Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

I'm cjnurse, retired from nursing now although that never gets out of your blood. Now the only blood I like to see is a pricked finger. I live in Michigan where it is cold. Going south for a couple of weeks. I want to take along the directions for the quilt for a cause quilt. I finally found clue one. Any ideas how to find clue 2 and 3?

Comment

Hi
      I started quilting after I retired in 2013 after 25 years as an Administrative Secretary in a Library. Did some traveling first but then my good friend said "it's time to start your quilting lessons" so I did. I started small, we made charm pack purses in all sizes then did some table runners and mug rugs. I made a Boston Red Sox lap quilt (only because I didn't understand how much material I needed for a full size) for my son for Christmas. LOL I did a 2 Jelly Roll quilt, have the top done and the stuffing pinned but not finished. Now I am finishing a Disappearing 9 Patch quilt for my brother-in-law. I used material I got from my sister's stash- she passed away this past July and I decided to use her fabric and some of my charm packs to do his quilt. I plan on giving it to him in April on what would have been their 61st wedding anniversary. I'll come back from Massachusetts and finish the jelly roll quilt and start on something new. I'm hooked for sure.

Comment

Hi, my name is Shelia. I am a newbie. I have just recently (in the past 8 months or so) got the quilting bug and have already become addicted to fabric. I call myself a fabricaholic. I stumbled onto one of Jenny's tutorials one day, well...you all know the rest of the story. I have already done 2 quilts for Christmas presents (my mothers and mother-in-law) and have been working on a civil war reproduction fabric quilt for me (got a little side tracked) but haven't finished it yet. I also do craft shows and have made 3 baby quilts to sell, along with quilted baby bibs and burp cloths. I also make soap and I used to read books before I discovered quilting. There is just not enough time in the day to do all the quilting I would like to do.
        Addicted to fabric.

Comment

Tempest Sharp, iowa here. Just learning to sew, and i'm trying to figure out jelly roll quilts... and i watched one of her tutorials and it used the tiny squares with the jelly roll quilt.. where can i get those

Comment

Originally posted by tempraven View Post
            Tempest Sharp, iowa here. Just learning to sew, and i'm trying to figure out jelly roll quilts... and i watched one of her tutorials and it used the tiny squares with the jelly roll quilt.. where can i get those
            You can get them at MSQC (search under mini charm pack) or you can cut your own from fabric that will match your jelly roll.
            SewMuchToDo
            Last edited by SewMuchToDo; March 31, 2015, 04:34 PM.
            ~~Sewin' Love w/ Quilting~~Lucy~~

Comment

Hi. I am Dawn from NC. I was given a sewing machine from my aunt just after my mom passed away. She (my mom) had always wanted to learn to quilt, but never got the chance. I have never sewn before, just watched many tutorials and am excited to learn. But, I've hit a stumbling block. I've figured out how to get the machine running, but my bottom piece of fabric is being pulled through the machine faster than the top piece. I've tried adjusting the tension both up and down, and have even tried to "hold" the bottom piece when feeding it through the machine. Any suggestions would be most welcomed. I have a friend who suggested getting a walking foot, but I would like to know more about it before investing more money. Thank you for any help.

Comment

Hello, my name is Sandy, I'm 52 years old and a complete novice! I enjoy embroidery and just started playing around with quilt blocks. I find I really enjoy applique work and am working on a lighthouse applique quilt at the moment. I have done rag quilts in the past and made random blocks here and there. I just did my first jellyroll race quilt - I think I did something wrong, but will post a picture in another forum and ask for imput.

I suffer from empty next syndrome (only child in the military so it's just me, my hubby and recently adopted terriers)

Comment

Hi Dawn, I can't help you but I bet you would get a quicker reply to your questions if you posted this in the question forum. I posted a question about and hour ago and got about 7 or 8 responses right away. Sorry I can't help you with an answer as I'm a newbie also

Comment

Hello from Oregon. I am new to quilting and got into it through my mother-in-law. She got my daughter hooked back in January and so I agreed to quilt with her as a bonding experience over the next two years before she heads off to college. Needless to say I have found a great hobby that helps relieve stress and I no longer wonder what I am going to do during those empty nester years. I look forward to gleaning information from all of the experienced quilters out there.

