Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi I am Grammy Pam to 5 little ones. My Hubby and I live in Florida in the wonderful community of Sun City Center in an area called Kings Point. I like to quilt, do stained glass and paint. I read as much as I can and we love to travel. I love learning new things and will try almost anything once, some things twice. I love, love, love Jenny and the tutorials. I am currently working on the quilt called The Present! It is so cute.

Comment

hey guys!!

my first time here.. spending too much time browsing around!! lol I'm Cindy from Chicago originally, moved to Brisbane 17 years ago.. wow how time flies! I have 2 grown kids and an adorable 1 year old grandson who live in Chicago. Don't get home nearly enough, but life is good in Australia! I recently started learning about quilting. Made a rag quilt and tried my hand at Trapunto with a panel quilt I made for the new baby.. lol LOTS of practice and learning needed still.. I promised my daughter a queensize quilt and have been studying Jenny's tutorials and I think I found "the one" lol now all i need is fabric!.. here's where the choice gets really hard!
      hopefully I'll be a regular here.. I look forward to getting to know you guys!
      cheers
      cindy...

Comment

Hello all, my name is Eithne, I live in NC have been married 49 years this month have a daughter son inlaw and two wonderful grandsons. I enjoy quilting knitting reading.........hope to get to know you all

Comment

Hi all;
          I just signed on tonight, and am looking forward to getting to know you all.
          I live in Washington State, in the little town of Seabeck. I learned to quilt about 32 years ago,
          made 2 quilts then went on to the next craft. I had 2 sons, my oldest Josh would have been 37 now,
          but he passed on when he was 15. and my youngest Nick will be 31 this year. They both are/were
          special needs guys. I also have my dad and my hubby ,of 41 years, in residence, along with 5 cats, 34 chickens and 10 ducks.
          I got started back in quilting to have something to do while waiting for dad and hubby to get done on their respective physical therapy sessions last year. I'm working on a couple of baby quilts right now, and waiting (rather impatiently) for hubby to finish putting my Tin Lizzie 18 quilting frame together. That's pretty much it for me.
          Kathy U.

Comment

Hi Granny Judy. I see you live along the Il river in central Il. I was raised in Havana - also on the river and 40 miles south of Peoria. What town do you live in. Marcia

Comment

Hi !
              I joined MSQC forum as a lurker in 2011......in 2012 I began to ask questions etc. There's so many awesome and talented people here on this forum to ask questions if needed !!
              I began sewing in 1979 when my DD was just a newborn. We moved to Illinois so that my DH Terry ( he passed away in 2002 ) could go to college. For my 25th b-day ( opps now I am revealing my age !! ) DH Terry gave me a brand-new Kenmore sewing machine. I laughed when I opened that heavy box....I said " What do you expect me to do with a sewing machine...?? " He thought that I could learn to sew !!! The Next day I called my MIL and she laughed too when I told her the story of unwrapping my B-day gift...but believe it or not my dear MIL taught me how to sew over the telephone ! The first advice she gave me was to get a couple of JIFFY Patterns ( Simplicity made them back then, and I see that Simplicity tis bringing the JIFFY patterns back ! Anyway, MIL told me that the first few garments I made that I would probably want to throw out....but everyone has to learn somehow. Over the years I made everything my DD wore except her socks and tights ! My DD Mysti Dawn loved pinafores and dresses, and I loved sewing for that little girl of mine. Over the years, I have made prom dresses, wedding gowns ( for family members ) and now I have grandkids to make things for.
              When I stumbled on this site, I was so thrilled......it was amazing that I found it during one of my surfing days!!!!!
              As far as quilting, I haven't started one yet, but have watched a lot of Jenny & her family's tutorials. I have made tote bags, table runners, receiving blankets etc.
              Now.....I really want to get ready for quilting !!! The NEWEST Tutorial that Jenny just did took my breath away ! So, I quickly ordered the fabric I wanted for the quilt ( I love the new lilac charm pack from Debbie Beaves.....) I am going to make the quilt, curtains for my room etc....I am so excited !!!
              I also want to make another quilt .....with the " More This & That " from Nancy Halverson. This quilt is the Flower Garden Quilt with Sashing......oh I could go on and on......I love the skate board quilt that Jenny and the guy from Man Sews did last Friday too. I have a list of things to make that is taller than I am....!!! Quilting is ....well, my absolute fav hobby right now.
              Below are the quilts I plan to make this year !!

The Spring Dresden Quilt
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8aXceggwU

The Orange Peel Quilt
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyAig7XupI

The Illusion Block Quilt
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBSZxu3nHDI

The Skateboard Quilt
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Akr61m134

So you see I am really into wanting to make quilts. I ordered the charm packs and other materials to make the Spring Dresden Quilt....
              BUT ..here's my dilemma......I get bored easily working on one sewing project at a time !! Any suggestions for the 2nd Quilt ? I am going to start the Spring Dresden Quilt as soon as the supplies come from MSQC !!!
              Last edited by redcaboose1717; February 13, 2015, 03:33 PM.
              Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
              http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Hello all!
                I just joined and it's exciting! I love fabrics, colors and Jenny's tutorials. I live in Spain, and started quilting a few years ago, when I lost my job and had lots of free time. Today, it's a way of distraction and do something with my hands. I want to try the mystery quilt, it'll be my first mystery. Let's hope it goes great!

Comment

Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
                  Hi! . . . ....
                  BUT ..here's my dilemma......I get bored easily working on one sewing project at a time !! Any suggestions for the 2nd Quilt ? I am going to start the Spring Dresden Quilt as soon as the supplies come from MSQC !!!
                  Go for the Illusion Quilt!
                  That one seems like a lot of fun and looks pretty easy to complete quickly (it's on my list, too).

