to MSQC. I'm Teri from Northern Cali, 55 yrs old. I have 2 grown kids, 30 and 29 they're the loves of my life, and my furry babies - 2 Doxies, and 1 great mastiff. I've been quilting for the past 9 yrs. I became obsessed with fabrics, all colors, all designs, all widths and lengths. It started with me wanting to sew together a few aprons for Christmas cookie baking with my daughter and my sister-in-law. A room full of fabric later - its moved into hoarding... and what do you do with a room full of fabric you might ask.. well if you're me, you find Jenny quilting classes on Craftsy, and become hooked on learning to quilt. So that 1 video gave me the idea to make a quilt for my son when he was in the Army in Germany. I made a Halloween based quilt in a fence rail pattern (as I now know it). I was being simple and creative - no patterns and I didn't dig any deeper on pinterest or youtube. I figured out the squares pattern and the size - then cut everything with scissors (I hadn't discovered rotary cutters) and my Daughter and I whipped that together in a weekend. I was hooked for sure. Next project was a baby quilt in gray and white with elephants - simple and soft - for a baby shower gift.

Then more hoarding and browsing all of Jenny's videos, stocking up on patterns, templates, and rulers, oh and buying a long arm machine and I'm completely obsessed. (Did I mention I converted my formal living room and Dining room into my sewing den? We never used those 2 rooms ever - win win!) Then getting my Sister-in-law involved and we're out of control (like that's a bad thing).

I look forward to meeting and talking to my fellow quilters, sharing and getting advice, and enjoying your projects and ideas.

Comment

Hello Teri and welcome to the forum... my oh my you got bit big time by the quilting bug. I started about 3 years or so ago, simple search for Christmas tree skirt and there was Jenny and her tutorial. And the rest as they say, is history. To me quilting is much more therapeutic than garment sewing for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X