Comment

Hi Everyone!!
                      My name is Jodi. I live in Southern Indiana with my DH of almost 3 years. I have 3 sons 31, 29, 28 from a previous marriage. The oldest 2 are married with families of their own. I have 3 Grandsons and a Granddaughter (is she spoiled, you ask YEP she is My youngest is still single. I always wanted to learn how to quilt. I was lucky enough to find on of Jenny's tuts and I was hooked She made it look sooo easy. My first "internet" stop in the morning is MSQC to check out the daily deals. My husband is very supportive of my addiction (quilting) So much in fact, that we removed most of the furniture in the living room (we never sit in there/watch tv) and set up my "sewing factory" LOL
                      My job is very stressful, sewing is my release. Nothing beats ordering off MSQC or going to my local fabric store and letting the creativity flow.
                      Next....

Comment

Hi everyone!
                        My name is Suzi and although I have sewn, knitted, crocheted and almost every other craft out there, I have no started quilting until last July. My father at age 91 was in failing health and my mother who is 85 was having trouble keeping up. I was in a position to be able to retire from my job in the airline industry (and keep my flight benefits for life!) and so that's what I did so I could be available to help my mom. My dad's health worsened and he entered hospice care last June. I needed something to keep my sanity so I went to my local quilt shop and told them I wanted to make a quilt. The tried to convince me to do a lap quilt or wall hanging, but being the stubborn person I am, I insisted on making a king size quilt and I was hooked! My maternal grandmother had quilted all my life but since she lived in Tennessee and I am in Colorado, I didn't enjoy the opportunity to learn from her. My mom also quilts, having started when she retired. Both she and my grandmother hand pieced and hand quilted their quilts but I wanted to machine piece mine. I have currently made 8 quilt tops, quilted 5 of them (along with many of my mother's tops) and am currently working on 3 more. My dad died in July and I finished my first quilt in the 4 weeks surrounding his death. 2 months later, my mom was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and so I am still getting my therapy at my machine. My husband tells me it's cheaper than a "real" therapist. We've been married for 41 years in June and have 2 daughters, a son, 2 son in laws and 4 grandsons. My mom is doing pretty well at the moment. I have always found it ironic that my grandmother, who had quilted for her entire adult life, was denied the right to do so when her health began to fail. My grandfather and bachelor uncle took down her frames and took her material away from her during the last 5 or so years of her life. We weren't close enough to do anything but my mom always said that she would have hung her quilt frame back up and dared them to do anything about it! My dad always said that Mom was "buying big pieces of material, cutting them into little pieces and sewing them back together". She still hand pieces tops but hasn't really felt like doing it much right now. I am machine quilting my (and my mom's) quilts but my dream is to one day have a long arm machine. I am currently working on the BOM quilt from Jinny Beyer and have hand pieced the first 5 blocks. I am amazed at how relaxing hand piecing can be. I just find that my machine pieced quilts stand up better, especially with little boys who drag their "Nana quilts" around. I just ventured onto this site about 2 months ago and did the mystery quilt for a cause and had a ball doing it. I have so many patterns I want to get to but I am still building my stash and don't have all that I "think" I need (surely someone out there identifies with me!) I know there are lots of clubs and guilds out there for quilters but I have not yet found one so I spend my time alone figuring out my next project. It is so refreshing and nice to find and feel a kinship to a group of crafters who understand the obsession and drive that quilting awakens in me. I am not overly computer literate so I know I miss a lot of things on this site--but I keep trying!