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                  The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Hello everyone!

This is my first time here, My name is Sara and I live in Spain, I've seen there're other Spanish quilters here!
                    I'm 29 and I started sewing at 15, I was taking embrodery lessons at that time and my mother bought me my first sewing machine to practice at home. A year later I sew a couple of bags that I gave to my family. I didn't have enought time to study so I gave up sewing for a long time. (I still have the same sewing machine by the way, because I love it and when I use it, I always think about my mom.)

When I move to Pamplona (another city in Spain), over six years ago I had the chance to take some patchwork lessons and I just fell in love with this technique. I did some researchs on the net and I met Jenny in youtube. At the begining I didn't understand what she was saying because of the language (I didn't speak any English three years ago) but I watched what she was doing and more or less I was able to follow her instructions. As far as I watched more of her videos it became easier to understand and I was learning English having a lot of fun and without studying! The jelly roll race tutorial was amazing! I'd laughted like never before and I thought "I really should make that quilt". I saw other videos and I thought the same, "This quilt seems easy, I should make it too". I want to make a lot of quilts, I have a huge list actually!

My boyfriend and I bought an appartment a few months ago and I can't stop thinking what can I do for decorating my new home: some table runners, some bed quilts, every wall seem perfect to hang a quilt! but then I feel myself overwhelmed: wich design will fit better?, what colors should I choose?, wich project should I start with first? Do I have enough of this fabric for this design? Maybe I shoud choose another one.... At the end I find myself sitting at the floor, surrounded with all my fabrics (and I have tons of them), choosing between fat quarters, jelly rolls, scraps all over... And finally I'm not sure what to do and I don't do anything. Well, that's why I'm here today. I'm sure other quilters have had the same problem and I'm sure you could help me making up my mind. And of course I will help you too!

Thank you in advance for your support! (and sorry for the mistakes in the text)

Comment

Hello!
                      This is my first time to say Hello to all of you. My Name is Jenny, I´m 43 years old and I´m from Germany. I was sewing clothes for my children (8 and 10 years old) since they are born.

A few weeks ago I saw the tutorials here for the first time. And I loved it! I was so impressed! It was so much fun to watch one after another. I was doing one quilt for my daughter and I think I did every mistake, but it was so great. Now I´m doing the second one and it is going so well!

Have fun! Jenny

Comment

Hi my name is Ann and I am from Southern Il. I have been quilting for as long as I can remember ( well watched Grandma and helped when she would let me.) She was and is my inspiration tho I lost her many years ago. I have recently became a longarm quilter and truel enjoy the free hand motion it gives me100_5502.jpg100_5571.jpg100_5244-002.jpg Attached are 3 of the many quilts I have done. I have three grown children and 5 grandkids that I so love and hope that one day they will continue the tradition and my passion.

Comment

HI all - I am a very very newbie - joined today. I have never been part of a forum or a blog so I'm really looking forward to this experience. I am Debbie, I'm 55 and live in Connecticut. I've been quilting for about seven years. I had wanted to learn to quilt for many years and signed up for a "beginners" quilt class. I quickly realized I didn't even know how to use my machine. Ugh... I found an adult ed class to learn how to use my machine and found instead the most wonderful teacher and friend. And here I am seven years later addicted like the rest of you And having so much fun. I am looking forward to getting to know each of you.

Comment

Hi, my name is Barbara and I live in Missouri. I'm 69 and thoroughly enjoy quilting. In 2003 I retired from full-time work and took quilting classes from a dear lady who does all her quilting by hand. So, I learned marking, cutting, piecing everything by hand. My first project was a sampler quilt, followed by a few BOMs and a t-shirt quilt. Then I went back to crochet for awhile. Now I'm back into quilting and made a few baby quilts I have a great husband, 3 grown children, 3 grandchildren, and 2 great-granddaughters.
                            Last edited by jbredroc; February 20, 2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to using a forum, so here goes nothing. My name is Kristy and I've been sewing for over 40 years, but never tried quilting until a few years ago. My husband bought me a set of quilting lessons and I fell in love. Unfortunately, until this past couple of years quilting took a backseat to teaching second grade. After teaching for 27 years I retired, and discovered plenty of time to quilt!!! Now I try to work on a quilt every day. Most days I meet that goal, but occasionally I don't. I wish I had been bit by the quilting bug when my grandmother was still alive, as she tried many a day to teach me how to hand quilt, but back then it looked boring. So now I sit and try to learn how to hand quilt as I look at the Grandma's Garden that my Grammie made me that hangs in my house along with the one she and my Great-Grandmother made for my dad when he was little. Luckily my daughter has just recently been bit by the quilting bug so I know another generation in my family will love the art of quilting along with the quilts she will inherit someday.

Comment

Hello everybody I am Cindy from WV am 57 yrs. young and I just got started with quilting about two months ago. Like a lot of you I started watching Jenny on you tube and that's all it took. I use to work in a sewing factory yrs. ago and loved it. After that I went to work in a plant called Geniune Parts Co. which was very hard and physical and with me being a small person it took a toll on me. I am now on disability and have a lot if time on my hands so quilting is a blessing. I hate sewing by hand, but love sewing by machine go figure. Any way been married to my husband for 30 yrs. with 2 step son's and 4 grandchildren 2 dogs and 1 cat until yesterday had to have my dear cat put down. She was 17 yrs. old. That's about it happy sewing to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X