Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hello to the new members here.

I have just spent an hour or so rereading these posts. It is amazing how many have joined but do not post.

Let's keep this going.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

OK, I'll take my turn... (I know this thread was intended for established members to introduce themselves to newbies, but it seems to work for newbie intro's as well.)

My name is Lori or Lorraine (I answer to either), and I live in East Tennessee (yes, I know where Soddy Daisy is!) I retired (earlier than planned due to a layoff) a couple years ago and recently took up quilting.

My mother made many of my sister's and my clothes, so it was natural for me to begin hand-sewing clothes for my dolls at about age 10. (Mom wouldn't let me use her sewing machine until I took Home Ec. in junior high.) Also in elementary school an aunt taught me to crochet and another relative showed me how to embroider dresser scarves and pillowcases. Since then I've rarely been without some sort of craft project going.

Last year, I decided I wanted to make a quilt for my queen-sized bed. Everything I read suggested that something smaller would be a much better first quilting project, so I opted to make a quilt for my granddaughter's twin bed. Well, it WAS smaller that a queen! Besides, I guess I've always been somewhat of an over-achiever! Anyway, I made log cabin squares and three Greek crosses and put them all together. Before giving it to her, we used it on the altar at the contemporary service at church. Needless to say, she was thrilled with both the gift and the fact that it had been blessed during worship. When I figure out how to post pictures, I'll let you see it.

I made several small items as Christmas gifts and hope to actually start on the quilt for my bed soon. First, I need to finish curtains that have quilt blocks along the bottom edge. Never let your hands remain still for too long...

Comment

Originally posted by Renate View Post
        Hi again,
        I always come back and come back to this thread and read who you are, where you from, what do you tell us from yourself and all around you, thanks for sharing a little part of your life with us.
        I meet so many nice people here, but nobody from Switzerland. Maybe one day ...
        I have Swiss ancestors. Does that count?

Comment

I was born and raised in Iowa and when I remarried, I moved to Iceland. My husband/love of my life is a born and raised Icelander. We had been set up on a blind date by my friend and my husband's brother. We met in the Minneapolis airport in 2004 and it was love at first site. We had an international relationship for 3 years. He took me to Paris in 2006 and we were engaged there. We were married in 2007 and he took me to Poland for a honeymoon. I have 3 grown kids in the US and two grandchildren. He has 4 grown kids and 7 grandkids. We are very lucky in that all of the kids get along great.

As a side note to the above: my wish when I was young was to join the Navy and be stationed in the North Pole. Then I was going to marry a Swede. Funny how it worked out. I live in Iceland (66 north) and I married an Icelander.

I learned to quilt from my grandma who hand pieced and hand-sewed every quilt she ever made. I have all of her old templates and such. My first quilt was one from 100 year old fabric that had been passed down in the family. I kept that quilt. I like to do my quilting for gifts although I have some some too. I made several Linus quilts and donated them to a Duluth, Minnesota hospital in rememberance of a friend of mine that died from pancreatic cancer. I love to use bright colors or as I say "quilts to keep you awake at night."

Since I live in Iceland, knitting is a huge hobby here. I think people are born with knitting needles in their hands (ouch). I started on circular needles and I am teaching myself on double-points, using 4 at a time. I am determined to master that.

Evilyn-I am learning Icelandic and it also is a pain. Too many versions of the same word and too many rules. My goal is to learn Russian, Finnish, Polish and Norwegian. My husband laughs and says that I could pick something easier. Like Icelandic....
          Last edited by mommadeb; January 3, 2014, 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hello! I'm a new member to this forum and recently posted to the other "introduce yourself" thread, but why not post here as well??

I've been quilting for about 7 years now. I started quilting when my husband bought me an antique treadle sewing machine for Christmas one year. I'd always wanted to learn how to quilt (had only done counted cross stitch to that point), so his sister taught me how to quilt on the treadle. My first project....a king-sized quilt using a split 9-patch blocks with 2" squares!!! I had no idea what I was in for, but I was hooked.

My husband kept buying antique sewing machines (treadles and hand cranks) and I kept buying fabric. The UPS truck probably earned frequent flyer miles delivering all my orders! It came to the point where we either had to add on the house or start a quilt shop....and we chose the later.

We had a quilt shop for almost 3 years. Kevin was the primary longarm quilter (custom work...no computer) and I ran the front of the shop and pieced custom quilts. We really enjoyed the shop and the quilters we met, but we just couldn't make it work in a small town (at least with our situation). So....we converted our garage to a quilting studio and moved our 2 longarms homes (yes...I do run a LA also. I just prefer to piece!).

We have 2 sons (ages 20 and 15). Both learned how to make quilt tops on hand-crank antique sewing machines, although I don't think either would tell their buddies! lol. We always have a huge garden (and can/freeze hundreds of jars/bags a year). I do transcription work from home (and have for almost 9 years now). My goal is to get our home quilting business going stronger so that I can quit the MT business and just concentrate on the quilting.....from my lips to God's ears

I've really enjoyed reading this 16-page thread about everyone....what an amazing group of quilters are on this board!

Happy quilting!

Christine
            Cedar Valley Quilts

Comment

Hi Donna. My name is Dianne. I started sewing at age 11, making my own clothes. I recently started quilting after a friend suggested I try it. I found Jenny on YouTube, and am doing my best to watch all her videos. I am having SO much fun!