Comment

Hi my name is Susan. I am 61 years old and have been an optician since I was 20. I live in Central New Jersey USA on the Raritan Bay with my husband Doc. I have 28 year old twin daughters and a 23 year old step daughter all of them out on their own.
                          I having been hooked on sewing since I was 4 years old. I used to sit on my grandmothers lap while she worked the treadle with her feet I would push the fabric through the machine and we would make clothes for my dolls. My mother continued my sewing education and when I was in Junior High and High School I made most of my own clothes. In my 30's I belonged to a craft guild through my church and would hand quilt every Tuesday night. I've just started machine quilting and like everyone else here found Jenny through Youtube tutorials. My first 3 completed quilts were rag quilt for newborns of family and friends. I decided after making them there was much I didn't know and took a class at my local quilt shop. I am in the midst of piecing the top together. I am so sad that my local shop will be closing at the end of this month but I must persevere and finish on my own. Looking forward to learning a lot from my fellow quilters on here. I also enjoy photography, art and cooking and am looking for ways to incorporate my photography and love of art into my quilting.

Comment

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum!

Comment

Hi Renate,
                              Nice to meet you! I laughed to myself when I saw that you are an eyeglass frame rep. I am an optician in the US. I wonder if that's why we are drawn to quilting? The need for precision and mathmatics? I am looking forward to learning many things here. My user name is Duezie. Happy Quilting!

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm definitely a newbie to the forums. I did a winter mystery quilt project that required a forum "membership." Figured it's time I introduce myself somewhere.

I live in Northern Colorado, am divorced, and share my house with a terrier mix (Dori) and four female cats (Journey, Charlotte, Fric and Frac -- they're twins). I have a son (33) and a daughter (28), two granddaughters (4 and 2) and a grandson (3 months).

Four years ago this month it became obvious that my mother (then 84) was no longer able to live on her own 300 miles away. I moved her into a skilled care center (read nursing home) only 11 miles from my home. A year later I was able to move her into an assisted living facility that gave her more privacy and cost 1/2 of what the skilled care facility did. I visited her 2-3 times a week. We watched Broncos games and Rockies games and movies. We visited sometimes but most of the time I sat quietly in her "living room" while she read in her bedroom or even napped. When I wasn't visiting her, I was watching granddaughters to help out their parents.

Mother passed in October, one week after her 87th birthday, and I found myself with extra time.

I have always loved giving handmade gifts, especially to my mother. In the mid-1990s a coworker had started quilting. She brought in one of her tops and then brought it back after it was quilted. I was intrigued. I had done needlepoint and crocheting and very little sewing. The thought of putting pieces of fabric together using straight lines that could be useful for years excited me.

One Thanksgiving I decided to make a quilt (it ended up king size) for my mother for Christmas. I purchased a book that had a quilt-as-you-go log cabin pattern. I decided to do it in black, cream, gray and red (Mom thought of those as "Navajo" colors) and backed with diaper flannel. I got it finished the morning we were leaving for Mom's for Christmas and she was amazed. (She told me she never would have thought I could do a quilt.) She didn't use it on her bed very long because it was so heavy, but it's waiting for me in her cedar chest in storage.

I made a wall hanging that my daughter appropriated for her "blankie" and a sunflower quilt for my bed and then I put the sewing machine away and said I'd get back to quilting "someday."

My daughter-in-law and son announced last summer they were expecting a little boy. Wanting to make something lasting from grandma, I decided to make him a quilt. I had a Storybook Playtime charm pack so I ordered 3 more and set out to make the Plus Sign Quilt, using 2 1/2' squares instead of 5" squares. I backed it with Superman fleece, and bound it with baby blue satin blanket binding.

I have finished a Jelly Roll Race top and the mystery quilt top. I'm working on the Illusion Quilt for my son's 10th anniversary in November. I look at these as legacy pieces for my family.

I watch each of the tutorials that Jenny does, buy more fabric, and make plans for future projects.

Thanks for listening to my rambles. Quilt on my friends!

Comment

Working...
                                X