Comment

Hi Christine. Sorry your shop didn't work out. But great you're continuing with your quilting. Hope you can go back to it fulltime soon!
                I'm just starting to quilt. Haven't decided yet whether I'll do the longarm quilting myself, or hire it out. Time will tell. I love the old treadle machines. We had my grandmothers old one for years. But then someone decided to give it to my aunt Mary, who couldn't sew! I was blessed to receive a Singer Featherweight as a graduation gift from Junior High in 1964. The machine and I are still sewing up a storm all these years later!
                Dianne

Comment

Hello my name is Christine. Live in Upstate NY. 61 year old widow for 4 yrs now. Two boys 37 and 30 and a grand dog named Riley,who I have made a quilt and a Christmas stocking for . I love to quilt have been doing so since my sister introduced me 12 years ago. I have made many many and most of them have gone to my oldest son who lives in MI. Given away to my very best friends and sometimes to people I don't even know . I love to sit and sew. But it's the fabric that I fall in love with. Hope I'm not the only one that just buys because its so beautiful and can't bare to cut it. Lived in central Florida for 12 years and moved back home after the death of my husband. My sister (that got me hooked) and I quilt a lot together. And yes must admit that sometimes we don't agree ,but we still have fun.

Comment

Hi Dianne. My name is Christine. I also found Jenny on and sit and watch her videos. ,
                    she makes me laugh and have found that she is very easy to understand. Would love to take a trip out to the shop but afraid I would be broke from buying all her beautiful fabric.

Comment

Hello from Independence Missouri. I am Jackie just celebrated my 60th birthday and am retiring in June. I can't wait to have all day to spend my days quilting. I grew up sewing and didn't quilt until about 10 yrs ago. I have 3 children, 2 girls and 1 son, a wonderful daughter in law who I am teaching to quilt and 5 grandkids, 4 girls and 1 boy.

I have learned so much from this sight and welcome everyone to it.

Jackie
                      :icon_wave:

Comment

Hi Everybody! I'm new here and anxious to become a part of your forum. I retired from teaching special ed middle schoolers in January of 2011 after doing that for 34 years here in Pensacola, Florida. I loved working wth special needs teenagers but now have a brand new love-quilting...of course. I'd never really sewn much other than making some clothes for my two kids when they were young but I knew I wanted to try quilting. So, in May of 2011, I took the plunge and never slowed down. I purchased some books and watched a lot of Fons and Porter and gradually taught myself the process. Just recently I was introduced to Jenny Doan's world and I LOVE HER! Her tutorials are just great and FUN! She was near here in Baker, Florida recently and I got to meet her and participate in her workshop. What a sweet, funny, down to earth person she is! And, she makes piecing even more fun and easy with her techniques with precuts. I never bought them before but I surely do now. I've made 43 quilts (all sizes and styles) since I started! Obviously, I don't do much of anything else.

I have a wonderful husband, also retired, who supports me completely. He bought me my amazing BabyLock Symphony and my new Tiara sit down quilter AND a huge Koala sewing table/cabinet. I'm very very fortunate to have him, I know. Along with our sweet lab, Buddy, we do travel some. We've been to Nova Scotia several times, Alaska and to just about all the national parks in the country. I'm always ready to get back and quilt some more though. So, that's my story, folks. Thanks for listening. I look forward to hearing what others here with the quilting bug are up to.
                        Last edited by KwiltKatt; January 22, 2014, 12:03 PM. Reason: I wanted to add how I know about Jenny.

Comment

Hi kwiltkatt and welcome to the forum. I come back to this page quite often and enjoy reading the posts.. I hope you settle in, have fun and get encouragement for all the great peeps here.

Comment

Hi, my name is Barb and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I finally worked up the nerve to try quilting after watching several of Jenny's tutorials. I have made a few practice blocks, the double hour glass using the tube method and just tonight started my first quilt for a soon to arrive little friend! We have had a hard cold winter, prompting me to stay indoors, so why not create? I have 3 dogs and two cats to keep me company while my husband is away 2 out of 4 weeks, and a granddaughter next door who I love to have come visit!

Comment

Hello all of you what nice and interesting people there is here. I am newbie patty from West Salem Ohio. I did write a small paragraph
                              about me. I got bit by the bug back in 1977 in Southgate Michigan. Took a class at the local high school and have not looked back just keep on sewing and loving all the process of quilt making. I am married to the same wonderful man now for 51 years. We raised 3 children 2 boys and girl. Many animals. And a few of our neighbor kids too. I have 6 grandchildren and one great grandchild,Blaze. He is a fun boy.I do not know for sure how many quilts i have made in those years I know it is a lot!!.Plus I like to craft and be outside as well. For those of you who are from AZ I lived there for 8 1/2 years in an area called Miami, Globe, and Claypool was a fun time.. Have many quilt friends from there. I and another started up the local guild for Globe . That state has a wonderful state guild and lots of great people in it. I am glad to meet to you all Take me a while i will learn my way around this group.
                              Patty

Comment

Hi, I'm JCY, a 71 y.o. retired RN. I began quilting years ago when I used my husb's square to cut a square pattern from a brown paper groc. sack. Pieces were cut out using scissors. I used yarn to tie the quilts. I learned to sew in Jr. High on my mom's treadle machine & in Home Ec. After I retired, I took a beginner's quilting class & learned all about rotary cutters, cutting mats, a scant 1/4" seam etc. I'm hooked on quilting. I make mostly baby quilts for shower gifts or for charity, but have made several larger quilts for family members. I also enjoy reading & flower gardening. It's currently snowing in CO; we're supposed to have 7" by tomorrow. Some areas of the mts. are predicted to get 30", which is great for the skiers--if they can get up to the resorts. JCY

Comment

Working...
                                X